Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best-Seller?
moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 10:20 AM
Best-Seller?

Can anyone tell me what the rules are, if they exist, about calling your book a best-seller?

I have lately seen a lot of people online claiming to "best-selling" authors and it seems a lot like that term means absolutely nothing.

Anyway, I wondered.

melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 10:32 AM

I think words that come before or after it make a difference. For instance, I give more credance to "NY Times Best Seller" than I do to "Amazon's Pygmy Marmasat Reference Manuals Best Seller list"

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email:ámelissasnark@gmail.com
twitter:á@MelissaSnark

My website:áMelissa Snark author site

My blog:áThe Snarkology

moonshadow68

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by melinda  
I think words that come before or after it make a difference. For instance, I give more credance to "NY Times Best Seller" than I do to "Amazon's Pygmy Marmasat Reference Manuals Best Seller list"

Okay, that almost made me spit cottage cheese all over my computer.

What I normally hear, usually from indie publishers, is best-selling with no other modifiers. My friend who was a USA Today Bestseller, that I respect. The generic best-selling seems like it's skirting the edge of false advertising.

melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 11:29 AM

oops, sorry. :-)

I watch a lot of Dora the Explorer. :-D

I'm not sure it's false advertising until you make a solid (false) claim. Lots of products are "Amazing", "The Best", etc. It's when you start to make unattainable--"removes any stain, guaranteed"-- or untrue-- "1M copies sold--that you stray into the area of false advertising that can be gone after with a lawsuit.

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email:ámelissasnark@gmail.com
twitter:á@MelissaSnark

My website:áMelissa Snark author site

My blog:áThe Snarkology

moonshadow68

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 11:43 AM

Oh, I'm not thinking lawsuit worthy--just it seems like a false claim and makes me LESS LIKELY to buy the book.

There are certain labels that do that to me. Clal your book a masterpiece and I'm likely to snort in derision. Tell me it's the best thing since sliced bread and I'll tell you I prefer biscuits :)

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 01:19 PM

Generally, people will make their books available on Kindle for free for the 3-day promo that the Kindle publishing provides, and that will pop them up into the 'free' best sellers list, and then they turn around and say they are a best seller--when in reality, they were on the top performers list for free books. EVERYONE who does this I guess can say they are a best seller--doesn't make it true... and yet, doesn't necessarily make it false.

I wish people would use the modifiers, but they won't... leaves ya wondering, "Best seller? Yeah? Where? On mars?".... yeah.

For me, if you ever see best seller in front of my name, it'll be modified with whatever it was--if I'm an Amazon Best Seller, it will say so--but you'll never see me say I'm a best seller because I gave away a free book that made it to the free lists 'best selling' lists--because I didn't SELL anything.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
moonshadow68

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 01:22 PM

Exactly, Michy. I want to know best selling by what standard. I mean I guess technically you could say that your own novel which sold best for you among your other novels was best selling, but it feels....false.

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 04:43 PM

Yep, give me a modifier or caveat...like "According to so and so, my title......................has moved into best-seller status in the genre or category of......etc,.

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer isů
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson
Jenn.W
Literary Master

Mood: Energized!

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 07:10 PM

Because of that.... of everyone calling their books best sellers, I hate doing it. Technically mine is, but I just don't like calling myself the author of a best selling book that is free. :(

The others in the series do well but not like that one.

I agree. Its like everyone and their brother are doing it and it peeves me. Occasionally I take advantage of it, like for my new self publishing vlogs and I was sure to say the online best selling serial novel. And I only did that because it's been downloaded well over 100,000 times. Not everyone knows that though and I don't want to be grouped in with the people that everyone thinks are full of poo. But I agree, when I see this, it makes me actually want to read the book less.

It's just another one of those things that we are going to have to deal with...

sharkbytes
Literary Master

Mood: slow and steady

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 08:15 PM

Yes, that was my actual LOL for the day! I'm the second highest "selling" free short mystery with a woman sleuth on Smashwords! I don't that that gets me too much glitter. :lol:

My Quality Day (blog)
Shark Bytes and Tales (author blog)
Shared Reviews (ask how to sign up under me)
Books Leaving Footprints (book sales)
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 1/16/2013 at 10:37 PM

Sleuth! I just learned that word yesterday, oddly. Neat word.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy

[*] posted on 1/28/2013 at 12:50 AM

Derek, you didn't know what a sleuth was? Really?... You haven't been reading enough, my boy!

Jennifer, I get you--I've even seen authors put fake 'stickers' on their ebook covers that say 'best selling' like they have won an award when it's 1) a freaking ebook so you can't put a 'sticker' on it, and 2) giving it away for free and making a best selling 'free' list isn't an award! I've seen it, though, gold-medal, silver ribbon looking ones, you name it, 'best selling' 'stickers' on books with sales ranks in the 400-600k range when they are 'for sale'.

My serial novel, THREE, has consistently been in the 15k range, and I know it doesn't take very many books sold per day to make that happen... so 600k means they aren't even selling one book per week... how does that warrant best selling?

But believe me, when I hit the NYT list--you will totally see: Michelle Devon, NYT Best Selling Author! LOL Totally.... yup.

THAT is the best sellers list I want to brag about!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
moonshadow68

[*] posted on 1/28/2013 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Michy  

But believe me, when I hit the NYT list--you will totally see: Michelle Devon, NYT Best Selling Author! LOL Totally.... yup.

THAT is the best sellers list I want to brag about!

No doubt! Harlequin had little gold stickers printed up for Kathie to put on her books after she hit the USAToday Best Seller list and she only did it if the person buying the book wanted it. For me, putting a sticker on a book is like defacing it.

Michy

[*] posted on 1/28/2013 at 01:05 PM

Yeah, well--I'd brag about the USA Today list too,I think.... no, I know. I would! That one isn't easy to get on either!

Jennifer, you might not say best seller--but you can totally brag like this: Over 100,000 people have downloaded TVHD, so get your copy today!

That works, it's honest, and it makes an impact! Congrats on those numbers! I've only made it to 7000 copies of Three given away... I aspire to 100k though!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 1/28/2013 at 02:22 PM

Haha, M, I don't think I've read a 'mystery' since the Hardy Boys when I was like nine years old...

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy

[*] posted on 8/26/2013 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jenn.W  
Because of that.... of everyone calling their books best sellers, I hate doing it. Technically mine is, but I just don't like calling myself the author of a best selling book that is free. :(

The others in the series do well but not like that one.

I agree. Its like everyone and their brother are doing it and it peeves me. Occasionally I take advantage of it, like for my new self publishing vlogs and I was sure to say the online best selling serial novel. And I only did that because it's been downloaded well over 100,000 times. Not everyone knows that though and I don't want to be grouped in with the people that everyone thinks are full of poo. But I agree, when I see this, it makes me actually want to read the book less.

It's just another one of those things that we are going to have to deal with...

Actually, I don't know if this had happened before this thread or not, Jennifer, but I was re-reading this thread today and realized, not just the free one that you give away all the time, but several of your serialized ones after that one made it into the top 100 best selling books on Amazon, and that was for paid copies sold. I know part 2 made it there for at least a short time, because I personally saw it there myself and got all giddy happy for you!

So not just the free one, you legitimately can say at least one of yours was an Amazon Best Seller. But I'm kinda with you on the fact that since so many others are doing it the wrong way, not really being best sellers, it makes readers think yours might be the same way. The part really sucks about the indie movement.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 8/26/2013 at 02:39 PM

I might make up some "Best Selling!" stickers.... Except the "Best Selling!" will be in gigantic, shiny gold letters and underneath in tiny print will be, "out of all the books I've written." That way you can have a different best-selling book every month!

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
----------------------------

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies