Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Facebook promote
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2/12/2013 at 09:49 AM
Facebook promote

Can anyone tell me about the 'promote' button on the posts on my author page? Has anybody used it? It looks like it costs $5 or $10. What, exactly, does that do? Send that particular post to all your friends and their friends? So what posts would be worth spending money on? Or not?

Also, when the section came up to 'ask your friends' to like my author's page, not all the names came up. Why? Why can I ask some of my friends and not others? I am 'friends' with several well-known authors, but only one of them came up so I could ask her to like my page. I still get the posts the others put up.

sharkbytes
Literary Master

Mood: slow and steady

[*] posted on 2/12/2013 at 11:01 AM

all good questions- no answers here

My Quality Day (blog)
Shark Bytes and Tales (author blog)
Shared Reviews (ask how to sign up under me)
Books Leaving Footprints (book sales)
LaurieM
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2/12/2013 at 11:27 AM

You have to click on:

Build audience
then invite friends
then recent interactions
then search all friends

Then your whole list shows up.

------------------------------------------------------

Nancy G.
Literary Master

[*] posted on 2/12/2013 at 03:10 PM

Yes, I know, Laurie. I did that. But most of the pics of my friends are 'foggy', that is, not where I can click on them. I don't know what's up with that. Search all friends may have the pics of all my friends, but I could only click on certain ones of them.

moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 2/12/2013 at 04:09 PM

Maybe those are author or fan pages?

LaurieM
Literary Master

[*] posted on 2/12/2013 at 04:21 PM

The ones on mine that are foggy either already got an invite or belong already.

------------------------------------------------------

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 2/14/2013 at 04:46 PM

They are both right, Nancy--if they can't be selected, they either 1) already like your page 2) have blocked your page 3) they are a page themselves, and therefore cannot 'like' your page (only actual accounts/profiles can 'like' pages) 4) they have already been invited and haven't responded.

As for the ones in the suggestions, they put up people they feel, based on their algorithms, will be most likely to want to interact with you. How they get that information, who knows?

As for the promote posts--what it does is this: usually, posts that get comments and likes get bumped back up to the top of the newsfeeds when people have their posts set to 'most recent' activity. If your post isn't getting attention by getting comments or likes, it will eventually move further and further down on the feeds of your friends, until the new posts overtake it and it's not on the feed any longer.

With 'pages', Facebook only allows posts to go to the newsfeeds of people who haven't specifically requested your feeds in their newsfeed (just liking a page doesn't do that), to go to about 15% of the audience of the page. This is to prevent spam in the newsfeed, so they say--it's not the real reason, but it's what they say. So when you pay to promote the post, facebook will ask you demographic information as to who you want the post targetted to, and it will bump your post up to the top of the newsfeed of people who have liked your page or to their friends, so more people will see it. When X number of people see it, based on whatever numbers you pick when you set up the promotion, the post will 'expire' and won't be on any newsfeeds.

My limited experience with it has been that it is a complete waste of money. Real interaction and commenting and being a real 'person' is much more effective than paying to bump up a post, IMO.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Jesse Sears
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Workin'

[*] posted on 2/15/2013 at 02:30 AM

I would go a step further beyond "waste of money" and say avoid it like the plague. Promoting your post doesn't just make it more likely to appear in news feeds, it also tags it as a promoted post. People who know their social networks will know you paid money to inject it into their news feed. This is contrary to the whole principle behind the way to use social networking to your advantage. By definition, it's supposed to be organic.

Leave the ads at the side of the page is what I say.

RobertArend
Literary Master

[*] posted on 2/15/2013 at 10:21 AM

Excerpt from HuffPost article:

Facebook explains “If your friend is running a marathon for charity and has posted that information publicly, you can help that friend by promoting their post to all of your friends. Or if your friend is renting their apartment out and she tells her friends on Facebook, you can share the post with the people you and your friend have in common so that it shows up higher in the news feed and more people notice it.” One issue, though, is that you don’t need a friend’s permission to promote their posts. And depending on what they said, the extra eyeballs might not always be appreciated. Facebook will have to keep an eye on this one. If people use it for evil, or people unwittingly end up looking like a loudmouth used car salesmen in cheap plaid polyester suits that reek of even cheaper cologne, then it may want to give authors the option to prevent promotions....

Link to Full HuffPost Article: http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/14/promoted-posts-friends/?icid=maing...

Nancy G.
Literary Master

[*] posted on 2/15/2013 at 02:25 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for posting, Robert.

Theresa
Literary Master

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 2/15/2013 at 04:28 PM

I'm actually reporting those "promoted posts" or "promoted pages" that show up in my newsfeed as spam, since they're usually from pages I haven't liked. I might have liked them had I come across them in normal circumstances, but as it is, I view them as spam just like unsolicited emails from people trying to sell me stuff in my email inbox. So those posts actually prevent me from liking that page, or interacting with it in any way.

Jesse Sears
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Workin'

[*] posted on 2/16/2013 at 05:20 AM

Theresa, that's exactly what I was trying to get at. To me, it feels like those ads in magazines that are done up to look like journalistic content. It's repurposing a medium meant for sharing things to be used selling things, be that product or oneself. Deceptive.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies