Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Romance Info (For Nancy)
moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 11/1/2010 at 09:17 PM
Romance Info (For Nancy)

Over the last few months I've had the privilege to meet two local romance authors. The one I met tonight is the more prolific. Kathie DeNosky has published 26 novels with Silhoutte in the last decade and that includes a two year hiatus after her husband died. She is currently under a six book contract.

Her book "Expecting the Rancher's Heir" made the USA Today's best seller's list earlier this year.

One of the most important lessons she offered was that sometimes selling a book is a matter of finding the right editor at the right time. she had been submitting to Harlequin/Silhouette for 8 years and had a manuscript that they had bumped up the food chain and then lost and held for 17 months. When she finally asked that they return it, they only returned part of it. She called and asked for the rest of her manuscript and a newly appointed associated editor asked to see the entire book.

She sent it back again and the new editor, and her bosses, liked it and bought it. Then, they asked for other stuff she had written and eventually went back and bought the novels Kathie had previously submitted and had rejected. Today, she does not ahve a single book that hasn't been purchased. She takes 3 months to write a 50-55K words novel and publishes several a year.

She found her agent a week after she signed her first contract, with the same manuscript that she sold. At this point she does not actively have beta readers or even have to finish a book before she sells it. She said after her first four books they wanted three chapters and a synopsis. Then, after awhile it dropped to first chapter and a synopsis and now she sells books on the strength of a synopsis alone.

moonshadow68

[*] posted on 11/1/2010 at 09:24 PM

Kathie said she usually does a single draft of her books, editing as she goes along because she can't comfortably proceed until she is happy with the story until now. And she usually has at least the major plot points developed in her head before she ever sits down in her lazychair to write.

She writes in her living room with the television on and writes only 4-6 hours a day unless she is up against a hard deadline. Her most important advice was to learn to write a great synopsis. A great synopsis will make the difference between getting a manuscript read and getting it rejected. It also pays to be lucky and find the right editor. That may mean trying out several different lines within the same company.

The advantage of having an agent, she said, is that if you run into deadline issues or editing disputes they can help negotiate. Otherwise, she said her agent helped her to increase her advance to what she believes is about the highest the company offers.

moonshadow68

[*] posted on 11/1/2010 at 09:31 PM

She said the most important things a romance writer can do are:

1) learn goal/motivation/conflict for every character and use it to drive the plot

2) Join the RWA and take advantage of everything it offers for writers from genre instruction to critique partners.

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11/2/2010 at 08:16 AM

Thanks Cindy! That's all great, helpful advice. The best is 'learn the goal/motivation/conflict of each character and use it to drive the plot'. The hardest thing is to learn to write a great synopsis.
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 03:19 PM

Not just for Nancy! I think this is mostly true for any writer. I believe that hard work pays off and that a good writer who learns the business and does everything right will eventually be published. I also know that sometimes being in the right place at the right time can help even an average writer get published, much less a good one. I also know that being in the right place at the right time is sometimes an accident and sometimes something you can do on purpose.

This is really good information, though, for all writers to know!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

moonshadow68

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 03:40 PM

Michy, absolutely! I just meant Nancy asked me to post it :)

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies