Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Don't you just hate it when...
Nicole
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Glad

[*] posted on 3/8/2011 at 09:42 AM
Don't you just hate it when...

...people comment on your articles faking like they are really interested in the content when all they're doing is trying to promote websites, products, services etc.

This behavior also makes it a cause for concern regarding theft...which not only is absurd in and of it self but also creates a duplicated content issue.

Not to say that all of them are doing it. It's still ridiculous how people leave bland comments, like we're not going to catch on to their game.

Today, I noticed comments on a few of my articles, which isn't anything new but they have a similar topic or niche: halloween costumes

While reading these comments, I noticed that the commenter's name is different on each article...but...they still make sure to add the SAME url for a halloween costume website within their comment.

For example:

My Article #1:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/371380/lara_croft_tomb_rai...

My Article #2:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/371400/halloween_movie_cos...

(Notice the comment.... "Will be back to check for more. Cheers".....check?.....check for more of what? other people's content? ugh!......also, I'd rather that he or she didn't, because my articles don't need anymore Spam comments)

My Article #3:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/370276/cheap_angeline_joli...

Different person (or so, they claim! Or maybe the comments are left by a bot), same website!

I started to post the URL link of this website here in the forum, but I won't give them anymore Google juice.

If YCN implemented a captcha for their comments, I wonder if that solution would help to decrease comment spam on AC.

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 3/8/2011 at 09:48 AM

Yah, those are pretty obvious. :( Most things like this are obviously from non-english speakers as well.

On the other hand...

I'm an internet marketer. Commenting on other people's articles or blog posts and leaving your link is a good way to get backlinks and get your name out there. There's a big difference between reading an article because you want the info and leaving your link and copy-pasting your link everywhere. Most blogs, for example, have a URL slot in the comment form.

I know that doesn't really pertain to what happened to you. I just like to speak out against the possible knee-jerk reaction of "link = spam" in all cases.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
----------------------------
Nicole
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Glad

[*] posted on 3/8/2011 at 09:47 PM

I'm with you on what you're talking about with regards to the online marketing and such.

It's not the practice of linking that many people do to promote their websites that I'm concerned about. It's the spamming that is clearly spamming that really pisses me off.

I have blogs and am familiar with the practice of people linking to their websites and/or blogs. I'm also familiar with that URL section that many blogs have...actually we've become very good friends lately.

However, AC doesn't have that slot, so it's not like they're getting backlinks from it, you know.

Any person with common sense can tell that the box is for text for the comment. If there was a URL box, it's understandable if people put their URLs in there, but on AC, it just looks like spam because that option isn't available and so they just add it into their comment.

In the past, I've even received comments that were just URL addresses, on my AC articles. Spam, Spam and more Spam! That's all it is and it needs to stop.

Of course, there are those exceptions where someone does provide a really useful URL address that pertains to the article, in their AC comment but I'm completely referring to those spammers......especially when they try to fake the funk and act like they are different people.

LaurieM
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3/9/2011 at 02:43 PM

Look at it another way; they are page views.

------------------------------------------------------

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies