Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about specific submission guidelines
Cyndee
Literary Master

Mood: Glittery, but maybe that's from paint fumes.

question.gif posted on 6/13/2012 at 09:14 PM
Question about specific submission guidelines

I've been checking into some new places to submit my work. Most guidelines are pretty straight forward, and then there are others that I am trying to figure out if I qualify.

This one in particular states-

*Our editors work almost exclusively with experienced writers who have clips from major national magazines. As a result, we accept unsolicited manuscripts only from writers with such credentials. There are no exceptions.

If you do have significant national writing experience, and you have an idea or manuscript that you think might interest us, email us, and please include some of your most recent clips.*

Okay, on the surface I'm thinking I don't qualify, but I'm wondering if there are things in my resume that I may be discounting too soon. Yes, I write for Yahoo, but I'm not thinking that would be considered. I have written well over 1000 articles for DS. Many of those were were published on ehow, but they also published some on Garden Guides, Overstock.com and National Geographic. Online, not print. Craft Bits and Thrifty Fun have a large readership, but they are also online and I don't know if they could be considered "national writing experience", or "national magazines".

I have been published in national craft magazines (in print), but that was years ago. Quite frankly, submitting and getting paid from online sites is way simpler. At least it used to be. Anyway, those print mags are no longer in operation so other than scanning the articles, I don't know that I could prove it. That was also early work. I think my stuff now is much better.

...also a newsletter for House of White Birches and two Christmas books for Country Woman.

There's other stuff too, and although I don't think they would hurt, I don't think they fit the specifics.

So, I guess what I am asking is, with the limited info I have provided here, do you think any of it would pass their strict guideline?

http://restyledjunk.com/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/107800/cyndee_kromminga.html
http://www.bukisa.com/people/Cyndee
http://www.brighthub.com/members/cyndee.aspx
Fight World Hunger
"The waist is a terrible thing to mind."
-Winnie the Pooh
"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it."
-Winnie the Pooh
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 6/13/2012 at 09:44 PM

You should use your old print credits. It doesn't matter how long ago - use them. Then use the final place your work was bylined - if that was National Geographic, you don't have to tell anyone that you got it there through DS. They are a broker - the final decision to use it was still with the editors at the byline location. It's a real, national credit.

Use it.

I've been published at tons of place in print that wen through some type of broker too. I published a $300 article in a gardening magazine through Helium's Marketplace, of all things. I don't say I was published with Helium -- heavens no -- I was published by the gardening magazine, and it's absolutely on my clips. If you look at my article in that magazine, there's nothing in it that says I was any different than any other author in that magazine. Besides the staff authors, who knows? Maybe all the articles came to them that way. The editors at the byline location are still the ones who decide it's good enough -- and that's what counts.

Also, more and more writers are having only online credits these days with more and more magazines and publications doing away with or cutting back on their print publications due to financial issues. Don't sweat that.

I think you absolutely would qualify for this.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 6/13/2012 at 09:45 PM

I would say no. They are pretty specific about it having to be print magazines and major ones. I think you would just tick off the editor. sorry

Michy

[*] posted on 6/13/2012 at 09:52 PM

Pardon my typos... I haven't slept in two days--quite literally--and it's showing. I'm too exhausted to fix them, but hope the point gets across. It's been a bad, bad, bad day for Michy

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Michy

[*] posted on 6/13/2012 at 10:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by itzrissa2u  
I would say no. They are pretty specific about it having to be print magazines and major ones. I think you would just tick off the editor. sorry

See, my Ninja warrior, I disagree - I say do it. Remember my blog post about 'too stupid to know better'? Well, National Geographic is a big national publication - they have a website and a magazine, and I've seen bylines for national columnists who are only on the website - that credit counts. If she's on the website, I say use it. Along with her older print credits (which she doesn't HAVE to say what the dates were, only what the publications were), she's got enough to get past the guards.

If the guards later see the credits and say they aren't good enough--not a major harm or foul, worst they can do is not answer or say no. But if she sends the clips, the query and the article, and they like it, then see some clips and credits that might not be exact but are plausibly close... they just might accept it if they like it.

It's about confidence and taking a chance. I still think the worst they can say is no, but if you don't send it at all, they can't even get a chance to reject. Go into it not caring what happens 'cause you're not sure it'll be accepted anyway, and the rejection won't hurt -- but just imagine if they actually say yes?

I say I'd go for it!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Cyndee
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/13/2012 at 10:06 PM

Thank you! One more or a couple questions. Should I scan the articles in the magazines and send as attachments? And should I provide links to the articles with National Geographic? What about the Country Woman Christmas books? Should I scan those articles too? The House of White Birches Newsletter?

Fight World Hunger
-Winnie the Pooh
"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it."
-Winnie the Pooh
C.Lee
Master Writer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6/14/2012 at 08:22 AM

Nat geo? Who wouldn't want to consider an author who published with Nat Geo before, even if it's only on their website. Even major print magazines have much lower quality articles compared to Nat Geo. Go for it, Cyndee! :D

Cyndee
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/14/2012 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cyndee  
Thank you! One more or a couple questions. Should I scan the articles in the magazines and send as attachments? And should I provide links to the articles with National Geographic? What about the Country Woman Christmas books? Should I scan those articles too? The House of White Birches Newsletter?

Would you also send the same submission to multiple magazines at the same time?

Fight World Hunger
-Winnie the Pooh
-Winnie the Pooh
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 6/14/2012 at 10:31 AM

I think those older print articles are very significant, even if they have disappeared from the landscape. Of course, Nat Geo is a fine credit and I would use it. Yes, you can scan and send as an attachment. Your other credits seem relative, as well, and certainly add (don't distract) from your writing resume. At the very least, they would be considered filler credits.

I have about 1,500 articles with DMS, Examiner and a few others. I don't know how legit they are as far as a national publication. I think you have enough "slicks" to compensate.

chris

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is…
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson
itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 6/14/2012 at 03:34 PM

[/ rquote]

See, my Ninja warrior, I disagree - I say do it.
[/ rquote]

You know Cyndee, who you gonna listen to- the writer with several successful years of freelance writing, published books, a popular writing board and a publishing company who has mentored hundreds of writers?

or the one who attempted to freelance, hated it, baled and hasn't written anything in about 6 months?

:duh:

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 6/14/2012 at 07:48 PM

I'd go for it. Absolutely.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6/14/2012 at 09:42 PM

Cyndee, have you heard anything more about the Lowe's job yet?

Michy

[*] posted on 6/15/2012 at 01:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by itzrissa2u  
[/ rquote]

See, my Ninja warrior, I disagree - I say do it.
[/ rquote]

You know Cyndee, who you gonna listen to- the writer with several successful years of freelance writing, published books, a popular writing board and a publishing company who has mentored hundreds of writers?

or the one who attempted to freelance, hated it, baled and hasn't written anything in about 6 months?

:duh:

Hey, you've sort of been busy, I dunno, staying alive or something.

I haven't written freelance stuff in a long time myself... I just don't have the passion or the attention span to do it any more. I want to write fiction.

Love and stuff,
Michy

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 6/15/2012 at 09:37 AM

"I haven't written freelance stuff in a long time myself... I just don't have the passion or the attention span to do it any more. I want to write fiction."

This times 1000. Wrote so much of it I suffered burnout. But trying to make my fiction pay off is getting just as difficult.

chris

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is…
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 6/15/2012 at 09:56 AM

Haha, I sort of wrote, ‘Do you want me to start on one of the other projects?’ to my editor at the gun place and he sort of never replied kinda, so I may have just sort of let that sit for a while.

I like fiction, dammit.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies