Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  11
Author: Subject: It's Raining Good Things
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 6/12/2012 at 08:03 PM
It's Raining Good Things

Just lots of good things happening lately; I'm a little overwhelmed by it all: won a publisher novel contest for my latest YA, offering pub and an advance. Of course I had to tell my agent; it was a fluke sub on my part.

My new werewolf thriller should break any day now. I have yet to see the artwork, but everything is finished and ready to hit the online stores.

Have a R & R from a publisher as a result of an agent sub, so this one is very important, and I'm waiting for the re-write outline. Funny thing is, my MFC and the acquiring editor are both paraplegic, so this book could really benefit from some personal insight and authenticity. It's my adult thriller, and I'd thought this book had gone its course on the agent sub train.

I put in my app to become a team writer on a 12 to 18-volume SFF series, and this is very close to a book packaging deal but only for multiple books, and the pay is mid-line to good. Still waiting on the app request.

I'm promoting my latest SF release and becoming more and more proud of its rank and sales--it went from dead stop to flank speed, and now is leveling out in a nice and steady sales wise performance. I expect the second prequel tie-in short story to appear on Amazon any day now, the artwork and formatting is finished.

I'm really hankering to write some new words on something but haven't decided yet. It could be a SF sequel, more short tie-ins, or a sequel to the prize winning YA story. This will all be determined in the next three weeks or so. I expect I will be tied up in the revision for the thriller, and that alone will keep me at the desk.

ETA: Can't believe my blog is doing this well. It's fairly new but I expect the page views to eclipse (in four months) my stupid little website, and the website has been up for six years. I can't figure out why I hadn't started a blog in the first place.

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is…
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson
flyingbird65
Founding Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6/12/2012 at 08:16 PM

Congrats on your successes. Keep going

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 6/12/2012 at 08:22 PM

Thanks, flyingbird. I feel like your sig line, even after just waking up.

chris

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 6/12/2012 at 08:32 PM

Chris, it sounds like you're well on the right track. Yes, blogging has opened so many doors for me as well, not the least of which is having an outlet for personal venting sometimes, where I feel like at least someone might listen and I'm not just screaming at the walls.

You're successes are awesome. Keep the good momentum going!

Definitely share with us where to find your work too.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 6/12/2012 at 08:59 PM

Thanks, Michy,

I love this little writing site. Can't figure how I missed it in the past seven years.

Yeah, I have a lot of juggling and decisions to make right now and it's wearing on me, but in a good way. My agent and I are actually stalling the award-giving publisher because I came to find out that agent wants to give it a quick read and probably send it out to the majors. I had thought she read it months ago and put it on the back burner, allowing my other three books sub time. She says this is special circumstances and she's not afraid to have four books out there at the same time--luckily they're all different genres and categories.

I'm new to the blog scene, and feel like you about letting it all hang out--frustrations and all. My blog will eclipse in page views and comments in four months, compared to what my stupid little website has accomplished is six years.

chris

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6/13/2012 at 08:01 AM

Congrats on your sucesses. Things like that inspire us all, and lord knows I need some inspiration these days!

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 6/13/2012 at 09:18 AM

Welcome and congratulations! Sounds like things are all right on tack. :)

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 6/13/2012 at 09:39 AM

Thanks, from the both of you.

Nancy, if I can encourage in any way, I'm here for you. Don't let the processes of this business get you down and out. We all rebound, and sometimes good news is just right around the corner.

chris

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 6/30/2012 at 12:02 PM

The werewolf thriller, The Wolfen Strain, has just hit the market. Not up on Amazon yet, but you know how they can take their sweet time in getting it posted. I'm not really in love with the cover--it's large, in charge and really in your face. They didn't even query my opinion on it--just slapped it together. It just might appeal to the younger crowd, or somebody that thinks, "Oh, pretty eyes?" Anyway, I'll save myself the embarrassment of hogging up pixels with it here and link to some of the sites where it can be perused and/or (God willing) purchased.

Dorothy Dreyer's interview at We Do Write:

http://we-do-write.blogspot.com/2012/06/author-update-chris-stevens...

My blog post on it:

http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/2012/06/wolfen-strai...

BookStrand:

http://www.bookstrand.com/the-wolfen-strain

My Publisher:

http://lachesispublishing.com/proddetail.asp?prod=TheWolfenStrain

ETA: Okay, it landed on Amazon and began getting some traction:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wolfen-Strain-ebook/dp/B008G0PE2U/ref=sr_...

ETA #2: Just got Journey Interrupted up on Amazon. It's a prequel short story to the original Plane Janitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Janitor-Journey-Interrupted-ebook/dp/B...

Phew! That is all....
Chris

[Edited on 7/7/2012 by chrisstevenson]

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 6/30/2012 at 12:35 PM

Hey, that sounds like one helluva groovy tale.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Michy

[*] posted on 6/30/2012 at 01:15 PM

I used to edit for Lachesis.

Can I ask a blunt question? Did your agent place you with them or was this a direct submission?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 6/30/2012 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Michy  
I used to edit for Lachesis.

Can I ask a blunt question? Did your agent place you with them or was this a direct submission?

Wow. What a small world. You've might have been there when I was but a weed-hopper in their slush pile.

Lachesis had their breakup problems awhile ago--lost some damn fine talent. But I came into their life way before that. My submission, then contract offer, to them was after my second agent exhausted all subs to the majors. So I sold it myself. Problems occured. They let me lapse, breached contract, lost an editor on me, pushed my production back, no arcs, no pre-orders, yada, yada, yada.

In all fairness, they didn't start out that way at all. They had a good name, still do, I guess. I'm the faithful type that hangs on and weathers the storm.

Ironically, I just hit #1 for Thriller and #2 for Horror at BookStrand. But you know, it all falls on the author. Without us, publishers are nothing.

chris

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
Michy

[*] posted on 6/30/2012 at 01:42 PM

No, I wasn't faulting you for being with Lachesis... but more wondering why you'd pay an agent to place you with them, because I don't think they have ever published an agented book.

BUT... I got with Lachesis because I had edited for LBF, with one particular author, and then the lady who owned Lachesis bought LBF... well, I didn't get paid my royalties, by LBF or Lachesis, but when I contacted them, discovered they had been bought out, the new owner, the ones who run Lachesis, were very agreeable. They paid me the royalties that they felt they were responsible for... I wish I could have gotten the royalties from before that, when LBF should have been paying me, but I guess that's not really their fault... still sucks.

Anyway, I edited a couple of books for them, but mostly, I stopped editing for all small presses that next year. There's just no money in it for editors. They don't pay them anything in advance, and only pay them percentages... I have one book I edited for LBF that has netted me a whopping 64 bucks over the course of four years... I will NOT do that again.

So I started working only for upfront payment, and they refused to pay upfront, so I moved on to smoother waters...

Anyway, I was reading your blurb when I noticed it was them, and thought it was interesting. Did you write the blurb or did they do that too? The cover looks all right. It's not what I would have done, but you know... it's not awful. I don't like the second paragraph of the blurb though. It's not punctuated properly and there are a couple of grammatically problems with the blurb too... that just bugged me. But I'm sure I'm only being nitpicky. I edited my son today when he was griping at me, so it's just kinda where I'm at today....lol

Love and stuff,
Michy

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 6/30/2012 at 02:41 PM

No, they actually did the blurb too. And really, I feel like you do about it--meh. I would have rather the blurb come from my hand. I dunno, just something off with them that I've never experienced with other small presses.

And good for you about taking leave of editing for the little guys who are in it for the % only. It just doesn't pay you what your worth--too much time and effort. You should charge per project or by the page.

chris

Now my curiosity is up--gonna check out that blurb more closely.

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
Michy

[*] posted on 7/2/2012 at 12:24 PM

It's not horrible or anything... the dashes are wrong...

Mostly, it's just that I prefer to work directly with the author. With Lachesis, I worked with another editor, not the author, and so frequently, I wasn't sure if my suggestions even made it to the author or were actually incorporated, but then my name was put on the book. Guess I like more control over what my name goes on.

Love and stuff,
Michy

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 7/2/2012 at 12:28 PM

Yep, I think the dashes are misplaced, misused or not even necessary.

I was surprised that they didn't consult me on the cover. First time that's ever happened.

chris

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 8/4/2012 at 10:11 AM

More good things:

FIRST AND FOREMOST, A GREAT BIG THANKS AND APPRECIATION TO FARAH EVERS WHO CRAFTED THE COVER FOR THIS BOOK. SHE IS DULY ACCREDITED WITH ITS DESIGN AND CONCEPT. I SING HER PRAISES, ALONG WITH THE WONDERFUL FRIENDSHIP I'VE RECEIVED HERE AT ACCENTUATE WRITERS FORUM.

Welcome to The War Gate, a paranormal romance/thriller that will leave you breathless from it's scope and pace. It's now available on Amazon for the reduced price of $2.99. Enjoy the extended three-chapter sample now.

http://www.amazon.com/The-War-Gate-ebook/dp/B008SDVEQU/ref=sr_1_5?s...

“This was a solidly written tale with a trace of fantasy and complex thought used in defining the concept of leaping from one time gate to the next—excellent job of structuring.”
Terrie G, Bitten by Books, 4 out of 5.

“The War Gate is a captivating book. Mystery, magic and the paranormal blend together in a perfect mix. I would thoroughly recommend this book to fantasy enthusiasts who also like romance.
Orcid, Aurora Reviews, 5 out of 5.

When the reincarnated Avy Labrador is kicked out of her stepfather’s house on her 18th birthday, she has no idea that the man who raised her framed her mother to cover his murder so he could acquire a major software empire. Now, years later, with the help of her magician boyfriend, Sebastian, Avy is about to discover that her birth was otherworldly and for a purpose. The ancient Roman God Janus was so appalled by the heinous murder of Tom Labrador by his brother Drake that he opened up a War Gate. Avy has received half of her mother’s soul light and half of a God’s essence. Her mission is to put the real killer behind bars. The only catch: she must learn to “Gate-Walk”, that’s time traveling to the layman. She soon finds out that she is a drunk driver on the space/time continuum super highway.

War Gate Author's Note: The antagonist character, Wax Man, is not for the squeamish. I warn you ahead of time that he is the most disgusting, vile creature/human you're ever likely to read about. You will literally smell him off the page. Not for younger readers under 13.

[Edited on 8/4/2012 by chrisstevenson]

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 8/4/2012 at 10:56 AM

That cover really, really pops. She knows how to make them stand out in the sea of other covers, doesn’t she?

I picked up a copy but it’ll be a little while before I get to it. I have to read other stuff for reviews and all that in the meantime.

Congrats on going this route, and with such a handsome looking book! :)

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 8/4/2012 at 12:13 PM

Thank, skwerly. I have no doubt that the cover change is going to breathe new life back into it. It portrays an inter-dimentionality to it.

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
Michy

[*] posted on 8/4/2012 at 12:16 PM

Yeah, I sing her praises too.... I just got a review on my Dream Walking, which is actually up for a cover art award, because the person was drawn in by the cover Farah Designed. She said the cover alone sold her on the book--fortunately, once inside, she loved it too... I'm grateful for that! But what a fantastic testament to her cover work. This cover is up for an Ariana award for ebook cover excellence. I hope she wins!

I loved the cover she made for your book, Chris. I have this one on my Kindle Fire, in queue to read... just have a few in front of it for my review site. I AM looking forward to it!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Pages:  1    3  ..  11

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies