Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Before You Buy a Press Release to Promote Your Book, Read This
RobertArend
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6/2/2013 at 09:58 PM
Before You Buy a Press Release to Promote Your Book, Read This

Excerpt from this "Best Damn Creative Blog" post:

"It is a tip that can be found everywhere. From the guest articles over at Writer’s Digest to the smallest of self-publishing blogs, there is quite a bit of emphasis placed on the need to perfect a press release so that it can be distributed to the masses. Unfortunately, the problem with this advice is that it neglects one essential detail that nearly all indie writers have in common:

They are not famous.

This means that (although they are awesome) nothing that they do is considered “news” by the media."

Link to the full blog post: http://www.bestdamncreativewritingblog.com/paid-press-release-book-...

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 6/3/2013 at 06:43 PM

Yup... quite true. But...

Local newspapers might be willing to run with it. And local radio stations sometimes will too, particularly in smaller towns (granted, hard to get them to run with it if you live in NYC or LA). Also, you can do them online and spread it around and some of the online press release sites let you do links, which are more backlinks to your ordering site or retail location or website.

The thing is, you want to write your own--NOT pay for it. Paying someone to do it is really a waste of money--we're writers. We can look up the way to write one and do it ourselves and have one more outlet for promotion.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6/3/2013 at 07:56 PM

Michy sent out a press release for us to use when EoT was released. For EoD and EoLife I wrote my own. Local papers in smaller towns are only too happy to run press releases for local folks.

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 6/14/2014 at 07:03 PM

Yep, I've found that my local papers and radio stations are receptive of my press releases. In fact, I contact them all on FaceBook first to see if their interested. And they always seem to come back with a positive. Then I have my publisher pop them off a press kit. Interviews usually follow. However, this works great for a new release on the day or shortly after. Local tows and cities love local authors--it's a bragging right.

chris

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is…
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies