Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Y!CN/AC Ends Featured Contributor Program
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 11/27/2012 at 04:51 PM
Y!CN/AC Ends Featured Contributor Program

The Yahoo! Contributor Network has sent you the following message:

Dear Featured Contributor,

We are writing today to share with you a difficult but necessary business decision. 2012 will be the last year of our Featured Contributor Program.

Your involvement in this program is deeply appreciated. Your dedication, knowledge, experience, and unique voice made you a Featured Contributor and will continue to make your Yahoo! content invaluable to thousands of readers around the world. As a Featured Contributor Program alumnus, you will always stand out as one of the most knowledgeable, highest-quality publishers in our community.

As you know, Web content publishing is a rapidly changing industry. In order to remain strong and relevant in this continuously shifting world, publishing platforms' internal strategies must change, too. Although the Featured Contributor Program was enormously successful in the past, it no longer presents a viable editorial direction for Yahoo! Contributor Network. Sunsetting this program will clear a path for a forward-looking editorial strategy, which you'll see more of in early 2013.

Your assignment opportunities through the Featured Contributor Program will remain unchanged through December 2012. However, starting in January 2013, you will no longer receive Featured Contributor assignments. Please review the Featured Contributor Program Sunset FAQ (https://contributor.yahoo.com/help/popup/?help_id=1040) for answers to other questions related to this transition. Please contact us (http://contributor.yahoo.com/company/contact/) with any questions not answered in the above FAQ.

Once again, thank you very much for your participation in this program. You are among a small, elite group of Web publishers who qualified for this opportunity. That's an achievement you can be proud of now and in the future. We hope to earn the opportunity to continue publishing your best content in 2013 and beyond.

Sincerely,
Yahoo! Contributor Network

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
twnkltoz
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11/27/2012 at 05:41 PM

Wow. I saw a post on facebook that they were stopping the page view bonus, but I haven't had time to investigate...is that true, too?

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 11/27/2012 at 06:19 PM

I haven't heard anything about that. Where'd you hear it on Facebook? Was it a passing rumor thing or in one of the groups?

They have said before they would not stop that program, and I'm sure if they were going to, it would be all over the AC forums too.... so I don't think that's true, but you never know.

I am a little sad about the FC program going away--I pretty much only still wrote there JUST for the FC on alternative nutritional medicine. Without that, I'm not sure I will write for AC much at all.. (shrug)

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
opher
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/27/2012 at 07:31 PM

I saw that too on the Y!CN forum. Pretty much to be expected. The question is this, how can Y!CN overcome the enormous advantage that sites like eHow gain due to the apparent favoritism played by Google search algorithms for Google-owned domains?

twnkltoz
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11/28/2012 at 03:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Michy  
I haven't heard anything about that. Where'd you hear it on Facebook? Was it a passing rumor thing or in one of the groups?

They have said before they would not stop that program, and I'm sure if they were going to, it would be all over the AC forums too.... so I don't think that's true, but you never know.

I am a little sad about the FC program going away--I pretty much only still wrote there JUST for the FC on alternative nutritional medicine. Without that, I'm not sure I will write for AC much at all.. (shrug)

It was just someone posting about it on their status with no real backup.

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 11/28/2012 at 01:12 PM

Pinching pennies is going to lose the good writers.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Jesse Sears
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Workin'

[*] posted on 11/29/2012 at 01:35 AM

I'm not so concerned with the few extra dollars per month. However, writing my monthly $15 automotive feature and the occasional $8 beat is the only thing that kept me going with Y!CN.

I've been hearing people say they give like $2 these days for an open submission? Pageviews would need to be better for that to be worth my time.

On that note, PVs are up. I am up approximately 45% week over week since Aug. 1 when the graph drops off. I'm not counting the spikes from content I had featured on the Yahoo! Voices Automotive landing page, just plain ol' traffic. During that span I've published just 6 articles, and none are huge hits or anything. I am seeing slowly increasing traffic on anything that has ever had any Google juice, and some years-old pieces starting to earn that never have before.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies