Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Umm... Writing vs. Promtion?
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 5/17/2013 at 07:15 AM
Umm... Writing vs. Promtion?

Okay, so my newsletter thread posted twice for some reason, so I had to change one into something else.

This might make for an interesting discussion!

I remember some study done of things that increased your percentage chance at having a successful self-published book. 30% increase for book cover, 35% for pro editing, etc. (Not the real numbers.)

One I latched onto was a big increase in success as a writer if you spent more time writing fiction and putting out new books rather than marketing.

I'd personally just write fiction and not spend hours marketing things every day. Which do you think works better, or has worked better for you?

[Edited on 17-5-2013 by Melanie]

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 5/17/2013 at 12:04 PM

When I see the biggest surge in sales, it's when I release something new. Now, one might think that has to do with the sales of the 'new' item, but it's not just the new item. When I release something new, ALL of my books increase in sales.

I read somewhere that you should spend about 80% of your time writing and about 20% of your time marketing and promoting. I like that balance. We DO have to do a little bit of marketing and promoting. Even authors with big name publishers have to do marketing and promoting. Publishers are even asking for marketing plans with submissions now. Readers expect authors to be accessible, on social networking, and available sometimes in person too--book signings, events, press releases, and more. With a publisher, the publisher does all of this. As an indie-author, we have to do it.

But then there's Mercedes Lackey who says, "I can spend time going to book signings and meeting fans or I can write more books..." and basically asks the readers what they'd prefer. They nearly unanimously wanted new books.

So I try to stick to the 80/20. I also have found that the more books that sell the less I have to promote. Eventually, if you keep in the groove, the sales start to roll on themselves. With a little more promotion, you just keep increasing that roll... if you can get onto any Amazon best sellers list, it will snowball on its own for you.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 5/17/2013 at 12:33 PM

Iím definitely not as gung ho as many about the self-promoting thing. Jen is a great example. Her untiring self promotion is absolutely fantastic. Iíll plug a book on Facebook time to time, maybe on a forum, but Iím not good at being Ďin your faceí about stuff like that.

Which is why Iím going for the shotgun effect, same as my yahoo articles: the more I have out there, the more hits I get. Itís just logistics. Sure, Iíd rather write a single masterpiece and live off its sales, but whether itís one masterpiece or one hundred okay stories, as long as Iím writing, Iím doing it correctly. :D

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 5/17/2013 at 04:43 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

I think the same way really. I'm not so great at promoting myself. I'd rather let me work speak for me. Hopefully I'm good enough that readers will read one book and want to read the next.

I was reading some post about a self-pubbed writer who did nothing but start a newsletter. She included a link to the signup form in the back of every book she put out there. In about a year she had over 2,000 subscribers eager to buy every book she put out.

We can dream, right? :lol:

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
Michy

[*] posted on 5/17/2013 at 05:28 PM

Dreaming is just the start of creating... keep dreaming, but take positive action toward that dream. Ya never know...

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Michy

[*] posted on 6/16/2014 at 03:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Melanie  
Thanks for the input guys.

I think the same way really. I'm not so great at promoting myself. I'd rather let me work speak for me. Hopefully I'm good enough that readers will read one book and want to read the next.

You know, this part is very true--but how do you get the readers to the first book so they can read you to begin with? That is where your marketing has to come in.

When readers have literally millions of books to choose from, you have to do something to stand out and get them to that first book before your writing can stand on its own.

Love and stuff,
Michy

faust
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 2/26/2016 at 06:48 AM

Without at least a little bit of marketing, there will be no sales. But I agree that promotion has to take up no more than 20% of your time. Working on your writing and creating new stories is and will always remain to be our priority.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies