Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How important is it to you to like the main character?
twnkltoz
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11/27/2010 at 10:16 AM
How important is it to you to like the main character?

So, I'm reading Shopaholic with Baby, which is like the fourth in the series but the only one I've read. I find the main character pretty annoying at times. I like her voice and she's funny, but she's so spoiled and ditzy I just want to smack her. I'm not sure I could read any more of these books, although I'm really drawn into the story and have to finish this one.

I am going to work on my chick lit next after nano is over. I actually wrote the whole thing during nano 2007 but haven't touched it since then except have some of you beta read it (thank you!). I think the main character starts out kind of annoying--she spent the past 18 years doing nothing but raising her daughter (which is great), but now that the daughter's moved out, she's kind of lost and doesn't have her own identity. She grows through the novel of course, but I worry that her wishy-washiness at the beginning might be a turn-off. A

s a reader, how important is it to you that you like the main character, and right from the start? What if she's annoying, but funny stuff happens and she has a best friend you really like? Would that help?

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11/27/2010 at 10:23 AM

I can't read those shop-a-holic books. I tried, because they are so popular, but just can't do it. Not for me. And I couldn't write something I wouldn't read.
flyingbird65
Founding Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/27/2010 at 10:47 AM

Just a thought but wouldn't it be fun to write with a main character you don't like so you can do things to them you might not do to a character you do like? Kind of like taking out your aggression or anger against those kinds of people?

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird
boatkicker
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 11/27/2010 at 10:48 AM

I tend to read books where I have either Like or Dislike the character. Of course the ones I like might do things I don't like, or vice versa, but I need that sort of general base of "I like this person" or "I don't like this person."

I have a hard time reading books where I sometimes love and other times hate the main character.

~Erin Boat

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior
RobertArend
Literary Master

[*] posted on 11/27/2010 at 10:58 AM

In my opinion, everybody has both their good qualities and their bad, so a portrayal of a main character who is sometimes annoying in her slow evolution from one lifestyle into another is simply keeping it real. Trust your readers. In their lives, most probably will identify your main character as somebody similar to a friend or family member with the same flaws.

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 11/27/2010 at 03:59 PM

Hmm, haha, I can’t answer for the chick-lit perspective, but if I don’t like the main character the book is far less enjoying to me, I believe. Everyone is going to have qualities that vex us, but a likeable main is a good thing.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
twnkltoz
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11/28/2010 at 10:33 AM

Thanks, all, for your input! The idea is that she'll start of as this kind of wishy washy character, but through the experiences she goes through in the novel, she becomes a stronger person and her personality comes out so she becomes much more likable as you go through.

Wordswork
Superlative Writer

[*] posted on 8/31/2012 at 06:11 AM

I have to be able to care what happens to the main character or I lose interest in the story.
StellaJervis
Extraordinary Writer

[*] posted on 6/20/2015 at 08:06 AM

I think I like the characters that I make a connection with, and characters that are real, but that's because I'm so fascinated by people. Jennifer Weiner does a really good job of this--creating characters that you really know and are therefore your friends. I read Jennifer Weiner's In Her Shoes a long time ago, but I still remember both sisters because they were described with such care, even down to what was in Rose's refrigerator.
melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/20/2015 at 08:31 AM

I don't necessarily need to like the main character but I do need to care about them. By some contrary quirk I often wind up liking villains better than heroes. It's a thing. :)

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 6/22/2015 at 07:28 PM

I don't really write villain/hero type of books at this point, but I do find I always go for the underdog in my books--but I'm sort of the same way in real life too.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies