Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Humor book
melinda
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

question.gif posted on 2/15/2013 at 10:41 AM
Humor book

I'm thinking about putting together a short humor book (maybe 50-70 pages). I'd probably take some of my material from my blog entries, edit it, but I think I'd need to have a good percentage of original material for it to sell.

I'd appreciate any feedback on what percentage original material people think would be fair to include in order to make the product desirable (as in something that people would want to read)? Since my blog isn't well known, I'm gonna assume that a lot of people who read humor probably haven't seen it anyway.

I'm also thinking I'd like to find a cartoonist (more Family Circus style than Bloom County). If anyone can recommend an artist who might be willing to collaborate with me or do a few custom illustrations, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, I really like writing humor. It's how I blow off steam and it doesn't actually feel like work, so I'm enthused about this idea.

Melissa Snark
P.O. Box 1347, Pleasanton, CA 94566
email: melissasnark@gmail.com
twitter: @MelissaSnark

My website: Melissa Snark author site

My blog: The Snarkology

Sadie
Literary Master

Mood: Hangry and Smad!

[*] posted on 2/16/2013 at 11:19 AM

I am already a fan of yours and definitely think your blog posts are keepers. :)

Maybe you could start with close to a 50/50 split between the blog stuff and brand new material, and see how it looks to you, then adjust one way or another depending on how well you think everything fits together. I'll bet you'll spark a lot of ideas just by going through the process.

I was helping the children locked in cages during the Obama presidency, were you?

Facebook: never joined it, never will.

Operation Underground Railroad:
http://ourrescue.org/

TTM author page:
http://twintrinitybooks.com/info.php?articles&articles_id=9

Top Ten Reasons...
http://twintrinity.com/?p=1421
melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 2/16/2013 at 11:22 AM

Hi Sadie,

You're right. I've started a manuscript and I've already had a bunch of ideas for fresh material as I work through the outline.

I went onto Fiverr and selected a cartoonist whose style I liked and ordered a two panel strip. That's got a five day turn around, so we'll see how it goes. If I like his product then I intend to order about a dozen for the book.

This needs to go to print, I think, in order to sell well. It'll be a learning process. :)

Thanks!

Melissa Snark

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 2/16/2013 at 06:07 PM

When ordering cartoons though, for a book, be sure that he's selling you the copyright or a proper license for putting them in the book and selling that book commercially... a lot of illustrators will do commissioned work for a great price, but they only let you use them like on a website or for private use (like an invitation for friends, or something like that) but not for commercial sale like in a book. Make absolutely certain he will give you the rights to publish the cartoons before you order and pay and have some type of agreement or contract with him for that to protect yourself.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
melinda
Literary Master

[*] posted on 2/16/2013 at 07:11 PM

Michy,

I ordered it through Fiverr. Their terms of use specify that I get all of the rights unless it states otherwise. He didn't state any exceptions so I believe I'm okay.

Once I get the first cartoon back, I'll post it here.

Melissa Snark

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies