Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another KDP Success!
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 10/31/2012 at 10:23 AM
Another KDP Success!

From the Kindle author newsletter this month:

Secret of Author’s Success is No Mystery
A.K. Alexander wanted to be a writer since she was nine years old. Drawn to Nancy Drew, The Black Stallion, and anything else mystery- or horse-related, she dreamed one day she’d be a published author, but she had yet to take the leap. Then, at 22, A.K. found she needed to stay at home to care for her prematurely-born son full-time. “I decided then that it was time to start writing.”

“In the years following my son’s birth, I went through a divorce, a bankruptcy, and became a single parent, writing all the while. Then I remarried and had a little girl in 2000. My husband, my parents, and my kids were very supportive of my dream, but I couldn’t get a break as a writer. I received over two hundred rejection letters from literary agents during those years.

“My son (then nine years old) asked me why I was crying one afternoon in the kitchen, as I read over another rejection letter that simply said, ‘Sorry. It just isn’t right for us.’ I told him that I didn’t think I could keep writing. He said to me, ‘Don’t you know, Mom, that God wouldn’t have made you a writer if He thought you couldn’t do it?’ How do you give up after that? I didn’t.

“Then, in 2004, I got picked up by a literary agent who got me a deal for three books in a mystery series and received a four-figure advance. But it turned out to be far from the career-making moment I thought that would be. After publishing nine books for them, all while taking out a second mortgage and flirting with bankruptcy, I was dropped in 2009.

“Just then I started hearing about Amazon and publishing on the Kindle. I heard it was open to anyone, and I thought that maybe I should try it. I used their self-service platform to publish three thrillers, and sold a handful each month for a while. Then, in the summer of 2011, my thriller Daddy’s Home suddenly shot to No. 1 on the U.K. Kindle bestseller list. My thriller Mommy, May I? went to the Top Ten list at the same time.

“I was ecstatic, and started writing and writing. Success in the US followed, and by March of 2012, Daddy’s Home hit No. 4 on the U.S. Kindle bestseller list, just underneath the Hunger Games trilogy. I am now also seeing sales in Germany, France, Italy and Spain, and the producers of Mad Men are representing the film rights for the book. In total I have sold over 300,000 copies of my books through the Kindle.

“Because of this, my family’s life has changed dramatically. In one month I make more in royalty payments at Amazon than I ever did in a year through traditional publishing. I am no longer worried about how the bills will get paid. I am not lying awake at night beating myself up for wanting to pursue a dream that appears to be a dead end. We can help support our kids through school. My husband and I are planning to take a vacation together.

“The wonderful thing for talented writers now is they don’t have to wait twenty years to succeed. I have friends who are publishing through the Kindle with first and second books and they are shooting up the rankings. Writers don’t have to go through the hardship of writing hundreds of query letters and hoping to be chosen by agents and publishers.

“I don’t envision an end to what I can do as an author with Amazon.”

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/31/2012 at 10:24 AM

Now, keep in mind, that even at three bucks a pop, 300,000 sales is knocking on a million dollar's door. At five bucks, well... you get the idea.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 10/31/2012 at 04:52 PM

Derek, I'm not so good with math, but at 70%, minus the whispernet fees and before taxes, we're still only looking at half a mill, and then there's taxes on that.... and if any of those were freebies or sold below 2.99, then they went only for 35%, so no, not knocking on a million's door, but still a very respectable and comfortable lifestyle for a writer.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 10/31/2012 at 05:16 PM

At my crit group meeting last night, one of the writers said he met with another author who has Samhain as a publisher. Her and several other of their authors are actively trying to get their contracts cancelled so they can self publish. They said they don't get any support from the publisher for promotion, have no control over pricing and can't even get their sales numbers like KDP authors can. I've heard that can be the case for most first time authors with other publishing houses.

Interesting to learn.

Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10/31/2012 at 08:20 PM

Good point on the 70% and all that. STILL, it's better than bagging groceries or digging ditches.

Rissa, it's exciting to see more and more viable authors going this route.

Checks and balances, yeah?

Thomas Forthe (Tom)
Literary Master

Mood: persnickative

[*] posted on 11/1/2012 at 07:03 PM

After wasting a lifetime in construction... my most prolific year missed the 50k mark by a couple of k. I could live with the results she is getting.
I can only wonder what it would feel like to have that much green staring back at me from a bank account. :)

"Two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Check out my published content!

Michy

[*] posted on 11/1/2012 at 07:09 PM

I know I certainly wouldn't complain about it right now!

(waving) Hi, Tom! I've missed you! Are you writing?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Thomas Forthe (Tom)
Literary Master

[*] posted on 11/1/2012 at 07:22 PM

I have some ideas to work on.
And it is good to be back, but exorcising Facebook is a lot harder than I thought it would be... except the attitudes and candidates cult following. Those I will never miss.:)

"Two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Michy

[*] posted on 11/1/2012 at 07:26 PM

Can't blame ya there! You're always welcome here, with openest arms! I want to see you finish a novel and get successful! You can do that!

Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Thomas Forthe (Tom)
Literary Master

[*] posted on 11/1/2012 at 07:30 PM

Me and deadlines don't speak civily anymore, or maybe not at all. :) Some days are diamonds and others are coal dust crushed under an Abhrams tank on a battlefield....

Albert Einstein

Michy

[*] posted on 11/1/2012 at 07:39 PM

Ahhh, I get it, and I don't blame you--work at your pace, whatever works for ya. But you're definitely doing fine on the metaphors and analogies bit!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Thomas Forthe (Tom)
Literary Master

[*] posted on 11/1/2012 at 07:40 PM

Lol. I do try.

Albert Einstein

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies