Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: FreelanceHomeWriters.com
Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 1/17/2008 at 07:16 AM
FreelanceHomeWriters.com

Okay, I won't link to them so they don't get link backs from the forum here, but I've been seeing this advertisement around the google ads for FreelanceHomeWriters-dot-com and I had someone ask me about them, so I went there to investigate and here's what I discovered.

First, the website looks nice, great colors, professionally done - all well and good, but when you click on more information it takes you to a a really high pressured copywritten sales page that is just not what a 'writer' would typically see for a business posting job offers for writing. It talks about how much money you can make - how if you write three article per day you can make 10,000 bucks per year - wow oh wow, whatever, and man, just think if you do 8-10 per day - you'll be rich rich rich.

Yeah, BS. First, most people can't write quality articles at the rate of 10 article per day every single day. Second, I'm really suspicious that they even have enough listing to cover that many per day for every person who wants to do that many.

So I decided I'd at least give them the benefit of the doubt and check them out before making any further judgments about them. I signed up - something I had to do before I could see job postings, and once I did, I figured I'd be able to see at least a partial listing of jobs.

Boy was I wrong. Instead, once they had my email address (thankfully I use a yahoo address just for testing sites like this one so they can't spam my real email), I was then taken to a screen where I was told that TODAY ONLY! I could get my membership from them not at the high 99.95 they usually charge, but for only 49.95!!!!

They even give a nifty membership card and all that other good crap. You cannot see the job postings unless you pay - so there is no way to see if there is even a job posting.

So I was thinking in my head: SCAM!

So what did I do? I went to read the FAQs and here is #1 listed on their Frequently Asked Questions:

" How do I know this isn't a scam?
Answer: Absolutely not! We wouldn't be able to do business online very long if we were only here to blindly take your money and leave you high and dry. We've been online for nearly 6 years now and are very proud to be legit!"

First - Absolutely not! didn't actually answer the question that was asked, but you know - when it comes down to it, any place that has to actively tell you that they are not as scam are, indeed, usually a scam.

Secondly, they charge a fee without even letting you look at what the site has to offer...

Okay, I wrote this article:

http://selfemployment.suite101.com/article.cfm/tips_for_freelance_c...

Which is about tips for freelance contractors to protect yourself when freelancing, and with the exception of freelance bid sites, no one should EVER pay for a freelance job to the employer themselves. Freelance contract employers pay you - you don't pay them!!!!

Never ever pay someone money to give you job - EVER!

russelllindsey
Founding Member

Mood: Happily Ever After...

[*] posted on 2/15/2008 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for checking it out! I've seen there ads before. It is amazing to see all of those scams out there. No matter what you want to do, you have to be careful.

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 2/15/2008 at 03:04 PM

I've never even seen the site, but it sounds like they are selling membership to a job's database or perhaps an ebook about how to make $10,000 a year as a freelance writer or something like that. It doesn't appear they are giving you a job writing for $49.95.

Actually, I just went and read the FAQ and it seems very clear that they are selling a 'system' or database of markets that can make you money, not offering a job.

This would be no different form Michy (or anyone) writing a book about how to make money freelance writing and selling it online, or charging a small subscription fee to view her big list of updated markets. Would THAT be a scam?

I just get angry when people yell "SCAM" anytime someone is trying to make money. I suppose it is because I'm in internet marketing myself. Where is the scam?

I'm sorry for the seeming defense of this site. Really, I know nothing about them and would not recommend anyone purchase a 'system' for freelance writing. I'm not about to sign up and actually find out what they are offering, but I read nothing on there that said they are guaranteeing you a job writing for a certain amount or anything like that. It's only a scam if they promise something and don't deliver.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
russelllindsey
Founding Member

Mood: Happily Ever After...

[*] posted on 2/16/2008 at 12:44 PM

You have a point. In addition to working on turning my writing into a career, I'm working on setting up a retail website as well. As you can imagine, creating e-books is part of the long-term picture. You've given me something to think about. I'm really going to have to take care to make my site professional.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelanieS
I've never even seen the site, but it sounds like they are selling membership to a job's database or perhaps an ebook about how to make $10,000 a year as a freelance writer or something like that. It doesn't appear they are giving you a job writing for $49.95.

Actually, I just went and read the FAQ and it seems very clear that they are selling a 'system' or database of markets that can make you money, not offering a job.

This would be no different form Michy (or anyone) writing a book about how to make money freelance writing and selling it online, or charging a small subscription fee to view her big list of updated markets. Would THAT be a scam?

I just get angry when people yell "SCAM" anytime someone is trying to make money. I suppose it is because I'm in internet marketing myself. Where is the scam?

I'm sorry for the seeming defense of this site. Really, I know nothing about them and would not recommend anyone purchase a 'system' for freelance writing. I'm not about to sign up and actually find out what they are offering, but I read nothing on there that said they are guaranteeing you a job writing for a certain amount or anything like that. It's only a scam if they promise something and don't deliver.

Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 2/21/2008 at 09:38 PM

While it IS true that they are selling a 'system', part of the system is that they have a job board, where they guarantee there are enough paying leads there to utilize their system. The problem is, they do not allow you to 'see' that job board in order to verify any of this before you give them both your email address and your money.

Additionally, one of the ripoff reports sites said that they were unable to get their 100% satisfaction guarantee refund.

Add to that the very poor grammar and spelling issues in the FAQs, and I was less than impressed.

I know I'm harsh - but I'm sick of writers getting the short end of sticks. They have an affiliate program, so of course there is GLOWING praise from their affiliates, but when I emailed three different affiliates of theirs, they all told me the same thing - they have never purchased nor tried the 'system'; they were just affiliate marketers and this program had a good %.

I will note that I did only say I was thinking it was a scam - I never did actually CALL it a scam. Semantics, I know, but one is libelous and the other is not - so I guess sometimes semantics are important.

The thing that gets me about this particular system is that it doesn't really DO anything for you - and you can find free paying job leads all over the internet - like right here in my own forum - and freelance writers struggle enough in the beginning as it is.

So please understand, I am NOT one to tear apart a company without cause - I've been to other forums that do that, and I really want this one to be different - so if I offended, I do sincerely apologize for that (I'm an internet marketer too, after all) but please know that I researched this site in depth before I posted anything here and I read what many people had to say about it, emailed people, etc., before I ever said a word.

Hope that helps clear up my intentions a bit more....

Again, sorry to anyone I offended... but my opinion stands as far as freelancehomewriters.com

J Riva
Member Writer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2/21/2008 at 09:51 PM

Michy,

It sounds like you did a good bit of detective work here and no one should doubt that you've had enough experience in the business end of writing to know a scam when you smell one.

Jean

Jean aka crazy old person :puppya:

My Blog The Misadventures of Widowhood

My Yahoo Contributor's Content Content Index

My Bookstore Page
Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/22/2008 at 10:53 AM

Oh, I understand you aren't calling it a scam Michy. I wasn't trying to say that you were.

I think the place sounds fishy myself, and not a good choice for anyone interested in a freelance writing career. Like I said, I'd never recommend anyone do that, and certainly never purchase such a system/program/subscription myself.

It IS a bad idea. It is a bad website (spelling, grammar, heck, even the come-on is not very enticing) People can find plenty of job listings in other places (like here!) But that doesn't make it a scam.

Melanie
Lenora Meade - Romance
Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6/4/2008 at 02:26 AM

Update: After signing up for the initial section to get to the part where Freelance Home Writers asks to pay for membership, even though I did not complete the transaction, they had to get my email address (I use a yahoo address for possible spam sites where I don't have to worry about my real email being spammed). While I can't verify they sold my email, I do know that today they spammed me themselves.

I removed the links but they were affiliate links and here is the copy and paste (without the links) to the email Freelance Home Writers sent me today:

Michelle, $5k a month for Free
Wednesday, June 4, 2008 3:18 AM
From: "Freelance Home Writers" Add sender to Contacts To: "Michelle"

Michelle,

I've got something quite important
to tell you about...

The other day I got a package from my
friend Mike Masters.

He'd sent me a copy of the new product
he just finished up. It's called the
Instant Money Toolkit...

http://link_removed

I spent about 4 hours on Monday night
reading through the 250 page book he sent
and I gotta tell you...

This is just about the best thing I've
ever read, seriously. And I'm not
even done with it yet!

You'll learn every step you must take

to start, run and succeed with your
own online business and you'll even
learn how you can bring in an extra
income of at least 5 thousand bucks
per month.

Mike breaks it down into the exact 5
Critical Business Tools you'll need
to master to achieve success.

And then he shows you exactly how to do it!

Step-By-Step!

And guess what?

Right now Mike's letting you grab
your own copy for next to nothing.

All you need to do is pay for the
shipping and handling, which is
less that a movie ticket. And Mike
will send you a copy of his
incredible program.

You can grab yours below:

Now, I've gotta tell you something. I've seen

dozens of these "get the product free, just pay
for shipping" in the last few months.

Most all of them are pure trash and not even
worth the shipping price. You get some thin
little book packed full of nothing
but fluff and sales messages.

Well, thankfully Mike Masters is
breaking the mold here...

I can honestly say that I'd gladly pay between
100 and 250 bucks for Mike's product and I'd
feel damn good about it.

Yes, it's worth that much...

Luckily Mike is a strong believer
in over-delivering and he's succeeded once again.

Get yours now for free today

Cheers,

Charles Wellmore
Work at Home Group Chief Editor

P.S. Oh, did I mention that Mike has packed this

with over 250 pages of the most hard-hitting
business training I've seen in months. You'll
literally be walked through each and every step
you must take to build your own six figure business!

Unparalled Marketing LLC., P.O. Box 52, Winnebago, IL 61088, USA

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 6/4/2008 at 05:52 AM

Thanks for that follow up!

That is not the way to run an internet business. :( Makes me mad really. I'm an 'internet marketer' and these people spamming and scamming just make others shy away from legitimate lists and newsletters.

Melanie
Lenora Meade - Romance
flyingbird65
Founding Member

[*] posted on 6/4/2008 at 11:51 AM

Whats sad is there are a lot more just like this out there. More so then all the ligitimate ones.

I agree with Melanie, this makes me mad.

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird
Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6/19/2008 at 04:45 AM

More spam from this place:

Flag this message(URGENT) Ice Cream MeltsThursday, June 19, 2008 4:15 AM
From: "Freelance Home Writers" Add sender to Contacts To: "Michelle"

Michelle,

Go here now and learn how
to make hundreds, if not thousands
every single day from home.

And right now you can secure your copy
for free.

But hurry, quantities are very limited (only 79
units left) and these are going faster than ice
cream melts on a hot summer day...

http:lineremoved.
Enjoy,

Charles Wellmore
Work at home tips

Unparalled Marketing LLC., P.O. Box 52, Winnebago, IL 61088, USA

Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 6/19/2008 at 04:50 AM

Flag this message(URGENT) Ice Cream MeltsThursday, June 19, 2008 4:15 AM
From: "Freelance Home Writers" [reply@freelance-home-writers.com]Add sender to Contacts To: "Michelle" [michymlj@yahoo.com]

Okay, when I received the last spam email from them, I clicked on the unsubscribe and was supposed to be unsubbed from them, but then early this morning, I got another spam email.

I will refer back to my original post about FreelanceHomeWriters and this time I am going to call them a scam flat out - their desire is not so much to sell you a program or membership to a forum with job listing but rather to get your money and your email address.

One of those they get without even showing you anything on their website.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE....and don't give them a good email address that you use regularly unless you want spam.

flyingbird65
Founding Member

[*] posted on 7/2/2008 at 04:17 PM

Its reasons like this I have 4 or 5 email addresses.

3 of them I use regularly for one reason or other. The others I use when checking on a site I'm not sure of. Thankfully I don't do that very often.

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird
m.c.mute
New Member (Welcome me!)

[*] posted on 7/21/2008 at 11:20 AM

While others may be hesitant to call the Freelance Home Writers organization a scam, I received this e-mail today:

Dear 123Greetings user,

Recently you requested information to work at home... Based upon your
profile we have hand picked you for this work at home job. Out of
20,000 applications you were 1 of 25 picked for this job.

We would like to congratulate you for making the right decision
in working with us. You have a 48 hour window to claim your
position
before we fill it with the next in que.

Click Here

Regards,

Michael Stathmore
Freelance Home Writers

Of course, I never submitted any sort of application and the e-mail was obviously spam. I usually do not even read these types of spam e-mails, but this one piqued my curiosity a little. The links in the e-mail take you to their site wherein is detailed all that is outlined in the post above. However, since the wording of the initial e-mail states explicitly that a job is being offered rather than a service, I am going to go ahead and call this a rather blatant scam.

Of course there is a silver lining for me here, in that if I had not gone looking for information on the company I never would have found this forum.
Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7/21/2008 at 11:31 AM

Thank you for stopping by! I'm so glad you found us!

Also thank you for adding your post to this thread - This particular thread is one of the most viewed on this forum and it is bringing a lot of new writers here - that's good for many reasons, but the biggest reason is that people might just be warned and not fall for this scammer.

The more I learn about them, the more upset I get.... they have an affiliate program, and that in itself usually lends to spam if it's not monitored.

Hey, welcome to the forum! I hope you'll stick around!

twnkltoz
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 7/21/2008 at 12:31 PM

Welcome to the forum, m.c.mute! Thanks for weighing in!

Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7/21/2008 at 12:33 PM

(giggles) Just FYI. No one has to get on a scale in order to be a member of our forum...LOL

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 7/21/2008 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
No one has to get on a scale in order to be a member of our forum

Thank goodness!!! :269x:

Melanie
Lenora Meade - Romance
Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 7/21/2008 at 12:58 PM

:2088x:

I know, me too! That's why I wanted to clarify (wink)

:EatDamandx:

chaosfairy
Banned

[*] posted on 7/21/2008 at 01:42 PM

chinese and chocolate anyone?

Welcome to the Forum!

:22x:

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies