Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Submission guidelines...
ConceptionCarver
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/26/2012 at 09:14 PM
Submission guidelines...

So the first agency on my list has these guidelines:

Your email query should include the following within the body of the email: your query letter, a synopsis of the book, and the first five pages of your manuscript. We will not open or respond to any e-mails that have attachments. You may also include the name of the specific agent you’d like to query, but please understand that querying one of us is querying all of us. If we like the sound of your work, we will request more material from you. Our response time is four weeks on queries, six to eight weeks on full manuscripts. If you haven’t heard from us within that time, feel free to check in via email.

My question, should you choose to answer it, is: Are they asking for a full book synopsis in addition to the mini-synopsis in the query letter, or am I wrong? A full book synopsis should have a snapshot of each chapter, correct?

Thank you for your input.
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 1/26/2012 at 09:24 PM

No, at this point, they are likely wanting a one-page synopsis that includes the ending of your story. In the query, you do not have to tell the ending - in the query, you can tease. In the synopsis, though, you must tell your ending so they know how you tie up your loose ends.

So for the query process, if they are asking for a synopsis upfront, they probably only want a one-page synopsis with the ending. Then they might ask you for a full synopsis and chapter analysis if they like your query and synopsis.

Good luck!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

ConceptionCarver
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 1/26/2012 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Michy  
No, at this point, they are likely wanting a one-page synopsis that includes the ending of your story. In the query, you do not have to tell the ending - in the query, you can tease. In the synopsis, though, you must tell your ending so they know how you tie up your loose ends.

So for the query process, if they are asking for a synopsis upfront, they probably only want a one-page synopsis with the ending. Then they might ask you for a full synopsis and chapter analysis if they like your query and synopsis.

Good luck!

Very good. Thank You Michy!

I'm not submitting yet, but I'm working on the query so everything is together come the day I finish in February. I can't wait to start submitting!
Michy

[*] posted on 1/26/2012 at 09:38 PM

Yes, you can wait.

Let me give you a little advice that I learned the hard way, okay? Take it for whatever it is worth..

When I finished my first book, I queried far and wide.

Then I got a little feedback... about six months later, with not a single request for a partial or anything, I took the advice and restructured some of the story and completely rewrote the query.

Unfortunately, I could not re-query an agent I'd already queried with the same project, even though I'd changed it... so I missed out on sending them the really GOOD version of the story and query.

So I highly suggest you wait AT LEAST a month after finishing the book and finishing your editing before you query. And that before you do, you also read it again and see if you still feel the same about it after that month of not looking at it at all. Then you will also likely want to re-edit it then, to make sure you're not missing anything you might have missed when you were too close to it.

Then and only then can you and should you start querying, and when you do, I'd do it in small batches of just five to ten agents at a time, and wait for feedback before you send on to others, because they might reveal something major you want to change before you send it out to the next batch, and you don't want to lose your ability to send to your A-list.

Don't rush the submission process and don't rush TO the submission process.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1/26/2012 at 10:49 PM

I'd like to add; the longer you wait after 'finishing' your novel and re-reading it, the more edits you'll find to do. You are too close to it when you first 'finish' it, and it isn't finished at all. I'm just now going over a novel I 'finished' two years ago,( and had edited and had Michy edit) and i'm seeing all sorts of things to change, take out, and add. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's true, and you'll give yourself a better opportunity by slowing down.

ConceptionCarver
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 1/26/2012 at 11:51 PM

I understand where both of you are coming from, but I don't have two years to wait. Honestly I don't have two month's. If I have to work 18 hours a day to get this thing done within the next month, then that is what I have to do. I have several readers I'm submitting my final edits to and so far the consensus is "WHERE IS THE NEXT CHAPTER?" and "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME? HURRY UP!" I'm getting great feedback as well as suggestions and edits for parts that confuse people. I've already gone back and re-revised the first chapter to give the opening a stronger hook and presence. I won't submit until I'm confident it will knock the socks off an agent on the first query and after my first premature query I'm quadruple checking my work to be sure. I want to submit in Feb, but if it takes until June to get it right, I'll put the time in, but I'm driven and f***ure isn't an option anymore. Honestly, I'm as bad off as JK Rowling was, and The Wizard Within is my Harry Potter. Whatever it takes i will sell this book this year. Unfortunately time isn't on my side.

By no means am I throwing away your advice. If things were different I would sit on this egg and hatch it with slow, gentle care, but right now i need to ride a dragon and I'm throwing this egg in the fire;) I know it's a long shot, but my gut tells me it's not as long as I think.

When this book does take off i will not forget who helped me;)

Thank You and when did the clock turn 12? I need to sleep...lol
Michy

[*] posted on 1/27/2012 at 02:52 AM

I do understand your sentiment... but if you submit before you're ready, you won't be waiting two years - you might be waiting forever.

Just don't rush it...

Love and stuff,
Michy

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1/27/2012 at 07:38 AM

Take it from someone who will be 75 years old shortly--I know about the push of time. My advice is still the same. I don't mean wait two years, but at least a month or so. The longer the better. If the push of time is about making money, it'll be ages before that happens.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies