Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What an editor wants?
melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

question.gif posted on 6/23/2011 at 09:21 AM
What an editor wants?

G'morning all,

So, I have good news and the editor over at Wild Rose says she'd like to send my story to her senior editor for approval. She is asking for a few revisions, which I expected so it's no surprise.

What's confusing me, is the ambiguity of the request. She wants me to go deeper into who the characters are in terms of both histories and how they trust. The trouble is that I thought I'd addressed both those things fairly thoroughly. I have several crucial scenes where the characters discuss their histories. Others where they distrust or trust each other as they interact.

I tried to get her to clarify what she wants and received another general request for the same thing.

Any suggestions?

Oi. I'm gonna head to the gym and hope something pops into my head on the elliptical.

And yes, I'm thrilled that I've gotten this far! I just want to make sure that I get the rest of the way! :)

[Edited on 6/23/2011 by melinda]

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 6/23/2011 at 10:10 AM

Congratulations! This is a very positive development!

I can't really give much advice here, since we can't see what she said specifically and what your story holds... if you're up for putting it up in the critiques section, or maybe putting up just a few critical passages, maybe we can help a bit with the styling of it.

Is she wanting you to do this before it's forwarded to the sr. editor?

This is very exciting for you!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/23/2011 at 12:12 PM

Hi Michy,

Thanks and I'll post specifically what she said so you can see how vague the request is.

>>>>>>
I've reviewed your ms and I really like where you're going with the storyline. I'm interested in sending it forward to my SE for approval, but hoped you might consider a couple small revisions that will improve the character development and reinforce this relationship made from dark circumstances. Primarily, I think the reader needs to know a bit more about the H/H in order to empathize with them and want them to get together (i.e., why they are attracted to each other, what their emotional strengths and weaknesses are that have put them in this situation, where do they stand on trust/commitment?). This situation develops so quickly that we want to be sure a relationship is plausible once they leave that house.
>>>>>>

Robert did read one of the early drafts of my story, and a friend of mine has also read it. And the first editor at Wild Rose before it got passed along to the current.

She says small revisions but my efforts to elicit more specific suggestions from her were met with another fairly vague response. I'm happy to go ahead and add a couple more focused scenes and tighten up the ending (areas I think might improve the story). But that doesn't show me what I'm missing because I'm too close to the story.

Melissa Snark

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 6/23/2011 at 12:59 PM

Great news! Can't answer there except to say to add more stuff in the direction the editor wants, but congrats on getting this far!

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
raian76
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/23/2011 at 02:54 PM

My advice would be not to make any changes on it until you have a contract. Unless YOU want to make the changes.

When I had an agent, we had several editors asking for changes and my agent advised me to not do it until I had some money from them. Two of the editors were asking for some major changes and I really agreed that it would have been a LOT of work for speculation.

Good luck with the project, and I hope the Senior Editor is happy enough with your work to make an offer.
moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 6/23/2011 at 03:34 PM

Gonna completely disagree with Linda (sorry). My friend Pam whose book "His Hotness" was published through Wild Rose was asked after the initial read through to rewrite the opening with more punch. She rewrote 3 chapters and in 3 weeks had a contract.

It seems like what she's asking for is a deeper connection between the characters...something he admires in her, etc. Congrats and keep at it. It sounds like you're well on your way to a contract!!

Michy

[*] posted on 6/23/2011 at 04:19 PM

I have to agree with Cindy... I mean, if you are saying you can make some changes to tighten anything, then you're agreeing there's something you can do... maybe start with that change, the one you know you can make, and see if it doesn't lead you somewhere else.

I would never change something that I am dead-set on keeping, but adding a bit more, showing more tension or heat or sizzle between the characters might be just as simple as a few internal dialogue thoughts, a few glimpses into the attraction factor or something. My impression from this is that she doesn't want you to change the story- she just wants you to make sure there are no holes here where a reader might say, "Huh... that's not how I would have expected them to hook up... or act.. or whatever..."

It sounds to me like they are looking for a reason to accept this... so start with what you yourself knows can be stronger, and see if that doesn't just do the trick.

Linda, I have to disagree right now - if you're an established author, then holding out for the money is great. But if you're not, and you're not published anywhere, and you're trying to get your foot in the door like 100,000k other writers and you say, "Show me the money..." they'll show you the door. It's not like the editor is being unreasonable here in asking for some minor improvements to strengthen a story, and the feedback could be invaluable for future submissions if they don't buy the story and shows she's easy and willing to work with them if they do buy the story.

As long as it doesn't go against the integrity of the story or the writer, I see no reason to consider making improvements to a story that they are expressing interest in.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/24/2011 at 01:01 PM

Thanks guys, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the contract!

I've elected to just work through the entire story two or three times and add material where it feels natural. I guess if the editor feels it isn't sufficient then she'll tell me to revise again. Overall, it does seem to be strengthening the story so I don't object.

Linda, Wild Rose doesn't give advances. They're royalties only. I'm okay with the revisions if it will get the story into shape for publication. Ultimately, if I don't get a contract offer, then hopefully I'll have an improved story.

Michy,
I do have one other short story submitted to them right now also under a different line. There have been some missteps with communication but so far they've been pretty easy to work with.

Melissa Snark

Michy

[*] posted on 6/24/2011 at 01:22 PM

Just keep plugging, Melinda... you're on the right track. This is how a writing career starts, blossoms and grows! Don't get discouraged and just keep going!

In the meantime, don't forget to keep writing new stuff too...otherwise, once this all settles, you'll have nothing to move on to and it will feel like a little let down - so start planning your next works, your next project, and keep the momentum.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies