Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Coming Out of the Cave...
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 4/4/2014 at 04:20 PM

Are you in the Accentuate group on Facebook? We talk in there sometimes...

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 4/5/2014 at 06:46 AM

Yup.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 5/10/2014 at 07:00 AM

The second short story in my current round of submissions has been accepted. Yay!

That's two accepted out of four out right now.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 7/4/2015 at 11:19 AM

Figured out today how much I'd have to make on different lengths of stories/books (10k - 100k) in order to cover what I make writing awful little articles. It's a bit daunting.

This new KU2 thing is kinda screwing my plans big time. Lots of the things I had in production now seem a bit useless.

Oh well... keeping on.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Michy

[*] posted on 7/4/2015 at 08:41 PM

What is it about the KU2 that is hurting your plans?

In reality, for people who are writing more than short little 10 - 20 page books, the KU thing is benefiting authors, not hurting them.

Also, it only affects you if you give exclusivity to Amazon. If you're going to publish with iBooks and nook and other venues, then the KU stuff won't affect you at all.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 7/5/2015 at 08:46 AM

A few of my planned projects were in that range (10kish words). So, I have to make them longer, which isn't earth-shattering, but still messes up my timeline.

My intent was to publish to KDP for the first 90 days and then go wide. Get some attention with the free days and the ranking system they used to have. Now I'm reading things about people's books in KU2 going WAY down from stable positions on the rankings that they've held for a while... like 8k to 60k differences, so not even sure it's worth it anymore. Another reason... it's easier. I don't have to learn everything right away. :smilegrin:

Not that I'm ranked anywhere or likely to be, since huge marketing pushes are not in my plan.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Michy

[*] posted on 7/6/2015 at 08:23 AM

The thing is, Melanie, if they are dropping in rankings, it's because they are not really good writers to begin with. The ones dropping are those who were artificially up in the ranks, because they were doing huge promotional efforts to sell their books, but weren't writing well enough to engage the reader to keep them reading. So now with the algorithms that are assessing whether the buyers are actually READING the books is changing their rankings.

So the people who are writing well and people ARE actually reading their books, but perhaps they aren't artificially inflating the rankings by huge promotional surges or by artificially being included higher up in the rankings, which result in more sales, which result in higher rankings, which... as you see how it works. The more you sell, the more you WILL sell. Well, now, the rankings take into account whether or not the books are being READ too.

If the books are read more, actually finished, by more readers, the author gets more money AND the books will increase in sales rankings....

So if you're seeing folks complain about rank dropping, it's likely because they aren't retaining readers long enough to finish the majority of books.

If you're writing a good books, they'll read you!

Also, there's no reason to increase the size of your books. I'm not sure I understand why you're thinking they need to be longer?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Michy

[*] posted on 7/6/2015 at 08:30 AM

I wanted to add that I think doing the KDP exclusive for 90 days and then going wide for promotion isn't a bad idea at all. Just remember when you do it to uncheck that box for auto renewal, 'cause it sucks if you get sucked in for another 90 days without meaning to!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/5/2016 at 09:32 AM

This is my private safe place (even though it's not actually really private) and I just need to share something with the world. Or at least get it out of my head...

He's gone. That horrible, horrible last name I've been dragging around with me since my divorce nearly 15 years ago is gone. I'm ME again. (Don't ask why I waited so long...) My boys have MY name now too.

For years I batted the decision back and forth. What's in a name after all? I'm the same person whether I'm called Melanie His-Name or Melanie My-Maiden-Name... But it DOES make a difference after all.

I've yet to get all my official stuff fixed, but I can legally use my name now. :) I just wish this whole thing didn't cost so much... ugh. Each damn certificate costs $25 and I will need over 30 of them to cover all our stuff. Ugh again.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Sadie
Literary Master

Mood: Hangry and Smad!

[*] posted on 2/5/2016 at 10:51 AM

Congratulations, Melanie! I truly know what's in a name and how much the change can mean. So happy for you, that you are you again! :)

I was helping the children locked in cages during the Obama presidency, were you?

Facebook: never joined it, never will.

Operation Underground Railroad:
http://ourrescue.org/

TTM author page:
http://twintrinitybooks.com/info.php?articles&articles_id=9

Top Ten Reasons...
http://twintrinity.com/?p=1421
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies