Accentuate Writers Forum

Which Glimmer Train contest?

shamrock - 7/16/2014 at 08:18 AM

Hello. I have a 725 word short story I'd like to submit to Glimmer Train. I know the odds are very long, but if even I received an honorable mention from them, I'd be thrilled.

I qualify for the "New Writers" contest, and it doesn't have a minimum word requirement, but says that most entries are 1500-6000 words. My work obviously fits the "Very Short Fiction" definition very well.

Any idea which contest would be more suitable? I assume I should try for the "New Writers" contest, even though most submissions for that will be much longer than mine?

Nancy G. - 7/16/2014 at 01:27 PM

I haven't looked at the Glimmer Train rules in a long while. (Since I last didn't win) I'd think "New Writers" might be a good fit. Look at it this way; it would be a bit short in any category, and since it obviously fits this one, then why not?

shamrock - 7/16/2014 at 05:42 PM

Thank you for the advice. I think you're right. The "Very Short Fiction" category is up to 3000 words, but anyone can enter. I think I'll wait for the "New Writer" contest next month, even though mine will be very short in comparison to most entries.

Michy - 7/17/2014 at 01:23 AM

Why not enter it into both? There's no reason you can't... I've done it before. Good luck whatever you choose!

Also, if the story is complete and compelling, the word count really doesn't matter--it's what the story does for you when you read it that matters, and so if you can make a story compelling in fewer words, so be it!

[Edited on 7-17-2014 by Michy]

shamrock - 7/17/2014 at 10:20 AM

Thanks. I hadn't though of doing that, but maybe it would be worth a shot.

Michy - 7/17/2014 at 11:02 AM

That is, of course, assuming you don't win the first one and take home first place!

shamrock - 7/17/2014 at 12:09 PM

:) If that happens, I'll definitely let you know.

Skwerly - 7/17/2014 at 06:45 PM

Yea, I think that's a great idea!

http://www.glimmertrain.com/writguid1.html