Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Seed.com
melissa
Superlative Writer

Mood: wintery

[*] posted on 6/29/2010 at 09:28 PM
Seed.com

I just signed up for Seed.com and have found quite a few articles that I'm interested in trying.

Does anyone have any experience? Any advice about getting started? I'd love any and all comments, whether good or bad, advice, tips, secrets, or otherwise.

TIA.
Meli
moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 6/30/2010 at 06:25 PM

Meli--
I've had some good luck with them and some not so good. Unfortunately, they ask for a bunch of people to submit articles on their titles and then take one...However, the good titles pay very nicely and some people I know have gotten recurring gigs with them...

susan.ayers
Master Writer

Mood: content

[*] posted on 6/30/2010 at 09:19 PM

I have only written one article for them but it paid well and they paid on time. Someone told me to link to AOL articles throughout the article which I did and it must have worked b/c they purchased it.

melissa
Superlative Writer

[*] posted on 6/30/2010 at 09:48 PM

Thanks both Moonshadow and Susan. :)

Susan, what you mean is something like this, right? The link is about PMS, just to let you know. lol! It was the first thing I really found that had a lot of links in it to other AOL pages.

Thank you for the great advice. I will try that and see if it works.
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 7/1/2010 at 02:15 AM

Yes, that's called anchor text linking, and that's how you should do it, and if you do it on keywords instead of something like 'click here', it's even better for them.

I've sold several to them and had some rejected too - they sometimes even will have the editor contact you for changes if they want your story but it's not exactly what they were looking for - I had a newspaperman contact me, because he wanted to purchase the story but didn't like me using the names of some children I wrote about, even though I only used their first names. We put in 'fake' names and added the appropriate notice that it was a fake name, and he purchased it for $130 bucks.

I've sold several quickies for me for $30, a handful at $50 on a couple of pretty prominent sites with a good byline, and one for $210. Because their style and Suite101's style is similar, I've been putting any articles I don't sell on Seed.com to Suite101 when they reject it, so it's not wasted. A few tweaks to meet their guidelines, and slap it up and it's a break even for me.

Now that I'm sorting through regularly, I'm finding there's just not enough titles that interest me on SEED, so it's only a once in awhile thing for me, and I don't think anyone could write for them exclusively and live off of it, BUT some editors are contacting people to consign articles outside of the SEED system for the AOL sites, and THAT could be quite lucrative for some people.

Good luck with it! I understand they payout every two weeks on a Thursday and except for one time, my payment has always been on time.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
susan.ayers
Master Writer

Mood: content

[*] posted on 7/1/2010 at 06:30 AM

Melissa, that's what I did - I wrote about winterizing your house so linked to some AOL home articles.

Michy, that's good to know about Seed. I know myself (and lots of others) are looking for another venue for which to write :) I am going to visit there more often!

twnkltoz
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7/1/2010 at 07:33 AM

I've written three articles for them so far, and so far I've gotten three "we loved it, but..." rejection slips. I figure I'll keep trying. I'm putting the rejected pieces on Helium or Suite, so if nothing else it gives me article ideas.

melissa
Superlative Writer

[*] posted on 7/3/2010 at 12:15 AM

Thanks Michy, Susan, and twnkltoz!

Twnkltoz, I'm sorry to hear abouy your rejections. The flip side is that you can put them elsewhere, so you didn't do all of that work for nothing.

@ Michy about the available assignments-none of them seem really interesting to me right now or that I feel I could do well on, so I'll just keep checking in.
Randy Inman
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7/15/2010 at 06:14 AM

I submitted 4 and sold 2 for $105 total. I had to wait a week or longer to see if they bought them but I was happy with the pay. Since I didn't get paid for the views I didn't have to worry about promoting them which was cool.

sharkbytes
Literary Master

Mood: slow and steady

[*] posted on 7/15/2010 at 06:19 AM

I submitted one and was rejected. I suppose I should keep trying.

My Quality Day (blog)
Shark Bytes and Tales (author blog)
Shared Reviews (ask how to sign up under me)
Books Leaving Footprints (book sales)
sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 7/15/2010 at 06:57 AM

Well, this was good. I just submitted one more. It was short, so it didn't take long, and if accepted pays $50. Not too painful and a good payoff if taken.

My Quality Day (blog)
sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 7/17/2010 at 10:13 PM

I just submitted two more short ones that would pay $10 each if accepted. They sure don't have much that I know anything about right now- very location-specific topics that I think would be hard to write about without being there... "the best public restrooms in Boston, MA" really? stuff like that. Well, you don't get anything if you don't try, so it's good that I did something, anyway.

My Quality Day (blog)
melissa
Superlative Writer

[*] posted on 7/17/2010 at 10:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sharkbytes  
I just submitted two more short ones that would pay $10 each if accepted. They sure don't have much that I know anything about right now- very location-specific topics that I think would be hard to write about without being there... "the best public restrooms in Boston, MA" really? stuff like that. Well, you don't get anything if you don't try, so it's good that I did something, anyway.

I know what you mean. I kind of just gave up with them for now. I'm not worried about getting anything from them. I'm going to try at some other places. I hear once in awhile they have good assignments. They must be trying to build a travel website or something! Maybe it's what is popular right now since it is summer in the US and people are vacationing.
sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 7/28/2010 at 09:51 AM

Woo hoo! I just had a short article worth $12.50 accepted. First one. Every little bit helps. It's hard to wait the 10 days to 2 weeks to find out though.

My Quality Day (blog)
RaiscaraAvalon
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Too Many Projects!

[*] posted on 7/28/2010 at 02:37 PM

I've had one accepted there so far, for a whipping 12.76. :) I scan often though, just in case.

~Can't Never Could Do Anything.~

http://raiscaraavalon.wordpress.com

~Life's A Journey, Not A Destination.~

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies