Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synopsis
melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5/20/2011 at 05:08 PM
Synopsis

I've got another romance story titled "Learning to Fly" that I'd like to query Wild Rose on. If anyone has time to give my synopsis a quick critique, I'd appreciate it. :)

Synopsis:

Artist Cassandra Corvette is a woman on the run from a menacing figure from her past. Architect Kyle McCloud has hired the fiery redhead to illustrate his latest project. Suspense and romance govern the pair's interactions right from the start. Sparks fly from their first meeting with a tumble down a hillside that almost ends with a plunge into the rugged waters of Monterrey Bay.

Kyle and Cassandra rescue a juvenile red-tail hawk from barbed wire and nurse the injured bird back to health. The hawk becomes symbolic of Cassandra and tracks her growth as the story progresses. Kyle's tenderness and patience gradually win her trust, and the couple explores an erotic and emotionally-committed relationship.

The suspense continues throughout the story as Cassandra's stalker closes on his prey, a menacing specter always in the backdrop. Cassandra develops unique friendships with Kyle's family and friends. His twin brother, Kieran, provides the potential for a romantic foil. Meanwhile, Shelly, the scheming housekeeper, brings an element of light-hearted humor.

The end comes after Cassie and Kyle have consummated their relationship and as they are nearing the end of their project together. The release of the red-tail hawk precedes declarations of love, and then a final climatic confrontation with Cassie's stalker follows. The epilogue moves forward six months, showing the reader a final glimpse of our hero and heroine as they plan their wedding.

Learning To Fly is a suspense thriller that contains fully developed and detailed love scenes without explicit or vulgar language.

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 5/20/2011 at 07:32 PM

I'm not an expert on synopses. Not by a long shot. A few things did prick my attention as I read through though.

First, is it a suspense thriller or a romance novel? Thrillers, as I have heard, are usually much more fast-paced and have much more wide-spread conflict. Spy games. Terrorist attacks. Exotic plague infects town. Not just one lady and her stalker.

Some of the synopsis seems kinda disjointed to me, and it makes me wonder a bit how the elements in the book are melded together. There's a woman on the run from something really scary. She was hired to do illustrations. When they first meet (presumably before she was hired?) they fall down a hill and rescue a hawk? They seem like separate things. I think you could tie it in better with more emotion. Make me know and care about your characters as people.

Is Cass. fearful of men and slow to trust? Does she feel empathy for the hawk because it was trapped as she used to be trapped in a bad relationship (or wherever the stalker comes from)? How does Kyle win her trust or help her get rid of the stalker?

I think there are also too many "I'm telling you what's in the book" instead of "showing you the story" type of things. As far as I know, a synopsis is basically a dramatic summary of the book, right? (Again, I told you I'm not an expert at all.)

Quote:
The hawk becomes symbolic of Cassandra and tracks her growth as the story progresses.

How so? Why does the hawk symbolize Cassandra and how does a hawk track a human's growth?

Quote:
His twin brother, Kieran, provides the potential for a romantic foil.

What does this mean? Does she fall for Kieran too? Does she share a drunken kiss with hiim at some party and Kyle sees them? What happens?

Synopses for novels should be, according to my research, either 1 page or about 3-5 pages long, unless your novel is exceptionally longer and more complex. Then it could be longer. Unless Wild Rose Press specified a one-page synopsis, you could make this a lot fuller.

[Edited on 21-5-2011 by Melanie]

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley

----------------------------
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5/20/2011 at 07:47 PM

Wild Rose takes them up to five pages, even longer if you need it to tell the story.

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 5/20/2011 at 09:17 PM

Thanks Melanie,
It's a romance with suspense elements. Unfortunately, I'm not experienced writing synopsises? so I'm unclear on exactly what elements/length they want me to go to. The last one I submitted was about four paragraphs and it was good enough to have the full story requested. This story is only slightly longer than the last. I think you've got some great suggestions so I'll go through it again this weekend and try to tie it up more.

Nancy, thank you. :-)

Melissa Snark

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 5/22/2011 at 11:58 AM
Version 2

I'm hoping this is a bit stronger. Does it read better than the first version?

(In an aside, the story is only 30,000 words long, so anything more than a 2 pages synopsis seems like overkill to me.)

Synopsis:

Learning To Fly is a romance story with suspense thriller elements. The story contains fully developed and detailed love scenes without explicit or vulgar language.

Artist Cassandra Corvette is bohemian artist with a passion for shoes and architecture. Architect Kyle McCloud has hired the fiery redhead to illustrate his latest project. It might be a match made in heaven except a traumatic event from Cassie's past has left her distrustful of men.

Cassandra accepts employment from Kyle, but also travels to Los Lobos, California with the hope of evading a menacing figure from her past. The action starts in the first chapter when Kyle startles the nervous Cassandra and the resulting tumble down a hillside almost ends with a plunge into the rugged waters of Monterrey Bay. Multiple phone calls to Cassandra's cell phone and a break in at her San Francisco apartment move the stalker subplot forward.

The central themes of injury and healing play essential roles in the story. Cassandra discovers Kyle's capacity for patience and nurturing when they rescue a juvenile red-tail hawk from barbed wire and restore the bird to health. Kyle gradually wins Cassandra's trust, and the couple explores an erotic and emotionally-committed relationship. Cassie also develops unique friendships with Kyle's family and friends, including his twin brother, Kieran, and Shelly, the scheming housekeeper, who brings an element of light-hearted humor.

The suspense continues throughout the story as Cassandra's stalker closes on his prey, a menacing specter always in the backdrop. The end comes after Cassie and Kyle have consummated their relationship and as they are nearing the end of their project together. The release of the red-tail hawk precedes declarations of love, and then a final climatic confrontation with Cassie's stalker follows. The epilogue moves forward six months, showing the reader a final glimpse of our hero and heroine as they plan their wedding.

[Edited on 5/22/2011 by melinda]

Melissa Snark

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies