Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Harliquin Opens a Self-Publishing Imprint
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 12/19/2009 at 04:59 PM
Harliquin Opens a Self-Publishing Imprint

http://tinyurl.com/ykzbu2x

I found this very, very interesting... what are your thoughts?

Random House has a self-publishing arm too....

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 12/19/2009 at 05:47 PM

I don't have a problem with it- but Harlequin was slammed because they are adding it to their rejections telling people they could publish throught their self publishing option instead. Which many thought was a huge conflict of interest.

I believe the Romance Writers of America adn 2 other huge writers groups all have send scathing responses. RWA went so far as to say that the removed their endorsement of them and any new Harlequin authors would not be eliglbe for their pro type memberships.

Michy

[*] posted on 12/19/2009 at 05:59 PM

See, here's my thinking on it....

If the book isn't good enough to be published through their regular imprint, then it shouldn't be good enough to be published - period.

Saying, "We don't think this is good enough to put OUR name on it, but if you want to publish it, we'll take your money..."

I do have issue with that.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

flyingbird65
Founding Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/19/2009 at 06:53 PM

OK, maybe I'm off topic a little here but isn't maybe how some people look at writing for web content sites vs fiction/non-fiction. Web content is kind of the "self publish stuff" that isn't good enough make it into print elsewhere?

I agree it does seem a little contradictory for Random House.

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird
Michy

[*] posted on 12/19/2009 at 07:39 PM

Not necessarily, Jeff. It might be that some people don't THINK they are able to publish it elsewhere, and that's the problem I have with the whole system. the self publishing model makes it too easy for people to publish, so those who don't truly believe in themselves but actually could be good writers bypass ever getting recognition and fame and money and contracts while those who really aren't ready or prepared or even good get self published and flood the market.

It's a flawed system... it makes the consumer have to be even more careful about what they choose to read. That's why I like browsing in bookstores, because I can pick up the book and read small sections. If I find major editing errors or issues, I put the book up. I'm a big editing snob.

Cody McFadyen - I love his stories, and he does write well and tells a good story, BUT I'd like to meet his editors and proofreaders, because there are very few rare moments where I might have edited his works slightly differently, and even then, I don't disagree with how they did it.

I can pick up just about any self published book and the first page would be littered with red marks. As an editor, I can't read for pleasure when the book is that littered with simple mistakes that should have been caught.

Online, I'm forgiving - the nature of the online publishing world doesn't demand perfection.

In books, I expect perfection if they want my money. I KNOW how difficult it is to birth a book, and I won't settle for shoddy work, which is why I'm still constantly looking for errors and small changes to make in the books I'm publishing for the contests. I'm not saying all books that are self published are bad either. But when I'm doing book reviews, and I get a bunch of self published books in a row, I have to go and read a bestseller or a trade published novel just to remind myself there is exceptional writing out there. It's not saying the self published novels are bad stories, but they are more like either lumps of coal or uncut and unpolished diamonds, while the best sellers often are cut and polished gemstones.

With the exception of Dan Brown. How that man ever became a best seller is beyond me. He could use a good editor and a smaller ego. But he tells a great story, so I watch the movies, but bypass his mediocre, at best, writing. Still, if he can get published, there's hope for us all. James Patterson would fall into this category for me as well.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Anita M Shaw
Superlative Writer

Mood: Procrastination mode . . .

[*] posted on 2/18/2012 at 03:31 PM

Well, I do self publish, but on my own. I probably wouldn't bother trying at either of these places.

Easy to understand why people don't want to try new self pubbed authors. I have to say, though, the level of editing done on our traditionally pubbed book left a lot to be desired, and it cost us $4000. I could do better, close as I might have been to the story, for nothing. Because I rejected the edits and did do it myself, our publisher went ahead and used our original ms. I had done three edits on the thing. Didn't matter. He was ticked his friend's job was rejected, and punished us.

For now, I'm happy to do ebooks. They are selling slowly but steadily on Amazon for the Kindle. Probably sold more for .99 than I ever did for the $16.50 print book, and will make more in royalties. Sad, but true.

:1206x::)
Romance author site
http://www.NeenahDavisWilson.com

Kids' and YA Author site
http://www.AnitaMShaw.com

Writing is 3% talent and 97% not getting distracted by the Internet. --Anonymous
Michy

[*] posted on 2/18/2012 at 03:36 PM

Anita, if it cost you money to have your book edited, then you were NOT traditionally published. Traditional publishing doesn't charge the author ANYTHING at all, period. Not for editing, not for cover design or anything.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2/18/2012 at 05:35 PM

Michy, I so agree with you. It would help if Amazon would just put the name of the publisher on the listing for the book. Either the publisher's name or 'self-published' or something like that. I download a bunch of free or .99 cent books, and so many of them aren't worth downloading. It's getting worse, too.

Michy

[*] posted on 2/18/2012 at 05:59 PM

Nancy, they do put the publisher's name on it, if the person who puts that book up includes it. All of TTM's e-books show TTM E-Shorts. But a lot of self-published folks are also putting publisher names on them - giving themselves a truly self-published name. If it's through Createspace, I have to be honest, I will rarely buy it. it's not fair to the few authors who are really, really good--and there are some who use Createspace--but the overwhelming majority have been bad, so I haven't been willing to risk it.

I've started 'googling' the publisher's names to see if they are a legit publisher or a front for self publishing too. Again, not always fair. There ARE some good self published books.

I'm 'in the industry', so I'm a bit more aware of the inside stuff that goes on. The average consumer is not. Sadly, that means many of the average readers are simply thinking that books and stories are degrading, that they aren't as good as they used to be... I'm afraid it's turning some folks off to reading in general, because they don't know any better.

I have discovered, though, that those who are avid readers, they tend to be a bit more savvy... so maybe they'll eventually figure it all out too and the cream will rise to the top again.

The problem is, it could take years. In the meantime, we writers are in a tough place.... but I'm still writing. I'm still submitting. I'm still wishing, hoping and dreaming!

I'm also still reading!

Love and stuff,
Michy

melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2/18/2012 at 08:33 PM

I'm leery to say the least. I intend to submit a paranormal romance novel to Harlequin Nocturne this year, but I'd take the mss to Wild Rose or one of the other small presses before I'd go the self-pub route. (Not that I'm anti-self pub.) It's just not for me at this point.

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies