Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Three Article sites you would add
jckat
Master Writer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 09:21 AM
Three Article sites you would add

I've read through some of the older threads in the Online content site section but I know things change over time so thought I would ask.

What online content sites other than AC and Suite 101 would be your top three recommendations for adding if one had time to do more articles? Do they pay up front or revenue share only?

kathy

Read my Blogs and Articles at these Sites:
Associated Content
Suite 101
Bukisa
Theresa
Literary Master

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 09:28 AM

Bright Hub, definitely. They pay 10 bucks upfront as well as revenue share (per pvs) and the article titles are often real fun to write.

sharkbytes
Literary Master

Mood: slow and steady

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 12:45 PM

I'm really enjoying Shared Reviews. Their new article section has limited categories, but they plan to add more soon. They pay per "reader" as they define it, but it seems to be working out to more pay than PPV. The new payment system hasn't been in place long enough to be sure.

If you want to sign up there, I wouldn't mind if you do it under me. Shared Reviews

Oh... they are almost always late with payments, but we've never been stiffed yet. I've been a member since Oct 2007, and am currently in the #1 spot for "Activity," and the #3 all-time earner. But you can't compare past earnings with current potential, because the payment system has changed twice.

[Edited on 9-1-2011 by sharkbytes]

My Quality Day (blog)
Shark Bytes and Tales (author blog)
Shared Reviews (ask how to sign up under me)
Books Leaving Footprints (book sales)
opher
Literary Master

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 01:17 PM

Joan,

Does this mean the payments are lower now than in the past, higher, or simply different but comparable? Do they pay upfront for content at this time? There does not seem to be any info on the site explaining what they pay for or how much.

sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 02:05 PM

Opher- the new system doesn't have all of the FAQ/ Knowledge Center stuff completed yet.

There are now several ways to gain cash

#1- Readership- "readers" are defined as people who find a review/article from a search engine, or an external link. Internal readers do NOT count, nor do readers from pay to click or read sites (there was a lot of gaming of views detected under the old system). Each month, a minimum of $1000 is put into a monthly pot. (It will almost always be more than that... see below). This amount will be distributed based on: half will go to the authors for their readership. So if $1000 pot, then $500 will be divided by the total readers for the month, and that quotient will be paid per reader.

#2- Rating: The other $500 is divided between people who have rated reviews (you have to earn the right to rate). 5 rates are allowed per review. Each rater will get 1/5 of the amount an author would get for a reader. If a review doesn't have 5 rates, the unused portion of the monthly allotment gets thrown into the next month's kitty, so that is always increasing.

#3- Contests: these haven't really kicked in yet. Under the old system there were some fun things worth $5-$25 a month, and these are supposed to start up again in the next couple of months.

#4- Trophies: When you write, log in daily, rate, random trophies are awarded worth anywhere from 5 to 100 points. These can be traded for several things, but one of them is cash at a 20 points=$1 exchange rate. (Payment canter not operational yet... Peter is scrambling to get all these new elements in place before he starts a big promotion to try to get more writers... I'm not premature in sharing all this, but I want to be clear that the "new" system is not all working yet)

#5- Level Completion: There are one-time cash awards for various levels of participation/achievement attained. Cash awards don't begin to kick in till you have been there long enough and written enough to prove that you and your content are an asset to the site.

#6- Bounties: This was a behind-the-scenes option, similar to Textbroker. Clients asked for specific content. Some of us were Alpha testers, and I earned a LOT doing this. It's currently not operational, but is promised to return. You have to qualify by proving that you can write good content. You can apply, so that you are in the queue to receive assignments when it does start up again. These were stuff like - six 500-word articles about basketball uniforms using XXXX keywords.

I have to emphasize, that this is a site in transition. I got in early, and that helps a lot, because those of us with a body of work are doing well. We weren't sure how the new system would appeal to new authors. But there are a few rising stars who don't seem discouraged that it will take them a while to reach Publisher-Rater status, where they can earn from rating.

Peter Ejtel, founder and CEO is like Michy in several ways. He works like a dog for the site. He cares about his authors. He listens to his authors. He's more worried about a way to generate income for all of us than about his personal finances (he actually sold personal possessions to finance the site for a few months after the venture capital ran out). He communicates with us personally in the forum.

On the other hand, he is young and overly optimistic about what he can accomplish in a given amount of time. He usually promises things in XX weeks or days, and can't deliver them till XX times 2. I think he's the only staff person, but I'm not positive. There were at least two others, but I think the financial bump from start-up to paying-for-itself site was too much for them. I know they are gone. Peter says "we" a lot... but I think he's it.

After the initial VC to Sink-or-Swim bump, the site went to a model that was fun, but not sustainable. After a year+ of that, Peter decided rather than to just disappear that he would ask "us" to hang in there with him. He suspended new income for a couple of months, slowly totally repaid all overdue amounts, reworked the model, and that's where we are now. We just finished the first month with all the new stuff (except Bounties) in place. We are waiting for our income totals to be posted, which is why I don't have a lot of definitive income info.

I know this is a long post, but I'm trying to be as honest as possible about it all. I REALLY like it there because Peter values good authors rather than treating them like a bunch of cattle.

My Quality Day (blog)
opher
Literary Master

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 02:26 PM

Joan,

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I was not being flip or negative in my question. I was intrigued by what you wrote, and looked for more info on the site itself, only to be stymied there since the "about" page is currently a place-holder only.

Do you know (approximately) how many active writers are there, and how many articles are on the site? I'm not looking for an answer like "573 writers and 53,187 articles", but more like "several dozen" or "almost a thousand" active writers, and "many thousands" or "almost 100k" articles, type of answer.

The reason I'm asking is to get a sense of the magnitude of the site, which would tend to provide a better feeling for how likely it is to stay around and be worth getting involved in.

sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 03:50 PM

AH... the number of articles/ reviews is currently about 50K. The number of writers is hard to say. Under the old system there were a lot of accounts created where people just voted, and did no writing. They are members, but not able to earn anything now, where only authors and author/raters can earn (unless they write something!). There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of authors, although a lot of them have not come back and decided to be active after the payout hiatus. I would say that there are, RIGHT NOW this month, maybe 100 active authors.

See... under the first system, when there was venture capital, we got paid $2 per review. That built content on the site, and a lot of people wrote then, and left when that phase ended. During the middle phase, one could earn by having content with lots of votes, and by being one who had voted for the most popular content. All those voters are still members, but many of them never will write anything. Previously active authors are still dribbling back, trying to wrap their heads around the new rules... some like it, some don't. No surprise there, I suppose.

Forget "About"- click on Knowledge Center and you can find more detailed info about most of what I explained above.

[Edited on 19-1-2011 by sharkbytes]

My Quality Day (blog)
sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 03:53 PM

P.S. I didn't detect flip or negative. I was just trying to (fairly) clearly explain a rather complex and new system.

There are still links from blogs people find that lead them to believe they can earn $2 per content item... so they come in and then find out that's not true, and they think it's a scam... but SR has had to evolve, and can't be held responsible for links with outdated information, eh?

All content and rates will earn as long as the site doesn't tank. I think this new model is looking quite stable. The maintenance requirements to keep that residual income are quite fair... nothing like the daily grind at Helium. Maintenance requirements are clearly spelled out in the Knowledge Center

My Quality Day (blog)
jckat
Master Writer

[*] posted on 1/9/2011 at 08:01 PM

Thanks all. I appreciate the input. I think I am going to need to expand my horizons soon and appreciate the knowledge you share.

Associated Content
Suite 101
Bukisa
andisaid
Literary Master

Mood: very happy and content today

[*] posted on 1/10/2011 at 03:57 PM

Thanks Joan for all your explanations

Nicole
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Glad

[*] posted on 1/14/2011 at 12:29 PM

Kathy, I second Theresa's recommendation for Bright Hub. The editors over there are pretty good to work with. You could also try Demand Studios. Right now, I am having difficulty finding titles that I can write about at DS but I only search for specific assignments in certain categories and certain style types. The only thing with DS is that sometimes, the editors may reject your article so then, you've wasted all that time writing it for $15. However, some editors just send articles back for rewrites, which gives you a chance to still get it published. WiseGeek may also be a nice choice too and I think Wendy and Michy do well on Seed, but you'd have to ask them if this is still accurate.

jckat
Master Writer

[*] posted on 1/14/2011 at 07:14 PM

Thanks Nicole. I should be back home in another week or so and will check it out then.

Associated Content
Suite 101
Bukisa
rudy2
Founding Member

Mood: Happy as a witch in a broom factory

[*] posted on 6/18/2011 at 10:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sharkbytes  
P.S. I didn't detect flip or negative. I was just trying to (fairly) clearly explain a rather complex and new system.

There are still links from blogs people find that lead them to believe they can earn $2 per content item... so they come in and then find out that's not true, and they think it's a scam... but SR has had to evolve, and can't be held responsible for links with outdated information, eh?

All content and rates will earn as long as the site doesn't tank. I think this new model is looking quite stable. The maintenance requirements to keep that residual income are quite fair... nothing like the daily grind at Helium. Maintenance requirements are clearly spelled out in the Knowledge Center

Are you still with SR, and still recommend them? I checked it out, and although I never tried this sort of thing before, this one looked easy enough so I joined. I probably should have asked you what you thought first lol

Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.
Thomas Jefferson
sharkbytes
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/19/2011 at 07:08 AM

Well, I just made Publisher-Editor, the first person to do so. Therefore, I'm making more cash than anyone else on the site right now, because that is the first level that has a guaranteed monthly payment (as long as I meet certain levels of activity). So, I'm pleased.

Negatives- we are still all waiting for a huge site makeover release that is supposed to fix some of the nagging problems, but it's taking forever. Many of the old faithful members have pretty much given up waiting for this and aren't doing much. That's their choice.

Like any of these sites, you have to have a body of work to earn very much.

Unlike most of the contest sites, the payout didn't take such a big hit with the Google algorithm shakeup because SR has a narrow definition of readers, and because they split a set pot of money each month, so even if there are fewer readers, each reader is worth more.

Hope this helps. With my residual payout as P-E, I will be making about $65 a month there. I won't lie to you; this is more than most people are making. But, if you build up a body of work and get yourself to the Pubisher-Rater status so you can also earn from giving ratings, you should be able to easily make $10 or more a month.

Jennifer recently became active there again (she joined long ago). She isn't quite to Pub-Rat yet and only has 34 content items (I have over 500). Maybe she can tell you if she's making enough cash to be paid every month yet.

My Quality Day (blog)
melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/19/2011 at 08:47 AM

Ecopywriters.com. I often write content for them. Their editors are reasonable and easy to work with. They pay regularly.

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

opher
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/19/2011 at 10:57 AM

$10 a month is about what I get from 55 articles on AC with no further work there, and that's after the big Google hit. That does not seem to be very much :(.

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 6/19/2011 at 03:50 PM

I like Demand Studios. They pay pretty well, and on time.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies