Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wild Rose
melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5/14/2011 at 08:03 PM
Wild Rose

Well, I heard back from Callie Lynn at Wild Rose. Ironically, her first criticism is that my language was too graphic and explicit for the Black Rose line. I'm at a loss since I had requested of Rhonda Penders (Editor in chief) that it be moved over to Scarlet Rose right after I submitted it and realized I had the wrong line. She said at the time that would be done.

Callie Lynn then went on to make other remarks. I haven't read all of them yet in detail but I'm confident they're perfectly valid, especially with regard to her line.

At the end she then suggests I make revisions and consider the line I'm submitting to.

Of course, I'll go through and consider her suggestions. But resubmit? I can't see why.

I feel like I wasted a month on this and I'm more than mildly disappointed since this press supposedly has an excellent reputation.

I'm going to self-publish via Smashwords. Is anyone inclined to help me with a quick cover? My graphic skills suck like a black hole. LOL

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 5/14/2011 at 08:13 PM

Why are you going to self publish?

If someone at a reputable press took the time to go through my manuscript and provide that type of feedback and then asked me to resubmit, I'd be flying on cloud 9!

Read what she said, edit your manuscript and resubmit it to the right line this time - and get that sucker published!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 5/14/2011 at 08:27 PM

Hi Michy,

My understanding of Wild Rose is that everyone receives positive constructive criticism.

To quote a line: In short, I am unable to consider contract with Black Rose at all as written but have attached your document and do suggest you go over my comments and consider what revisions you are willing to make then decide which line the story would best fit.

I'm frustrated with their process. I guess that's obvious.

Melissa Snark

Jenn.W
Literary Master

Mood: Energized!

[*] posted on 5/14/2011 at 08:33 PM

I wouldn't rush to self publishing just because your frustrated. The decision should be made with a clear head. I decided to self publish, but it was after years of hampering over which way to go.

If Wild Rose looked at your MS, then other publishing companies will too. It will happen. This just means that you and this company don't fit together.

Think it over!

Michy

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 04:56 AM

I agree with Jennifer.

Look, I finished my first book, and by 'finished' I mean, after three years of editing, tweaking, revisions, beta readers, alpha readers and paying an editor to edit it and paying another edit to proof it... THEN I considered it finished.

I entered it in a big contest last year, was a semifinalist in that contest.

I just started Querying that book in January.

So far, I've had over 30 rejections from agent, two partial requests that were then rejected, and about 15 agents who just haven't even responded to me at all.

I'm ecstatic that I have two partials!

I won't even consider self publishing until I've queried at least 200 agents and five of the indie publishers I want.

It's not that I have so much of a disinsterest or negative belief about self publishing. The truth is, as an editor and running TTM, I am fully aware of how much work is involved in promoting a book. Most people who self publish never sell more than 200 books - and even 200 is HUGE. Seriously. The curve, the big winners you hear about, they are less than 1% of all the books out there.

To make it, you have to be willing to research, do the marketing, do the promotion, have the money to pay for all the stuff upfront... you have to learn to format, make the cover, learn how to set the prices. You have to network, and give away free copies. You have to set up your own events and pimp yourself and your book everywhere you go.

And you do this alone.

If you're with a publisher, they have distribution behind you. They have staff. They have marketing no matter how little it might be. They have numbers coming through their website. They have built-in readerships.

There's a reason they are selective: because it they choose what they think will fit into their catalogue, complement it well, so that it's organically supported when they put the time, money and effort into it. They can't accept everything. So if they are offering you constructive criticism, consider it!

Is this the first place you've submitted your book? Are you really going to give up on yourself and your book after just one rejection?

Rejections are a badge of honor and courage for authors. Be proud of this - don't make any rash decisions, do some research and find another publisher, find an agent, and submit it elsewhere!

Have you looked at Harlequin? Have you looked at any of the romance agents?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 08:06 AM

Hi Jenn, Michy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me while I was in a funk. I do apologize and thank you for your wisdom.

Last night I had a knee-jerk reaction from frustration over the story going to the wrong editor. This morning I'm better. :D

I'll implement all of the editor's recommended changes and get it back to the editor-in-chief with the request it go to the correct line.

BTW, it is a short story, not a novel. Neither of my novels is currently ready for submission anywhere yet.

Thanks again! You guys are great!

[Edited on 5/15/2011 by melinda]

Melissa Snark

Michy

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 08:16 AM

yay! I just wanted to let you know, if things don't work out with Wild Rose, TTM would be happy to consider it for our digital short story line if you decide you want to submit it to us too!

Love and stuff,
Michy

C.Lee
Master Writer

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 09:02 AM

If any of you is interested, Samhain is a great romance/erotica e-publisher. All of my favorite romance authors have been published with Samhain several times. Some of the writers, Maya Banks and Shelli Stevens, make it to the New York Times bestseller list. They have great editors and distribution line. I also hope to get published with them some time.

ETA: grammar correction.

[Edited on 5/15/2011 by lydya]

Michy

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 09:09 AM

Samhain is definitely a reputable small press - they have a lot of good things said about them, both by readers and writers alike. Definitely one I'd consider recommending folks to try.

Love and stuff,
Michy

C.Lee
Master Writer

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 10:21 AM

Loose-ID is also a very popular e-publisher for erotica, GLBT and het alike.

Michy

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 10:44 AM

I've never heard of them. I'll have to go check them out. You know someone published with them?

Love and stuff,
Michy

C.Lee
Master Writer

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 11:17 AM

Most of my favorite M/M authors publish with them and they have published some of the best stories in this genre, including Josh Lanyon, a very successful author in this genre who I know "personally", online that is, but we often chat together. I also want to publish with them one day (dream away.. lol).

They also publish het erotica and stories so they might be worth checking out. Another reputable romance e-publisher I know is Noble Romance, and their collection is mostly het romance.

C.Lee
Master Writer

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 11:34 AM

Oh yeah, additional info, I regularly buy ebooks published by Samhain & Loose-Id, their editing, cover, and formatting is quite good for small presses. Well, Samhain is no longer "small", I guess.

Btw, Michy I love you new avatar! So pretty and dreamy.

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 11:37 AM

Just an update.

I made the requested revisions, which took maybe two hours. Then I shot Callie Lynn an email. She's got the revised draft and is going to submit to the Scarlet Rose line.

Thanks for the other market suggestions. If Wild Rose doesn't want it then I'll have to take a look at what I want to do next.

Melissa Snark

C.Lee
Master Writer

[*] posted on 5/15/2011 at 11:59 AM

Good luck, Melinda!

twnkltoz