Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Not All Editing/Editors is/are the Same
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 9/19/2013 at 09:27 PM
Not All Editing/Editors is/are the Same

Grrrr. I'm editing a book that another 'editor' was supposed to have already done, and the author has paid a decent amount for that editing, and I'm finding mistakes as simple as its/it's. I could give it a pass one time as possibly a mistake, just got missed, BUT it happened more than once, AND Word's grammar-check even underlined it for me as possibly wrong... things like this irritate me, and it's not fair to authors who might not know the difference. When an editor can't even use a simple grammar check... grrrr! This is why it's so important for authors to know simple grammar rules yourself, enough to be able to check your editor's work.

If you see simple mistakes like this, don't pay your editor! Get another one! It's also why I tell you all that more than one set of eyes needs to look at your manuscript! I always do three passes and then Lynn and Kaira both do at least one pass on every manuscript I work on, including my own, and then I hire an outside editor for all my own stuff in addition to that!~

ALWAYS get a sample edit before you hire someone and ask them what other books they've edited, buy those books (or at least look at the 'look inside' on amazon) and see if they've done a good job. Read the reviews about the books to see if they have comments that the editing is poor, that type of thing.

It's your book and your money and your career--you have a right to demand that it's right!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies