Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Critique partner?
melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8/28/2011 at 06:23 PM
Critique partner?

Hey all,

I'm still trying to find a critique partner in the romance genre. I write supernatural fic but I'm willing to proof any genre/level of sensuality.

I have a contract with Wild Rose if soon-to-be published bestows any credibility.

I'm a pretty good critique partner. I give substantive feedback on content, and I won't go POOF.

I can be reached via email at asscerbic @ gmail.com

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 02:26 AM

I really wish I could help you, but I'm not a dependable critique partner right now, plus romance isn't my genre at all... I do hope you find someone perfect though! A good critique partner is invaluable to a writer!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 06:58 AM

Melinda, I'm thinking about it. I have written one romance, which was turned down by TWRP (or not really turned down exactly) for being too passive (although I don't use the passive voice). I've just been letting that one set. And now I'm writing another one, a western romance, although I'm writing it for a western contest at the Ozark Creative Writers Conference in Oct. I know I need help, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to be help for you.

moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 08:09 AM

Melinda,

If I were a good critique partner at all, I'd jump on this, but I stink at critique, fluctuating from too kind and forgiving to too cranky. Are you an RWA member? They cna help you hook up with online crit groups. The scifi/fantasy/paranormal online group is pretty active (though harsh as I understand it).

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 12:05 PM

Michy, Thanks. I've been trying for a while now to find a reliable critique partner. I'd love to find someone I could work with cross-genre.

Nancy, I had an interesting experience with one of the WRP editors. I had two stories in at the same time. One is paranormal romance, accepted. The other, written in my same style, was suspense and the editor deemed my style to be too passive for them. Then she went through the mss and highlighted EVERY single instance of 'was', 'had' or 'have.' Mind you, *including* the dialogue. She gave no other useful feedback so I pretty much put her email into the trash. I haven't figured out yet what to do with that particular story. If she'd said something useful, I'd have tried to revise it, but I got the impression she didn't even bother to read it.

I'd love to work with you on your western romance if you need a sounding wall. :)

Moonshadow, Nope, I'm not familiar with the RWA. I'll check into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Melissa Snark

Nancy G.
Literary Master

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 02:00 PM

Melinda! We had the very same editor, I'm sure!
Mine is a mystery,too, and that's exactly what she told me! And did--highlighted every single 'was', 'had', and 'have'. She didn't exactly turn it down, just said it is too passive. But she didn't say rewrite and resubmit, either. I have looked at that story, but really can't quite come up with exactly what to do. When someone's in bed with no memory of what has happened to her (my heroine), how 'active' is she supposed to be, if that's the kind of active she was talking about. None of my sentences were in the passive voice.
Maybe we ought to trade THOSE stories and see what we can do with them.

Michy

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 02:52 PM

I think you both should actually send an email to the managing editor and let them know there's an editor who doesn't understand passive voice. For her to hit both of you with the same error, means she's hitting others with it too.

If I were a managing editor, and I am, I'd like to know if one of my editors is consistently making the same mistake so I could use it as a meas to train and improve. I really think ya'll should consider emailing someone and letting them know this is a problem.

'was' 'had' and 'have' absolutely do not make things passive...

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 03:07 PM

Nancy,

Oh my god, it's nice to know that I'm not the only writer that woman has hit. The husband looked at me like I was nuts when I described what she'd said/done.

But yes, I'd love to revisit that story. It was one of my first and I've re-written it no less than five times over the course of years. Maybe we can try to locate a new publisher and prep them for submission since they're of the same genre? My email addy is asscerbic @ gmail dot com if you'd like to talk more.

Michy,

I considered it at the time but I'm under contract with one of their other editors on another line. The LAST thing I want to do is rock the boat. :-(

Melissa Snark

Michy

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 03:13 PM

Have ya'll looked at Heroes & Heartbreakers?

http://www.heroesandheartbreakers.com/page/submissions

Pays $1000 upfront, plus royalties from sales. It's through MacMillan, I think - have to go look to be sure - but it's a big one. I intend to submit to them when I'm able to write again...

Love and stuff,
Michy

raian76
Literary Master

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 04:50 PM

Melinda, I'm just not a big romance fan, but I'm still available to read/critique your other stories if/when you're ready. I've been mega busy getting my books published, but didn't want you to think I wouldn't do it.
melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 05:06 PM

Michy,

Wow, you just reminded me that I started to edit the same story discussed above down for this particular line. I had to cut it from about 40,000 words to get it short enough to submit to H&H. The current draft I have of it seems to be about 21,000 words. I was stuck on what to cut to get down to the 15,000 word max, so I set the project aside. It might be time to revisit it. Thanks!

Linda,

LOL. I have more of my Viking werewolf story if you'd like to see it. I knew you were busy and I didn't want to send it to you and then have you feel obligated to read it when you're so short on free time. But if you want then I'll send it along. :)

Melissa Snark

Nancy G.
Literary Master

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 08:25 PM

Michy, I've met the editor and chief of TWRP, Rhonda Pender, and she puts all faith in her editors. I wouldn't go directly to her. I'd rather find another publisher for this. I might try TWRP for something in a different line, since that would be a different editor. I have a friend who has published two with them and is quite satisfied.

Melinda, why don't we swap those, to start with, and see if WE think each other's work is 'too passive'. I have thought of a different way/place to start, but I don't know if that would help with this editor. I'd rather maybe try it someplace else the way it is. It is 68K. Melinda, do you still have the full of yours?

I'm writing something else for H&H, something that the word count is what they want without cutting my work to pieces. I just don't think you can take a full novel down to a short story with success.

Melinda, my email is Nancywrites(at)Hotsprings.net

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 10:06 PM

Hi Nancy,

I sent along the full version and the edited down one. I think I might be able to make mine work as a short story since it wasn't a mystery but a suspense-thriller. The hard part is really shedding that final 5-6k.

I'm also up for looking around for another market for the full. Even another epublisher would be agreeable.

Melissa Snark

Nancy G.
Literary Master

[*] posted on 8/30/2011 at 10:39 PM

I haven't gotten it yet. I didn't think it took this long for emails to go thru. Have you rec'd mine?

moonshadow68

[*] posted on 8/31/2011 at 07:21 AM

Ladies,

They do very few advances, but http://www.secretcravingspublishing.com might work for either of you...

Editted because I'm an idiot! Sorry, Melinda!

[Edited on 8-31-2011 by moonshadow68]

melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 8/31/2011 at 09:29 AM

Nancy,
I have yours. Did you ever receive mine? Have you checked your spam folder?

Moonshadow,
My goodness...?

Melissa Snark

moonshadow68

[*] posted on 8/31/2011 at 09:37 AM

Oh my gosh! Leaving off a word in the link is bad! Sorry.... :(

Melissahuie
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 9/25/2011 at 11:03 AM

HI!!!

I'm interested in trading if you want. I have a romance/suspense/chick lit that its currently available on Kindle. I can send you the word doc version if you want to send me yours.

My email is Melissadhuie@gmail.com (Make sure the D is in between the names.. there is another melissa huie out there.!)

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies