Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Writing Book on Cemetary
shewolf52002
Member Writer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5/19/2011 at 06:16 PM
Writing Book on Cemetary

Don't know if this is the right place for this question, but I was wondering about the marketability of a book on a particular cemetery, kind of an in depth look into the lives of each family. My uncle does genealogy and has tons of information on all these particular families, even the fact that several slaves of different families are buried there. What do you think? Does something like this have a market?

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 5/19/2011 at 06:20 PM

I think the market would be limited, but I do think there's a market for it. If you can find a local publisher to that cemetery, you could write a proposal to them, with the credentials you have to write it (the inside information you have) and see if they'd consider commissioning the book from you - or if you'd be able to get an advance to write it with a contract.

I don't know, however, how the legalities of it work out for doing information about the individuals.

It could be a fascinating history of the area though....

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 5/19/2011 at 07:02 PM

A plus if it's spooky. :lol:

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy

[*] posted on 5/19/2011 at 07:42 PM

I was thinking on this... doing it as a historical fiction might really have a good light horror/horror thriller. You could have real history of the cemetery, with a fiction storyline and plot to go with it. That would increase the platform considerably.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 3/24/2015 at 07:39 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing--this would really work as a historical horror novel. Of course, you would have to include your own thriller scenes and such. But hey! You have the character background for it already in place, or at least mapped out.

A local non-fiction historical novel? Very limited in publisher appeal unless you find a publisher that does things only in their state.

But I would say that it definitely has thriller/horror appeal in a fiction setting.

chris

[Edited on 3/25/2015 by chrisstevenson]

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is…
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson
westwestern2
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 11/11/2015 at 04:01 AM

It doesn't necessarily have to be a horror novel. The fact that it involves dead people doesn't mean including zombies in your story. You can write a fascinating historical novel in which the lives of those characters would intercept.

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11/11/2015 at 06:59 AM

I can't believe we're going back to a four-year old post. The writer probably is long gone from the site and won't get our advice, but here goes:

Contact your local genealogy society. I'm an active member of the local one, and we put out books like that frequently. If there isn't a genealogy society, try the local historical group. There's bound to be one somewhere in your county. It's a niche market, but books like this do sell well locally, and we even sell and send them to people whose roots reach back to your local. People who are into local history and genealogy love these kind of books.

As I said, the original question was four years ago, but maybe someone today might take this idea and run with it.

runninghorse
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 11/12/2015 at 02:15 AM

It's funny to run across this, because I'm also a photographer, and I've periodically tossed around the idea of photographing OLD gravestones for geneology purposes. The pics might be something families would be interested in that could be added to (or the basis for) geneology books.

What do you think, Nancy?
Nancy G.
Literary Master

[*] posted on 11/12/2015 at 08:32 AM

Jamie, MPGS just put out a new book a couple of months ago with the location and photo of every cemetery in Garland County. (not every headstone--that would be impossible). You might could do that for Montgomery County. It takes a LOT of research to find them all, but I think it would have to be complete to be sellable. Headstones do make good subjects, but there are problems in photographing them. They are very hard to get a readable photo of all the engraving. Used to, we used white chalk over the surface to make the writing stand out, but experts have decided that might be destructive in the long run. The current trend is to take a spray bottle of water to wet the surface and make it readable.

Most genealogists just go to findagrave.com or interment.net to see pics (if someone has put it on there)

Nancy G.
Literary Master

[*] posted on 11/12/2015 at 08:33 AM

Jamie, MPGS just put out a new book a couple of months ago with the location and photo of every cemetery in Garland County. (not every headstone--that would be impossible). You might could do that for Montgomery County. It takes a LOT of research to find them all, but I think it would have to be complete to be sellable. Headstones do make good subjects, but there are problems in photographing them. They are very hard to get a readable photo of all the engraving. Used to, we used white chalk over the surface to make the writing stand out, but experts have decided that might be destructive in the long run. The current trend is to take a spray bottle of water to wet the surface and make it readable.

Most genealogists just go to findagrave.com or interment.net to see pics (if someone has put it on there)

runninghorse
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 12/23/2015 at 11:27 AM

Nancy, thanks for the info. I figured it would take a lot of work. Apparently I was not the first person to have that idea. You have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :grin:
Michy

[*] posted on 12/23/2015 at 09:11 PM

Just goes to show that there really is nothing new under the sun.... but it's still what you do with it!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies