Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  18
Author: Subject: DerekOdomAuthor.com Posts :)
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 6/10/2012 at 08:22 PM
DerekOdomAuthor.com Posts :)

In my newest post, I discuss how writing, drumming (or learning any instrument, really), and chess are closely related to each other.

http://derekodomauthor.com/writing-drumming-and-chess/

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Sadie
Literary Master

Mood: Hangry and Smad!

[*] posted on 6/11/2012 at 10:32 AM

Personally, I am already perfect at everything I do the very first time I even try it. ;)

I read something this morning that I have to share with you...

"Good name for a tribute band made up of lawyers who like to glam up and rock out on the weekends: Twisted Ceaseanddesister." --Tim Siedell

:smilegrin:

I was helping the children locked in cages during the Obama presidency, were you?

Facebook: never joined it, never will.

Operation Underground Railroad:
http://ourrescue.org/

TTM author page:
http://twintrinitybooks.com/info.php?articles&articles_id=9

Top Ten Reasons...
http://twintrinity.com/?p=1421
Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/15/2012 at 10:58 AM

Another post is up! I found this horrible; what about you?

http://derekodomauthor.com/disgusting-high-school-sign/

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

DeusExLibrus
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: SQUEE

[*] posted on 6/15/2012 at 12:08 PM

Grammar stuff always drives me up a wall. Especially when its someone that should know better (or at least have a copy-editor between them and the public) making the mistakes. Probably comes from having an English Major lawyer for a mother. :D

My AC Page:
my articles

Check out my blog:
the Modern Monkey Mind

I've got a book blog now!:
Shelf of Wonders

my tumblog has some pretty awesome stuff too: Modern Monkey Miscellany
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6/15/2012 at 02:00 PM

Grammar stuff really bugs me when it is on a permanent sign. Or even a not-so-permanent one. A couple of months ago I suggested the Cracker Barrel (a restaurant chain that sells lots more than food) change their blackboard sign. It said "Rockers--a porches best friend".

In another town (where I used to live) two signs announcing the names of the businesses bugged me.
"Marks To". It should have been Marks Two, or better yet, Marks II. My mind always said, "Marks to what?"

The other was Haye's. I commented on the name one day when I was there, because the name Haye had been in the local news. They said no, the name was Hayes, with an s, not Haye. No relation to the person in the news. I said, then the name is wrong on the sign. I'd have the sign painter do it over. But they never understood what I meant.

Doesn't the sign painter owe an obligation to point it out when people ask for their sign spelled incorrectly? Like, "hey, man, that ought to be -----"

DeusExLibrus
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 6/15/2012 at 02:07 PM

Nancy, at this point I'm pretty sure some people either don't give a damn or are incapable of understanding that grammar and spelling rules have a purpose beyond giving their high school English teacher a reason to give their essay on "Mi Weakend Ezcapead's" a failing grade.

My AC Page:
my articles

Check out my blog:
the Modern Monkey Mind

Shelf of Wonders

Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/15/2012 at 02:28 PM

LOL! Oh, the Haye's thing gave me extra hate. Grrr...

Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/16/2012 at 02:45 PM

New post, great band! :)

http://derekodomauthor.com/i-saw-a-neat-band/

Sadie
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/16/2012 at 10:50 PM

It really is so nice to hear about a genuine, long-term, true love for the music instead of the stuff I have heard so often from people who just want attention and tons of money.

I was helping the children locked in cages during the Obama presidency, were you?

TTM author page:

Top Ten Reasons...
Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/17/2012 at 09:47 AM

...or wiminz. I shudder to think how many nerd guitarists picked up the axe for the first time so they could score chicks. :lol:

Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/21/2012 at 03:32 PM

New post about kicking some ass.

http://derekodomauthor.com/twists-and-turns/

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 6/22/2012 at 10:09 AM

I'm still loving your new digs on that site... really sharp looking.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
DeusExLibrus
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 6/22/2012 at 11:28 AM

Love the new background Derek! Very fitting.

My AC Page:
my articles

Check out my blog:
the Modern Monkey Mind

Shelf of Wonders

Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/22/2012 at 11:35 AM

We are changing it around over and over this morning, because the old wood was dark and hurt my eyes, lol. Once we decide on something, I'll post to the blog in response to M's awesome post the other day. :)

DeusExLibrus
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 6/22/2012 at 11:38 AM

Cool. I like the dripping blood, very fitting, Of course its your blog. Looking forward to seeing what you settle on!

My AC Page:
my articles

Check out my blog:
the Modern Monkey Mind

Shelf of Wonders

Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/22/2012 at 11:47 AM

Okay, we figured out the issue: The background pictures were great, big quality ones, and the thing wasnít using it all. Instead, it was really zooming in on one portion of it, which made the grains blurry.

We are getting it, now! :)

Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/22/2012 at 01:44 PM

Here we are, as promised! 1,400 some-odd words, though. Sorry. :cool:

http://derekodomauthor.com/sorry-life-you-cannot-beat-me/

Sadie
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/22/2012 at 03:49 PM

Excellent.

I think if anyone has doubts about your abilities, that would indicate they haven't actually read your stuff. I am very glad I got your story from Amazon-- I definitely look forward to more from you. At this point, I think I could throw just about any word or phrase at you in the writing prompts and you could pick it up and run with it in a big way.

Much respect to people out there trying with all their hearts to write short stories and novels if that's what they really want...AND also respect to people who work hard at other kinds of writing because novels don't happen to be their thing.

TTM author page:

Top Ten Reasons...
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 6/22/2012 at 09:53 PM

Great post... and I'm glad to read it too - the part about how you always pull out of things, I knew. It's what I told you myself. You're not blessed or charmed. It's all in your attitude.

One time, my son... who in his short 17 years has been through some serious shit, told me, "I don't know, mama. I just know I'm always going to be okay. You know how I know that?"

I said, "How?"

He said, "Because I just know I am. I guess, 'cause I choose to be okay."

And it was then I realized he would be okay. And as hard as it is, 'cause it's not easy, it really is that simple.. we will be okay, because there is no other alternative, because we choose to be, because anything else is simply not possible.

You'll be okay, because you look at it all as a big adventure and a lesson and writing stock, just like I do. Doesn't mean you're always happy. Doesn't mean you're always where you want to be. But it does mean you take everything life throws at you and use it.

What doesn't kill us... yadda yadda.

But it's true. And you and I, Derek, we both do it over and over again... to the point where we sometimes amaze ourselves.

When I got so down after getting sick this last time, with the heart failure part--I was so f'ing angry. I had always watched my weight, ate better than most people I knew, was moderately active, took decent care of myself, hadn't had any heart disease or other problems--so it was so super unfair for the universe to throw that crap at me. What did I ever do to deserve that? So I let it get to me... for a short period of time, I gave up. I let myself forget that I always pull out. Always. And eventually, I did.

I knew I was going to be okay when I was in the hospital, sitting on the side of the bed, unable to breathe after a respiratory test, with a heart monitor on me to save my life in case I had a 'sudden death' incident, as they called them (isn't that a lovely name?)... and they were trying to stick me with yet another needle and couldn't find a vein... and I said to Lynn, "I wonder what they would do if something really serious ever happened to me..."

And everyone in the room paused like in a movie, like literally paused... and then the nurses and everyone else in there all started laughing. Once I realized what I'd said, I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face and couldn't sit still for the blood test and they had to come back later. It was hilarious.

Anyway... the point of that segue is: It's all a matter of how you choose to take it. You either take it, make it yours, and use it. Or you take it up the ass, and it owns you. Your choice.

You're one of the most optimistically geared people I know... I love your energy. You don't take anything laying down. Keep doing that, and you're going to make it. It's pretty simple. Won't be easy, but it's pretty simple.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/22/2012 at 11:58 PM

Thank you, so much, you two. It truly does mean a lot to hear those things.

Sadie, your prompts rock! Itís nice not to know what to expect. :) I really enjoy playing with them, and Iím so glad to hear that you enjoy the reads. Thatís neat! Iíve another story in mid-edit now, it will be going up as soon as I can!

Michy! First, props for spelling segue correctly; not that you wouldnít, but Iíve seen segway more times than I care to count. :D

Second, thank you. Your words are awesome. Itís true, Iím not always happy. Most of the time, but not 100% of the time, of course. No one is. Iím always strong, though, and thatís something I canít help. Itís not something I decide, but rather like you said: Thereís no choice in the matter. Iím not a dog that limps for very long. I like to run.

Your story about your son reminded me of my childhood. I never understood my parents getting stressed out and yelling and screaming and crying because someone lost a job or because money was tight or any of that. To me, it was quite logical: Had they yelled and shouted before? Yep. Had everything been okay in the end? Of course! So, why wouldnít they think it would be okay this time? I mean, Iím like seven years old wondering this.

Anyway, theyíd ask me why I was so Ďhappy go luckyí Ė they really did! I never had much of an answer other than, ďBecause itís all going to be okay.Ē They didnít understand that any more than I understood them stressing bills yet again, but itís all I had. That was me.

I guess most of it is because Iíve known, for sure, for a very long time, that money wasnít my goal. Well, big money, that is. Iím not a rat-race type guy, or a yes man. Iím the furthest from them you can get, in fact. I donít care about raises and company parties and cross-training and Ďmoving upí. That just isnít me.

Iíve known thereís something deeper, here, since I can remember. Thereís a thread, a common thread, that weaves us all to everything, and then back to each other. I donít know why others canít see or feel it, but it isnít opinion; that thread exists. I just canít prove it.

And if there is something deeper, something meaningful, something truly important here in this life, then the last thing Iím going to trouble myself with is getting an extra dollar an hour by kissing someoneís ass in a job I cannot stand.

I leave that for others, I really do. I canít do it. I wonít do it. That is a fake way of life and itís full of fake goals and fake promises and white lies and stress. Who wants any of that?

Anyhow, sorry for the mini rant. *lol*

Thanks so much, guys, for reading my blog post. Iím lucky to be among such awesome people here. :)

Pages:  1    3  ..  18

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies