Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Novella-length works Vs. Short Stories Vs. Novels
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 10/8/2012 at 01:38 PM
Novella-length works Vs. Short Stories Vs. Novels

Got two new reviews on Fated Family over the weekend--really interesting to read other people's perspectives on your work. The novella length is an entirely different animal for most people who are used to short stories and novels. Novellas gives just enough background and character development to get you hooked, but due to the length, some details get left out. It's interesting to see people commenting that certain things that aren't really relevant to the intent of the story were something they noticed were missing. I'm fascinated by this, because as I wrote the story, I recall talking about what I should or shouldn't leave out to accommodate length.

Anyway, it's an interesting length for writing and reading in--I'm really sort of hooked on it. What do you guys think of the novella length? Have you ever written a novella? They seem to do pretty good in the Amazon Singles (which are novella length works that are often by major writers--I've submitted twice to the Singles program, CELESTE was denied and FATED FAMILY is pending--wish me luck!)

So anyway, let's talk about novella length works--both writing and reading: What do you think of them and why?

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 10/10/2012 at 11:11 AM

I've grown quite fond of novella writing. I'm working on three right now. :lol:

I often have issues shoving everything important to a story into a short story, and I can't write novels all the time. I'd never get anything done. I think novellas are almost more marketable these days because people want quicker reads with less commitment involved.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
Michy

[*] posted on 10/10/2012 at 12:20 PM

That's pretty much exactly where I'm at too--I will never give up my novels, but the novella is really growing on me.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Theresa
Literary Master

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 10/10/2012 at 12:29 PM

Could you please enlighten me as to the approx. word count of novellas? I'm still not getting through all these categories :lol:

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 10/10/2012 at 12:35 PM

I don't know official definitions, but 20-50k seems like novella to me. 50k can be a novel, but it's a pretty short novel.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
Michy

[*] posted on 10/10/2012 at 12:39 PM

Amazon is accepting Kindle Singles at 5000-30,000 words.

Generally speaking, 5k is a short story, but anything over that but under about 50k is novella length. 50k is basically considered a short book and in some genres, if considered a complete book. A lot of light chick lit falls into the 50k range.

So rough estimate, 5-50k is good for novella, with it being more in the middle of that range than the fringe of it.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 10/10/2012 at 02:52 PM

I'm going this route with Gamble. :)

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Theresa
Literary Master

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 10/10/2012 at 06:21 PM

Great, thanks :) So I was right that my YA fantasy/mystery series is novella-length :lol: They're in the range of 15k - 20k words each.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies