Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Are vampires even horror any more?
WNed
Super Moderator

Mood: Mostly Harmless

[*] posted on 12/27/2010 at 03:17 PM
Are vampires even horror any more?

No topics in Horror? That can't stand!

I do not personally follow the vampire trends, but I'm curious to know, from anyone who does: are vampires really even horror any more? It seems to me that they are merging into more of a Romance sort of genre. What say you?

Ned

I tried mature, rational, adult. Read the end of Don Quixote to see how that worked out.
raian76
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/27/2010 at 03:59 PM

My vampire story is more historical than horror.

and the 3rd installment is more suspense/thriller than horror.

I don't think vampire stories fall into the "horror" genre anymore. Just my opinion.
moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 12/27/2010 at 04:00 PM

I think it depends on the type of vampire. 30 days of night vampires = still horror. Twilight, Vampire Diaries, etc. = young adult, not horror.

RobertArend
Literary Master

[*] posted on 12/27/2010 at 07:47 PM

Whether vampires are romantic or the more traditional horrific monsters is up to the writer. Just because contemporary fiction has adjusted the genre toward the good vampire does not require a master of the horror genre to yield to such foolishness.

WNed
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 12/27/2010 at 09:14 PM

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't there always been an element of the seductive or romantic in classic vampire lit?
I'm afraid my own perception keeps drifting over into movies rather than just literature. Did Bram Stoker's "Dracula" have an element of the seductive, like they tried for in the movie?

Ned

I tried mature, rational, adult. Read the end of Don Quixote to see how that worked out.
RobertArend
Literary Master

[*] posted on 12/27/2010 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WNed  
If I'm not mistaken, hasn't there always been an element of the seductive or romantic in classic vampire lit?
I'm afraid my own perception keeps drifting over into movies rather than just literature. Did Bram Stoker's "Dracula" have an element of the seductive, like they tried for in the movie?

Stoker's Dracula was a ravenous evil monster. I read his novel many times growing up and never found any trace of romance in it, only the lust his Dracula provoked in his victims.

WNed
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 12/27/2010 at 09:51 PM

For some reason, Robert, I've never really gotten past the ship sailing empty into the harbor. Maybe I'll try again in the new year...

Ned

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 12/28/2010 at 12:01 AM

Reading this, I just got an AWESOME idea for part of my vampire novel that has been languishing in a folder for a couple of years. Thanks!

I do think vampires show up mostly in paranormal romance and urban fantasy, which usually includes very sensual/sexual themes. Because of the treatment Hollywood and popular fiction has given vampires, they're just not scary anymore.

I think making vampires scary again would be a great thing, personally.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
----------------------------
WNed
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 12/28/2010 at 12:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Melanie  
Reading this, I just got an AWESOME idea for part of my vampire novel that has been languishing in a folder for a couple of years. Thanks!

:biggrin:

Ned

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 12/28/2010 at 01:19 AM

After Brad Pitt was a vampire, the things are ruined. :lol::lol::lol:

I much prefer the "Oh my God what the hell is that outside the window?" vampire than the romantic things but then again, I like horror. :)

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
WNed
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 12/28/2010 at 05:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skwerly  

I much prefer the "Oh my God what the hell is that outside the window?" vampire than the romantic things but then again, I like horror. :)

... and scary trees!

Dipping into movies for just a moment... there's that one incredible shot in "Nosferatu" where they show just his silhouette moving along the wall; it actually looks like a twisted, gnarly tree come to life, no?

Ned

moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 12/28/2010 at 08:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skwerly  

Have you seen/read "30 Days of Night"? Some vampires are still ravenous beasts...and those are the ones I like best.

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 12/28/2010 at 12:41 PM

Hmm, no I haven't, moon! I vill have to see abouts dat.

Ned, I haven't seen that, either. veel haff to see bout dat az vell.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
horrificly_me
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 12/29/2010 at 05:39 PM

Yes certainly check out 30 Days of Night if you like your vampires more evil rather then tortured lol.

But yes, I don't see why vampires should be limited to the horror genre. Look at Anne Rice's books, I would not call them horror (I don't think they really fit into any genre) but Interview With the Vampire is known as one of the most inspirational vampire books ever.

I think it depends on an author's own interpretation of the vampire.

But I am getting rather fed up with all these vampires that have apparently lived for hundreds/thousands of years, yet strangely act like broody/mysterious teenagers.

WNed
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 12/29/2010 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by horrificly_me  
Yes certainly check out 30 Days of Night if you like your vampires more evil rather then tortured lol.

But yes, I don't see why vampires should be limited to the horror genre. Look at Anne Rice's books, I would not call them horror (I don't think they really fit into any genre) but Interview With the Vampire is known as one of the most inspirational vampire books ever.

I think it depends on an author's own interpretation of the vampire.

But I am getting rather fed up with all these vampires that have apparently lived for hundreds/thousands of years, yet strangely act like broody/mysterious teenagers.

Yeah, when your vampire story inspires Sting to write a jazz song--"Moon Over Bourbon St." was inspired by "Interview With the Vampire"--you've fairly well wandered out of the Horror realm.

I agree also that the whole undead entity as troubled juvenile trope is something of an oxymoron. I greatly prefer when immortal characters are tormented by experiences so darkened by the mists of time, they need modern-day halogen fog lamps.

Ned

ayeshazulfiqar
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 10/9/2015 at 06:24 AM

I wrote many stories on Vampires. I have a good idea about horror stories.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies