Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DRM or not? a debate that wonít be over anytime soon
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 5/6/2013 at 01:08 AM
DRM or not? a debate that wonít be over anytime soon

The one subject I didnít touch in last weekís series of posts on ebooks was DRM: digital rights management, the software that controls what you can do with an ebook (or any other) file. This topic is so fraught with emotion and misplaced certainty that it has ďthird railĒ aspects to it. So we tackle it today with the knowledge that weíre going to annoy many people: thereís no way to avoid it.

http://www.idealog.com/blog/drm-or-not-a-debate-that-wont-be-over-a...

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 5/6/2013 at 11:02 AM

I think that a LOT of Amazon authors, myself included, havenít even made payout yet, so DRM and other issues are essentially a non-issue at the moment. Itís like asking me what engine Iím going to put in my project car when Iím still figuring out the wheels.

Iíve always suspected that DRM stuff will be a big issue, though, at some point. Looks like it might be here.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 5/6/2013 at 08:11 PM

Doesn't matter whether or not you make payout to know about DRM upfront, because choosing to use it could be what makes the difference whether you make payout or not.

Also, I told you if you'd switch to direct deposit, you'd make payout...

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 5/6/2013 at 08:30 PM

I know. :) I wasnít complaining, Iím just saying that those of us who are way small fry donít worry about all this stuff as much as someone who is selling 100k copies a year type thing.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies