Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best & Worst Rejections
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 6/19/2012 at 10:15 AM
Best & Worst Rejections

Okay, whether it was on a content site like Y!CN or a submission for a novel or magazine article or whatever type of writing you've submitted your work to, share with us, if you will, both your worst and your best rejection letter experiences!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 6/19/2012 at 10:20 AM

Best rejection: Thank you so much for submitting this piece to Futuredaze. While we thought "The Perfect Day" was very well-written, overall it’s not quite what we’re after for this anthology. We wish you the best of luck placing this piece elsewhere, and thanks again for sending it our way. If you have another young adult/science fiction piece you'd like us to consider, we would be more than happy to take a look.

Worst? Who knows...probably from YCN. I had one where they rejected my submitted content and then mirrored my topic in a call for content a week later.

Michy

[*] posted on 6/19/2012 at 10:20 AM

My best & worst rejection letter is the same one, actually. It was a rejection from an agent who told me very specifically that she admired my technique and my use of language, that my writing was well-structured, that she loved the story, thought my characters were well-drawn and deep, and she couldn't put the manuscript down... her exact words, "I really admire your skill as a writer..."

And then the crushing words:

"...but I'm so sorry I can't take this project on. I simply wouldn't know how or who to market this to, because it has no clear genre. Best of luck in placing this with someone who can do it more justice than I believe I can."

Okay - I have to say, at least she's honest, right? But man, that hurts. Sometimes, you don't want to know just how close you came, you know?

I do have another bad rejection though... I had submitted one story to a Chicken Soup for the Soul book, and made it through the first round, was sent a contract, signed it, filled it out, sent them my tax information, everything... then, one day, I saw the book up on Amazon.com. I hadn't been told anything about it, so I go and flip through the 'Look Inside' and read the TOCs and realize my story wasn't in it. So I emailed the contact who said, "Oh, sorry... we sent the notes out on Jan 13th, letting you know..."

It was my birthday, January 13th... four months later, the book is up on Amazon.com, and I'm not in it, because somehow, I didn't get the email. That's when I changed how I do my submissions - instead of all of them coming into the same email that my 1000s of daily emails come into (no 1000s is not exaggerating. I easily get 500-1000 emails per day, every day... it's insane), the submissions emails are now used ONLY for submissions and they come into their own folder and Outlook database file.

So tell me your best and worst rejections?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 6/19/2012 at 10:38 AM

I think my best one was my first one, which to this very day is pinned on the wall in front of me. It was from the Threepenny Review, on an actual card.

“Thank you for sending us your work, but I’m afraind we can’t use it in The Threepenny Review at present.”

-Editor

The worst? Hmm, I dunno! If articles count, it’d definitely be one from DS. The last one I received, in fact, was the worst. Ugh...

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6/19/2012 at 12:44 PM

Best, probably my contract offer from The Wild Rose Press since it was my first.

Worst, there was a content site I tried writing for and I wrote a humor article about "Male Pattern Blindness". All of the words and content was original but they threatened to ban me for plagiarism and then wouldn't provide an explanation as to where they thought I'd plagiarized from. I eventually decided that they must have meant the term itself since it's not something I originated.

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 6/24/2012 at 08:14 PM

My best was from Bell Books, Debra Dixon, who said that my voice just popped off the page and it kept her glued to the end. she passed it around and they himmed and hawed over it's viability, until deciding that it had to many genre mash-ups. But they said in the end, "I know we're going to regret passing on this! I would be interested in seeing any future work of yours, genre specific, of course."

Worst one: "This is done very well, scientifically accurate and very interesting, although it should have been done by someone with credentials and a platform which, unfortunately, is not you.

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is…
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson
Michy

[*] posted on 6/24/2012 at 08:30 PM

ouch...

Love and stuff,
Michy

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 6/24/2012 at 08:45 PM

LOL! I was going to post that exact same thing.

Damn. That's rough.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 6/24/2012 at 09:04 PM

It just goes to show you that a journalist and amateur fossil hunger does not qualify on writing a book about a paleontological discovery of ice age mammals in his own home city. Passion and love for the subject blinded my objectivity and realization. That was the biggest ouch/hurt.

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is…
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies