Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Are they serious?
ink4hyre
Member Writer

Mood: Dark around the edges

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 09:42 AM
Are they serious?

http:// thecontentauthority.com/application-writers.php

[Edited on 11-3-2010 by Michy]

sharkbytes
Literary Master

Mood: slow and steady

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 10:01 AM

This is approximately like Textbroker.

My Quality Day (blog)
Shark Bytes and Tales (author blog)
Shared Reviews (ask how to sign up under me)
Books Leaving Footprints (book sales)
Tangoshoes
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: in repair

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 10:59 AM

Am I missing something with this site? Something I should stay away from on my quest to break into freelance website writing?

:punk:

I checked out the link, but it's all still Spanish to me, terms, rate of pay, things like that...

sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 11:11 AM

I think ink4hyre is referring to the low rate of pay. But I could be wrong. (it's happened before :lol: )

My Quality Day (blog)
Tangoshoes
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 11:17 AM

That's what I thought initally, but in their FAQ, they word it as though you can make $16 or so an hour is what it breaks down to, but I could have read that and intrepreted it wrong; I saw the rate of pay chart... and did sorta zoom in on .0007 per word for tier one pay LOL... I guess that is pretty darn low; so you would have to write several 400-500 researched articles an hour to actually make that 16.00 bucks an hour pay.

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 12:09 PM

I don't allow 'link dropping', which you might not have intended to do, so unless you have further commentary on the site to explain the reason for the post/title, I'm deactivating the live link.

They definitely don't pay well, but they really aren't that much different from, say, Textbroker. I mean, if you write a 500-word article for Tier 1 at .007, that's $3.50 per article, and some folks at TextBroker I think get less than that for their level 1 - not sure. Anyway, point being, it's just one more option, and it's really up to the individual to choose. I'd love it if no one ever took cheap-paying writing gigs ever again, and forced the market to bear a quality wage for the skill of writing - it would, of course, demand quality writing too, increasing the economic and quality landscape for publishers and writers exponentially, but then, it would leave a lot of people out of work too - give or take, I suppose. There IS a place in this universe for the writers who only want to make a buck per word and those willing to make less than a penny per word, and it's not mine to judge that decision.

All that said, The Content Authority has ZERO page rank. The domain was purchased almost exactly a year ago (October 2009), so it should have at least SOME page rank if people were pointing to it or talking about it at all. The site is using a gmail email address, which tends to be a little bit of a red flag for me when dealing with businesses. If they have a domain and have hosting, why don't they have email through their hosting? It's one of the best practices that all business websites have a contact@ or info@ or admin@ email address based off the domain. Though gmail is a good 'free' email web based program, it is still a free program.

The website loads super slow... SUUUUPER slow for me. The FAQs are in desperate need of a good edit and polish, not just from a couple of typos but from some poor grammar and sentence structure issues. I usually don't harp on that much, but this is supposed to be a site for writers to hire writers, and they suggest they can 'fire' a writer who doesn't perform to quality standards they themselves don't conform to.

That said, did a little quick search to see if there was anything on this business.

Short of those little problems, I don't see anything majorly wrong with them and some people seem very happy with them. The only major complaint I see is that some people complain they don't pay well enough for what they offer. Others say the work is easy and they're making a lot of money and loving it.

To each their own.

Moving this to the online writing sites forum where it belongs.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Cyndee
Literary Master

Mood: Glittery, but maybe that's from paint fumes.

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 12:10 PM

I don't want to say anything bad about Textbroker. I have written for them in the past and I know several on the forum still do, but I prefer writing what I know, being compensated with my name on my writing.

Textbroker is a ghostwriting site. (Don't know if this new site is.) Once you sell your baby, it isn't yours anymore. I think I am a level 3 or 4 there (it's been so long, I can't remember). Regardless, it was an average rating. After writing about 20 articles, I realized their rating system could stick you there forever. Yes, the pay is extremely low, but it worked in a pinch for me and I know it does for others. This new site sounds very similar, but since it is new (and if you wanted to try your hand at a site like it), I would suggest a proven site like Textbroker. Keep in mind, you can't use clips from them on a resume. You can state you have written for them though.

That said, I would suggest Associated Content. You can write whatever you want. If your upfront is low, you will still make pvs and those pay off when you accumulate a number of them. If you submit as non-exclusive, you will still recieve upfront offers, but the article is still yours. You can then place that same article on Bukisa for pvs. Bukisa doesn't pay upfronts, but their pv pay is pretty good. Then you are making money on the same article several times. You can also place the same article on Helium. I can't remember if you have to rewrite it for them. Someone here will be able to tell you.

Rewrite an article several times. I think Michy calls it "wash and repeat" or something like that. I use a free download from dupefreepro.com You put your original article in one pane and type your new article in the one beside it. It will show you how much of the article has been changed or duplicated. This will keep you from plagarizing yourself. I use the smiley face on the site as my indicater, but Michy can tell you the exact percentage that needs to be changed in an article.

http://restyledjunk.com/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/107800/cyndee_kromminga.html
http://www.bukisa.com/people/Cyndee
http://www.brighthub.com/members/cyndee.aspx
Fight World Hunger
"The waist is a terrible thing to mind."
-Winnie the Pooh
"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it."
-Winnie the Pooh
sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 12:34 PM

I sure don't know how you folks make very much money a month on PPV on AC. I have 108 articles, and I make about $5 a month. That's not going to keep me from starving.

My Quality Day (blog)
ink4hyre
Member Writer

Mood: Dark around the edges

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 01:39 PM
Sorry

Sorry, wasn't intended to be a link drop. Guess I should have left an explanation in the post. Just to dumb founded by the pay rate to speak!

Michy

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 01:50 PM

It is definitely low, but then again, it's not hard-hitting investigative journalism or feature article research work either.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Tangoshoes
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 02:23 PM

Hahahah
I'm slow...

you see, I knew I posted on this thread... and then I couldn't find it...
surprise!

Also, I had NO clue really how vast this forum is... I never knew a section was for online writing so I apologize for my post the other day asking about Suite 101 and putting it where ever I did!

MOLeary
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Burning up my keyboard writing!

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sharkbytes  
I sure don't know how you folks make very much money a month on PPV on AC. I have 108 articles, and I make about $5 a month. That's not going to keep me from starving.

I'm only up to about $25/month from AC, but I haven't written much of anything for them in forever. Michy and Pam Gaulin and others would be the ones to talk to about PPV tricks - they are doing great with it. I think you just have to keep submitting lots of quality content, and your amount will build. :)

Maggie Mae O'Leary

Donate to help SHELTER PETS in need - every dollar goes for fuel and supplies to transport homeless pets in need! <3
http://charliebobarlie.chipin.com/funding-for-pet-rescue-missions

Now a proud Independent Representative for mark. cosmetics by Avon. PM me to place an order and enjoy a 15% discount PLUS free shipping. All my commissions go to help shelter pets!

http://maggieoleary.mymarkstore.com/

Visit me on the web:
Gather!

Associated Content - Featured Contributor in Automotive, Beauty and Pets!
Credentialed Paralegal Expert On Helium
eHow
Maggie's Writing Blog
I'm on Twitter!
Michy

[*] posted on 11/3/2010 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MOLeary  
Quote: Originally posted by sharkbytes  

I'm only up to about $25/month from AC, but I haven't written much of anything for them in forever. Michy and Pam Gaulin and others would be the ones to talk to about PPV tricks - they are doing great with it. I think you just have to keep submitting lots of quality content, and your amount will build. :)

I have 450 articles and I make about 200 every month. I made about 200 every month when I had 400 articles too. I added 57 articles and haven't really seen an increase in my average pay. I don't know why (shrug).

But it really comes down keywords and picking good topics. I try to think when I'm sitting around the house and I wonder: how much is? OR who owns that? OR how did such and such come about?

If I'm asking the question, someone else probably is too.

I also follow advertising trends and use that for keyword advice. For example, when a website called "truth about acne . com" came out and we being highly advertised, I decided lots of teens would likely be searching for that site in Google. So I wrote this article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5717038/the_truth_about_ac... The Truth About Acne and Acne Treatments. Tons of hits.

Minor home remedies get fantastic page views. I am blown away by how much my Alternative Ear Wax Removal Home Remedies has performed, and it's not even properly written for good LSI.

Anyway - residual income rocks, is my point, if you have written long-tail keyword articles about topics that people are likely to search for, avoid articles that will 'expire' (unless you can get 2-5K minimum quickly and it doesn't take long to write).

BUT on the subject of AC Vs. Sites like this one or TextBroker, etc.

I usually get between 7-10 bucks on articles I write for AC in upfronts, but I do realize most people who are just starting to build their base there won't get this much. I'd rather get 2-3 bucks from AC upfront with a chance to earn even a little bit over the long-term added to their total base than to write a one-off for 3.50 and not get a byline and have no idea what will happen to my content, with no proof that I was the one who wrote it.

BUT - that's just my take on it.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Jesse Sears
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Workin'

[*] posted on 11/6/2010 at 06:45 PM

I haven't written anything for AC since last October because the pay was just too slow in the immediate time frame I had to write. Still, off 56 articles including several zero page view pieces from when I was first getting started, I pull around $40 per month. That isn't much, but I like to see it as paying my phone bill every month for work I have done.

I don't know how I would work for them full time though. I made more with Demand Media Studios for the month of October than I have made in my whole tenure with AC. If I find myself in a financial situation where I can stomach their small upfront pay in the immediate time frame I might go back and do a few.

Michy

[*] posted on 11/6/2010 at 07:13 PM

But here's the thing. If you earn 40 bucks per month with 56 articles, then theoretically, you'd be earning 80 bucks with about 112 articles. Then you'd earn 160 bucks with... see how that goes?

So - 56 articles are earning you about .72 cents per article per month, so that if each article earns only $2.50 upfront, you're earning 10.00 per year for that article, for the first year. Then the second year, you'll earn about 10 bucks for those same articles, but you'll get another 10 bucks for each new article. And it builds upon itself.

I realize it's impossible to stop writing other gigs that bring in upfront payment when you need it, but just ONE article to AC per day is over 300 articles per year, at 10 bucks per article, that's over 3000 bucks per year extra cash in your pocket.

Demand pays upfront, but once you earn it, that's all you get. With AC, those same articles that earned 10 bucks that first year will earn it again the second year, the third year, the fourth year, and they will all build on each other.

Residual income rocks, and it can't be discounted in the value of an article for your income.

Love and stuff,
Michy

sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 11/6/2010 at 07:51 PM

Yes, residual income rocks... but one has to write more popular articles than I produce to earn $10 a year for one. Now, I'm not whining. I am perfectly content that the topics which interest me are way out of the mainstream. But your estimates are way overblown for stuff I write. I have been offered $4-$5.50 upfront on AC for my recent articles, and PPV I'm getting a total of about $60 a year. That's not going to buy the groceries.

So when I can make $10 a day writing articles on some stupid topic that I hate, but someone will tell me what direction to go and I just grind it out... well, I do it.

But... to write an article about acne (just to follow your example), on purpose, with my name on it... you'd have to hold a gun to my head. And of the articles I have written, there is NO rhyme or reason to the ones that do well. I have two that do really well about pets and pesticides. So I wrote an article about the lifecycle of fleas and dogs/cats. It doesn't do much at all. I have sort of a series on unusual fruits/vegs... of all the goofy things, the one on plain old Kiwi, which AC paid me something like $2 for, does really well. And an article about ID and preparation of wild puffball... a topic I expected would get low hits, is taking off like gangbusters.

All that to say... it's really hard to predict... keywords or not!

My Quality Day (blog)
Michy

[*] posted on 3/7/2011 at 08:34 PM

Well, to update now, the amount dropped this month to only $160, and it's looking like next month is going to be a bit lower too. This Google thing hit me, but fortunately, not too much. I shouldn't drop below $150, but still, dropping 50 bucks per month is a lot. I'm going to try to refresh some content and re-link to some things to see if that helps the ranking move back up in Google. I think it might.

I'll keep ya'll posted on what that looks like once I do it. If just making some minor tweaks to edit some content to fix some grammar issues, and to re-link to them again to 'refreshen' the article makes a difference, it might be worth it for everyone to do that.

Did ya'll know AC is now letting everyone who wants to make grammar corrections... they're giving us access to edit even our exlusives and non-exclusives, for a short time, not JUST the DOs. They go back through a quick proof if you change too much, but for small changes, just email them and they are kicking them back so everyone can make edits.

It might be worth it for everyone to take a couple hours one day this week coming up and do a quick rapid-fire edit and update and then link to your stuff around your social sites again to see if that kickstarts your earnings again.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Nicole
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Glad

[*] posted on 3/8/2011 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Michy  

It might be worth it for everyone to take a couple hours one day this week coming up and do a quick rapid-fire edit and update and then link to your stuff around your social sites again to see if that kickstarts your earnings again.

That's a great idea. I read about their edit options for exclusives last week and it seemed inspiring until I remembered that I didn't just sign up with them this month and with more than 500 articles on there, I'd be hard pressed to be able to sort through all of them.

I wish that I made and kept a little list of articles that I read ever now and then where I noticed some adjustments (or major adjustments in the case of the ones published when I was just starting out there) to grammar and/or punctuation would be nice to do.

If I had to take a stab in the dark, I only remember like three articles that could use a freshening up.

I'm also concerned about whether or not there may be rights and/or TOS issues if Contributors who do edit their stuff and send it back for re-publishing, because this time, it won't be sent to AC, but to Yahoo instead. Will the rights that contributors had to these articles before change if they edit them (especially the old articles that were published before Yahoo bought AC)?

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 3/8/2011 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Michy  
But here's the thing. If you earn 40 bucks per month with 56 articles, then theoretically, you'd be earning 80 bucks with about 112 articles. Then you'd earn 160 bucks with... see how that goes?

So - 56 articles are earning you about .72 cents per article per month, so that if each article earns only $2.50 upfront, you're earning 10.00 per year for that article, for the first year. Then the second year, you'll earn about 10 bucks for those same articles, but you'll get another 10 bucks for each new article. And it builds upon itself.

I realize it's impossible to stop writing other gigs that bring in upfront payment when you need it, but just ONE article to AC per day is over 300 articles per year, at 10 bucks per article, that's over 3000 bucks per year extra cash in your pocket.

Demand pays upfront, but once you earn it, that's all you get. With AC, those same articles that earned 10 bucks that first year will earn it again the second year, the third year, the fourth year, and they will all build on each other.

Residual income rocks, and it can't be discounted in the value of an article for your income.

LOL! I got a tickle out of this because that is sort of my technique, if you will.

I really (really, really) despise the Ďhow tosí I gotta write so that the bills remain paid. AC is for *interesting* and fun stuff, maybe even some opinion pieces! Iím obviously getting a ton more money now as opposed to when I had three articles up, and so while of course some articles just perform better, the more of them I have up the more pay I get Ė period!

I also like to write about things Iím interested in, so Jeep, welding, chess and things of that nature are great and fun articles for me to write. Also, if Iím applying for a pro job itíll likely be in a venue Iím interested in, so I donít want to link a possible future employer to articles in which a small percentage are about the subject at hand, and a massive amount seem to be about random ďhot topicsĒ that score big PVs at first and then nosedive.

You might say that while Iím obviously trying to get more PVs and more money, Iím also building the foundation of my writing house. If itís weak, it wonít hold furniture so I gotta make it strong, and make it what I want. I sacrifice immediate gratification but hopefully, someday, itíll hold a water bed and a disco room. :P

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies