Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Differene Between Chick Lit & Women's Fiction
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 11/13/2010 at 09:44 PM
Differene Between Chick Lit & Women's Fiction

I have seen a lot of blogs talking about the differences between chick lit and women's fiction. Sex and the City is most frequently cited as a good example of chick lit, while Army Wives is often cited as 'women's fiction'.

Personally, I see chick lit as more superficial for the purposes of entertaining rather than educating or being deep, while Women's Fiction is similar, but less for the purpose of just pure entertainment and more for tackling deeper issues.

Chick lit seems to almost always have an element of humor to it while women's fiction doesn't have to have humor.

I actually have a chick lit series planned, with the lighthearted humor part to it, but it's tackling some deep issues. When I was writing the query for the first novel, I was thinking I could put something like: it's a cross between chick lit and women's fiction, elements of both.

Which do you prefer? Do you have any books from either genre that you like and would recommend? I'm trying to read up some of the popular books in the genre before I finish this one up and start the query process.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
rudy2
Founding Member

Mood: Happy as a witch in a broom factory

[*] posted on 11/14/2010 at 12:29 PM

First Wives Club. I'm not at all partial to chick lit, but that was pretty good.

I can't even think of anything I'd call women's fiction. I've read a lot of great nonfiction.

Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
Thomas Jefferson
Michy

[*] posted on 11/14/2010 at 03:26 PM

I liked First Wives Club - that was cute. Off the wall, and stupid for the sake of stupidity, but fun. It's one of those that suspension of disbelief fails, because you know that would never happen in real life, but you just don't care, because it's so funny, and for many of us, it's not like we haven't thought about it before, right? LOL

I think Women's Fiction is more along the lines of Lifetime movies type of things. Domestic violence issues, issues about fertility and getting pregnant, being a mom, trying to get ahead in a male dominated world, sexual harassment, etc.

Some of the books Amazon has listed as Women's Fiction include:

Sense and Sensibility (Enriched Classics)
Wutheri ng Heights
My Sister's Keeper: A Novel

Most of Nicholas Sparks books are classified Women's Fiction. I know he sometimes gets a bad rap as a writer, but I really do love his stories.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
MOLeary
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Burning up my keyboard writing!

[*] posted on 11/14/2010 at 03:42 PM

I like both genres! I just recently finished the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella - that's some great Chick Lit. She's got some other fabulous books out, too. :)

Maggie Mae O'Leary

Donate to help SHELTER PETS in need - every dollar goes for fuel and supplies to transport homeless pets in need! <3
http://charliebobarlie.chipin.com/funding-for-pet-rescue-missions

Now a proud Independent Representative for mark. cosmetics by Avon. PM me to place an order and enjoy a 15% discount PLUS free shipping. All my commissions go to help shelter pets!

http://maggieoleary.mymarkstore.com/

Visit me on the web:
Gather!

Associated Content - Featured Contributor in Automotive, Beauty and Pets!
Credentialed Paralegal Expert On Helium
eHow
Maggie's Writing Blog
I'm on Twitter!
LaurieM
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/14/2010 at 06:03 PM

I just read, "The Help" and I liked it. I found myself cheering the three main characters on. I would consider it women's fiction.
"Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" is another.

------------------------------------------------------

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11/14/2010 at 08:34 PM

I like chick-lit best, mainly because I like it light. I tried Sophie Kinsella but didn't even finish the first book. I didn't like it. I love the three books Sarah Addison Allen wrote. I think they are a blend of both chick-lit and women's fiction.
Michy

[*] posted on 11/14/2010 at 09:55 PM

Nancy, the books I'm doing in the Covington Confessions series are what I hope will be a cross between chick lit and women's fiction - I want them to be about deep, important topics in a woman's life, but still have that light, humorous line that runs through it. The first three books deal with obesity/self image, sexual abuse, and breast cancer. It's hard to think those topics could be funny, but the way I'm doing them, they really are, and yet, they don't lose their power or importance. I'm really quite pleased with how they are turning out. I just don't have enough time to write in them as often as I'd like.

Love and stuff,
Michy

rudy2
Founding Member

Mood: Happy as a witch in a broom factory

[*] posted on 11/15/2010 at 07:05 AM

My Sister's Keeper was a very good story. I guess Beaches would fall in there too. I'm not fond of reading or watching violence - except action movies. I can take a little of that.

Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
Thomas Jefferson
twnkltoz
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11/23/2010 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MOLeary  
I like both genres! I just recently finished the Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella - that's some great Chick Lit. She's got some other fabulous books out, too. :)

I'm reading Shopaholic With Baby right now...very funny. I know someone just like her, only she doesn't have as much money. :)

I love chick lit, but I don't read women's fiction. I generally don't like anything heavy in my entertainment, books or movies.

twnkltoz
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12/6/2010 at 01:33 AM

So...what if there are some real-life issues in the book, like becoming your own person after your only child, around whom you built your whole life, has gone off to college so you suddenly have no life? Plus some other stuff about evolving relationships with husbands and best friends and mothers. Not the heaviest of issues, but not complete fluff, either. Has some humor in it. Would you still call it chick lit?

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies