Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wild Rose Press?
melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2/28/2011 at 10:51 AM
Wild Rose Press?

Good morning,

I was originally referred to the Wild Rose Press from this forum, so I have a question for the romance writers here. If anyone has any direct experience or has published with them, I'd love the feedback.

I have a paranormal romance short story/about 12,000 words which I'm considering submitting to Wild Rose.

So, this is sorta ballsy, but how does the money work (advances, royalties?) and any thoughts on how much a short story might be worth (ballpark).

Anyone?

Bueller?

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 2/28/2011 at 11:01 AM

Wild Rose does not offer advances at all, but their royalties agreement seems to be pretty good, especially for e-books.

I have a friend who published through them and she was happy with the amount of promotion and support they did, but disappointed in the lack of an advance. Haven't asked her laterly about the royalties. Her name is Pamela Hearon and she wrote "His Hotness".

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 2/28/2011 at 11:14 AM

They are a reputable small press, but they do not provide advances, like most small presses. Royalties are all you'll get, and that means you'll share with the publisher in the royalties on the books. 12K is a very short story for publishing with them, and that means ebook only. They probably do a 60/40, 70/30 or 50/50 split - anything less than 70/30, I wouldn't go for it. But they are actively seeking shorts under 55k now - so it's a really good time to query and submit to them.

Remember also that they have very specific guidelines for their romances, such as the story must have a happy ending and more. If you don't follow those, they will reject you.

Other than that, good luck with the submission!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2/28/2011 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for the info!

Mitchy, I'll bear that in mind if I reach the stage where royalties come up.

My story isn't strictly formula so I may have problems submitting to them since I'm setting it up for a sequel. I'm unclear where to submit paranormal fic otherwise...

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 2/28/2011 at 12:07 PM

They do:

Faery Rose - Light Paranormal (elves, fairies, good witches, fantasy, futuristic)
Black Rose -Dark Paranormal (werewolves, shapeshifters, vampires, etc.)

So that shouldn't be an issue. If you're setting it up for a sequel and it's only 12,000 words, I'd recommend that you consider doing the 'sequel' and the already finished one as one work instead of two, and then you can submit it together. 12k for a fully developed story to stand alone isn't very long.

Wild Rose requires it to be a romance, where there is a happy ever after ending - so if you set it up for a sequel, it's hard to get 'happy ever after'.... and really, that should be 'happily ever after', but they used it that way - you'd think a publisher would know better.

Anyway, my point is, if you can't get that happily ever after, then you might want to go with someone else. If you need some suggestions, check out the fiction paying leads forum here on the board - and I'm always putting new stuff up.

Keep us posted how it goes. Good luck!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2/28/2011 at 04:35 PM

I have a friend, Judy Nickles, who has two books published through Wild Rose and another coming out in about a month. She likes them very much, says communication is great and they work well with the author. She receives her royalty checks regularly. The Editor-in-Chief, Rhonda Pender, spoke at the Ozark Creative Writers Conference and I was impressed with her. She seems ready to give advice or help in any way possible. They work more quickly than a lot of places.

I submitted a novel to them last night before I went to bed: query and synopsis. This morning when I got up I had a request for the first three chapters. Wish me luck!

I just looked for and found my notes from the conference:
They answer queries within 30 days/
They answer partials within 60 days.
Short stories take 2 months.
Royalties are paid 2 quarters out.
A standard contract is for 2 years.
Royalties are 10% for print and 37% for e-books.

[Edited on 2/28/2011 by Nancy G.]

Sadie
Literary Master

Mood: Hangry and Smad!

[*] posted on 2/28/2011 at 04:41 PM

Excellent, Nancy Bright Eyes. I've certainly enjoyed what I've seen of your writing so far, and I just know I'd love to read a novel of yours. Best wishes that they'll be a good fit with you.

I was helping the children locked in cages during the Obama presidency, were you?

Facebook: never joined it, never will.

Operation Underground Railroad:
http://ourrescue.org/

TTM author page:
http://twintrinitybooks.com/info.php?articles&articles_id=9

Top Ten Reasons...
http://twintrinity.com/?p=1421

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies