Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: publishing question
Tangoshoes
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: in repair

[*] posted on 11/25/2011 at 11:14 AM
publishing question

when a site says they won't consider anything previously published on a website, do things we post in the forums here, say like, in the writing prompt section, count as published? This is a website, yes, but I would consider what I might post in this particular section a "rough draft," not intended for publishing purposes, but more for critique or what not. I'm not too familiar with copyright and publishing stuff regarding the web, which I guess I need to start educating myself on, but I'm submitting some stuff somewhere and want to know what is considered "previously published, including on a website."

oh, and what about poetry I might have put in my blog?

thanks!

[Edited on 11/25/2011 by Tangoshoes]

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 11/25/2011 at 12:04 PM

Things posted on public forums and blogs are considered previously published. If you posted in the critique section- which has to have a password it wouldn't be considered previously published because the general public can't read it and it won't get indexed on google.

Tangoshoes
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 11/25/2011 at 11:13 PM

Hey thanks for the answer. Could I delete my post that has the poem I wanted to submit, or is it worth it more to just find someplace that doesn't mind previously published in the sense of posting on a forum?

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11/25/2011 at 11:24 PM

I'm not sure, but I think once it has been published, it's published, even if you pull it at this point. How long has it been up?

Tangoshoes
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 11/25/2011 at 11:28 PM

just a little over a week... it was just an off the cuff sort of poem for the prompt section :(

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 11/26/2011 at 11:32 AM

I think once it is out there it is too late. You prob ably would be better off finding a place that accepts previously published work.

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 11/26/2011 at 03:54 PM

Actually, it's not considered published if it was posted here on the forum as a prompt for critique and feedback - just go delete it and you're fine. We're indexed daily, several times per day, and it'll update soon. However, I do highly encourage folks to post behind the password if you feel you might use it in the future. You can always respond to the prompt with a link to the password protected version if you'd like.

Poems on blogs are published though and removing them is 'cheating', and not a good idea.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Tangoshoes
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 11/27/2011 at 09:41 AM

ah the fine points of publishing rights. Thanks guys. I wasn't sure about any of this... i guess if i am to be serious about getting my poetry out there, I should be more cautious where I'm posting it. Most of what I put in my blog is older stuff, but I think I've come up with some good stuff for the writing prompts here, just never thought about seriously trying to submit them somewhere. Lesson learned: just use the password section! Will also search for lit mags that don't mind prev published stuff too. *sigh*

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies