Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: When can you call yourself a writer?
Ken
Extraordinary Writer

Mood: thoughtful

[*] posted on 7/24/2013 at 06:31 PM
When can you call yourself a writer?

I've been retired for several years. Now, when we meet people, I hesitate to describe myself as a writer. On the face of it, it is a simple question. However, the more I think about it, the more complicated the issue becomes. First of all, I am self-published. Does that immediately disqualify me as a writer? I know that there are many people that have been very successful as self-published writers. But today, anyone can self-publish. I also know that it is true that many famous authors, through history, began by self-publishing, long before the internet and the Kindle. Yes I have had sales - nothing that will every earn me a living though. I've gotten a number of pretty good 5 star reviews. Still, to put myself in the general class of writers seems a bit presumptuous, if not altogether pompous. It is too bad there aren't comfortable subclasses of writers in which I can place myself. I'm not planning to shout it from the rooftops. Simply as a response to the question 'what do you do now that you're retired?' If you haven't already guessed, yes I feel a little embarrassed calling myself a writer. I'd love to read what people think about this issue and if anyone else feels, at least just a little uncomfortable labeling themselves as a writer.

Ken,
kenteicherbooks.com
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 7/24/2013 at 07:34 PM

I've read your work. You're a writer, Ken. It's really that simple.

But to go a bit more in depth--a writer doesn't have to make a living writing. A writer isn't about DOING something--it's about BEING something. I AM a writer... I write because I'm a writer.

My take on this question has always been, if you think you're a writer, you are a writer.

I think you're a writer.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

windowshopping04
Board Admin/Moderator

Mood: grateful

[*] posted on 7/24/2013 at 07:59 PM

"So, Ken, what do you do now that you've retired? How do you keep yourself busy?"

"I write! I write fiction. I have a series of action thrillers based on archeological research which some people really seem to like. The series is available on Amazon."

==========

Ken, you are a writer! You have done something which many people have not: You have completed books, published them, and put them up for sale!

Do I feel hesitation about calling myself a writer? Absolutely! But then, I write mostly for myself. I have not completed writing a book. I write a lot of poetry (much of which no one will ever see - I promise!). I write letters to people I love... I am so many things, but part of my identity is as a writer. I am a writer... at least sometimes!

Grace and abundance are limitless even in the face of fear and malice.
flyingbird65
Founding Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7/24/2013 at 08:45 PM

Ken, I am the least talented person in this forum. I have been here since the beginning. I have never completed a novel or book of any kind. What I have done is a lot of online content stuff. What am i? I am a writer.

I write for me. I write for my girlfriend. I write for friends and family. I write because its what I want so badly to get better at doing.

Embrace being a writer not because you have proven successful but because you desire to express yourself with the written word. Growing up I was always told to get an education because no one can take that away from you. Being a writer is much the same. Big or small, famous or undiscovered know that you are a writer.

Many great writers were writers years before anyone knew their name. Writing isn't really about fame and fortune. Writing is about feeding that need, that rambling of thoughts that keep you up at night, that desire to tell a story or to express an opinion. You are a writer.

Welcome fellow writer.

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird
Ken
Extraordinary Writer

Mood: thoughtful

[*] posted on 7/25/2013 at 08:09 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I will feel better about myself now when I answer people 'what do I do now that I'm retired? I'm a writer'.

[Edited on 7/26/2013 by Ken]

Ken,
kenteicherbooks.com
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 7/25/2013 at 10:06 PM

You're a writer, Ken. Plain and simple. Pixels on screen--editing-publications--work for sale = a writer.

I have no problem calling myself a writer. I do have a problem calling myself a true author, even with thousands of publications. I wrongly/rightly equate authorship with a sale to the Big 5, for some reason. And this has eluded me for 24 years.

tri

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 7/26/2013 at 11:38 AM

Chris, Ken, the majority of the most famous authors of our time were never published by the big 6/5.... in fact, some of them weren't even published until after their death, and yet, we consider them the best authors of all time.

Publication does not an author make.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 7/26/2013 at 12:43 PM

I agree. If I weld beautiful lawn ornaments and sell them on eBay, but Im not certified enough to get a welding job with the union, would I still be a welder? Hell yes, I would be, and my customers would attest to that fact if the products were good.

We iz righters, no madder wut.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies