Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bubblews Discussion Thread: Good, Bad, Ugly, Opinion?
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 9/22/2013 at 05:33 AM
Bubblews Discussion Thread: Good, Bad, Ugly, Opinion?

http://www.bubblews.com/splash

A while back, I shared a link to Bubblews here on the paying writing leads gigs area of the forum, and many of you have gone on and signed up. I made it clear I had zero experience with them, bu invited you guys to proceed with caution and let me know how it's going.

Many of you have done that, and have kindle reported back to me your experiences. Additionally, we've been discussing it on the Facebook group (Thanks Jennifer Wright, Rissa, and Laurie for your experiences there!), and I thought I'd start a discussion thread here so other people who lurk and are googling for information on the site can find the information here too.

So here's what I know:

You only have to write 400 characters. This is a plus. You get paid money for views, likes, comments, etc., but it's limited to IP address, so you only get one credit for that from each IP. I know this is true, because Lynn and Ryan couldn't click to like something that I had already clicked to like, because the IP address matched, even though they are different people.

There's no minimum participation, and no major rules on what to post and what not to post. If it's offensive to them, they will take it down, and the rumor is, they really won't discuss it with you. Argue with them about it? They'll kick you off and ban your account and won't pay you what you're owed.

There is a way to make money on the site, but those who participate in 'read mine and I'll read yours' will get more money than those who post and run. There are voting/reading/clicking circles cropping up all over the place. The site payments are, however, because they are limited by IP and they only pay what they themselves are, are mostly sustainable.

However... the big downside is, many writers (in fact, almost all of them I've talked to) have experienced delayed payments on multiple occasions and almost all of them have experienced at least one 'missing' payment they are owed and have never and expect to never receive. And they won't answer emails about it after a time, and the rumor is that if you bug them too much, they'll kill your account and then never pay you.

The basic gist is: If you use it as a micro-blogging platform, it has a purpose and makes you a little money. However, you shouldn't depend upon it to make in income or to pay a bill, because payment is dependable or steady.

Some other complaints: They have cliques and can be quite brutal. The admins are rude and mostly unresponsive when not being rude. They don't always follow their own rules and the rules seem to change on whims. The overall quality of the site leans toward 'poor' and that might reflect badly on your portfolio if you're looking to use it as a credit.

Some positives: You can post mostly anonymously if you don't want to use a real name. The requirement of time and investment of energy is low. You can write about just about anything you want. It's easy and quick money, when they do pay.

Overall? I wouldn't probably recommend them to anyone who is seriously looking to make any money. But if you're a writer who already blogs and you enjoy the aspect of microblogging for a little money, it might be the thing for you.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: they sort of have an affiliate program, and that means people spam their links around, and that makes a lot of false reviews pop up for them online. Here are some links to some really negative experiences with Bubblews.

Please feel free to ask questions or add your own experiences or testimonial below!

Thanks!

Links to information about Bubblews:

http://www.blogsmartguide.com/caution-is-bubblews-money-making-site...

What I found interesting about this blog post is the lack of proper English, so we know this person doesn't speak English as their first language-that doesn't mean anything by itself, but some of the writing style made it awkward to read, and so the articles they posted might have been similar. Another thing is they say they spent 3-4 hours every day on the site, and belonged to the site for 1 1/2 months, but they only earned about $25... that's pretty low pay right there. So that's not saying much for earning potential.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/httpwwwbubblewscom/internet/httpwwwbu...

A complaint about the site having poor content that might not be true, written purely for the money.

http://www.teckler.com/en/makemoney/Bubblews-Users-Complain-about-n...

-----

But the ones that are bothering me the most are people who are loving the site but also saying they aren't getting paid. Like this one (which is jut one of many examples):

http://fullofknowledge.com/2013/08/attempts-to-get-paid-by-bubblews...

They say:

"Donít expect to get paid for every redemption. I got paid for my first redemption, stiffed on the second and third, and now it appears that Iíll be paid for the fourth. "

I'm sorry--but that's a crappy attitude to have. You should DEMAND a site pay you what they SAY they will pay you and if they don't, then they are in breech of their agreement and they should be held accountable.

What do you guys think?

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Michy

[*] posted on 9/22/2013 at 06:48 AM

Some more stuff about payments from around the web:

yeah .. first - bubblews only allowed 10 post max per day. second - yes bubblews paid but only my first time (in my experience) no payment for my second and third payment until now (already more then a month for my second redeem) but feel free for anyone who wish to try their luck. o ya their support never give a reply to me (maybe only for me). good luck for anyone who will give a try

http://the-me-cfs-ghost.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-bubblews-warning-l...

on 5th August I saw that I had reached the minimum needed to redeem payment so I sent my request through. it is now 31st August and I still have not received payment nor have I received any communication from Bubblews. I had heard that they had delayed payments, so I waited, but today I e-mailed them to enquire about the payment. From what I've heard, I'll be lucky to get a response, but I thought I would go through the motions at least

requested payment before 2 months no one contacted with me support is dead i think, i write about 15times but no one contacted and paid me, so they paid rondom, and people think that this site is legit, but it isnt

Forget it, Bubblews is not paying, it's easy to stock the money, but hard to reedem it. I have two 25$ redemption lost in the wave of SCAM. Fck Bubblews

On June 1st I cleared my Bubblews account of articles I had written for them in the past. I thought, why let Bubblews gain ad views for my articles when they had not paid me for 3 consecutive cashout requests.

http://earn-online-income-today.blogspot.com/2013/06/deleting-all-m...

Waiting makes a martyr out of some writers there who still continued to write despite some 2, 3, or 4 missing payments. It's like a normal occurrence there, really.

http://makingfinancialsense.blogspot.com/2013/08/that-bubblews-scam...

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
flyingbird65
Founding Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9/22/2013 at 10:45 AM

I kind of believe that Bubblews is a good idea but poorly thought out. The people behind creating that site over estimated its growth, under estimated its payout cost and over estimated its income. Those reason would account for failed payments

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird
Camack
Literary Master

Mood: so-so

[*] posted on 9/22/2013 at 02:28 PM

I read this with interest! Coincidentally, I posted 10 posts yesterday. After 24 hours, I have $4.51 in my bank!! (I had signed up back in June, but never did anything with it. Bored yesterday!) Just seeing what it's all about. Not a lot of work to it. I "liked" the odd person's post and connected with a few and vice versa. All my postings were from my blog, so not like I'm giving anything away. I'll see if I get my first payout. I'll keep at it until then, just to see...

Camack
Literary Master

[*] posted on 9/22/2013 at 03:48 PM

hmm....up to $5.93 now. Wonder if I'll get paid when I reach $25??

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 9/22/2013 at 10:06 PM

I wouldn't put up your writing name on there- don't want to be linked to the site that easily because some of those articles are ridiculously obvious article spinners.

This is a site to use if you want make a little longer of a facebook post- or a really stupid one. Like I wrote one about- hey what's this mysterious plant.

Or look at my broken foot. Just stupid crap that took me about a minute to do.

I have 60 articles and have done payout twice and have $13.19 in the bank now. I wrote one article since the last payout and only to post the harvest moon pic because I was annoyed a friend on facebook shared it on her page without even asking me if she could. Figured if it was going to get posted around I might as well do it and make something maybe.

SO that $13 was almost with no participation on the site. I only read and comment on the occasional one.

One thing I recommend- don't follow everyone who follows you or asks you to do it. There is no good way to sort anything- it all comes under notifications. Every comment, every new article a friend posts, every like. I have over a thousand right now and i ignore them because it is too cumbersome to sort through.

The $50 so far was cool. If I actually get paid for this last amount once it hits $25 I will be happy. But I will not put a lot of effort into this because I know several great writers who have gotten screwed and admin is not good to deal with.

Save any articles you want saved before posting.

Use at your own risk. Cash out as soon as you get to $25 because I have a feeling this one will turn into Mahalo pretty soon and it will disappear.

But I will say I have made more in residuals on Bubblews than I have on Yahoo for the whole year. Course it isn't had to beat less than $2 a month. :)

[Edited on 9-23-2013 by itzrissa2u]

Michy

[*] posted on 9/22/2013 at 10:28 PM

http://www.bubblews.com/news/809279-writing-ponzis

Love and stuff,
Michy

plntpolice
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: hoping things get better

[*] posted on 9/23/2013 at 02:14 PM

I agree which everything Michy said. I put up 5 articles soon after joining, drifted away for awhile and then began to read all the complaints on the FB forum.

They did a major IT upgrade at one point, so I wasn't surprised that the site was weird for a few days, inaccessible and full of bugs, but that was many weeks ago and I kept seeing a lot of people saying they couldn't post, couldn't add pictures, on and on. How can you ever accumulate pageviews on a site that's always messed up or completely down?

Some forum folks seem to be friendly with the person who started Bubblews, I think his name is Avi, and they make excuses for him on FB. At one point he posted a request asking people to participate in lively debates on controversial subjects under a certain tag. The post was full of bad grammar and misspellings. Yes, I'm imperfect, but then I don't run a big web site for writers, and if I did, I'd certainly proofread more carefully.

The site's motto is "Speak freely. Write your world." If you write posts about not getting paid, they kick you off and don't pay you.

I feel I was lucky that I didn't expend much effort before seeing how it was shaking out, but I'm disappointed. I liked the idea of being able to post brief articles at my own pace, and I had decent hopes for the concept. I've accumulated less than $5 for those initial articles, so there's no major loss and I can't complain, but I wish it was all handled more fairly.

Recently, after lurking on the writers' FB forum, I asked as politely as I could why people still persist is writing there, given all the problems. Honestly, I worded it MUCH more diplomatically than my usual habit, and asked specifically about the issue of repeated missed (rudely ignored) payments. As the discussion went on, I made the remark that it all reminded me of a friend who worked with battered women who stayed with their abuser, one of whom said something like, "But he doesn't beat me EVERY week." Ouch! I certainly meant no disrespect for abuse victims, having known close friends who went through that horror, but I simply wanted to convey my philosophy of "victimize me once, shame on you, twice, shame on me." One of the forum members took great offense, so I stopped even trying to monitor what was going on.

I would advise people to forget Bubblews.

When life hands you a rotten tomato, save it, cause someone you'd like to throw it at will come along soon.
moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 9/23/2013 at 03:35 PM

I've had good luck with redemptions so far, but that's only twice. I post there when I feel like it, usually just about whatever strikes my fancy. I tend to agree with Rissa and think it will be another Mahalo.

On the other hand, I have posted in a couple weeks and my total keeps going up every day -- a few cents, sure, but up.

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 9/23/2013 at 03:37 PM

I donít really think itís for me. My one experience with it is from a guy I now cannot stand, so the site is rather tainted already. On top of that, the buggy pay is a real turnoff. Iíve been writing professionally for years, and quite frankly donít have a whole lot of time to donate keystrokes. :D

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy

[*] posted on 9/23/2013 at 06:25 PM

Rose, it really is like an abusive situation, in the microcosm of it all. I mean, I get what you meant. You weren't trying to diminish abuse in any way--but you're making a good point about victimization and those with enough intelligence will understand what you meant.

You know, interjection, not long ago, Dr. Phil's show tweeted a thing from his account on Twitter that said: Is it OK to have sex with a teenager girl when she is drunk? Reply with yes or no @whatever #teenaccused

So anyone with a reasonable amount of intelligence can look at that and see that this is about an upcoming show topic, and that due to the hashtag, some teen's probably been accused of raping a teenaged girl who drunkenly had sex. It's pretty obvious to me.

But instead of seeing that, tons of people acted like Dr. Phil himself was posting it as a question to justify himself sleeping with a drunk teenaged girl. It was absolutely stunning to me the responses that tweet got. One of them said, "Hey, aren't you married, dude? Not cool!" and at first, one might have thought that was funny, ha ha, but the guy was seriously posting that and he went on to continue to bash Dr. Phil.

I'm not stupid. I don't believe for one minute neither did I expect for on second that Dr. Phil himself manages the Dr. Phil twitter account. OF COURSE, it's folks from the show, and OF COURSE that was a tweet about a show idea. They use data from Twitter on the show sometimes to say at the outset of the topic, "We did a poll on twitter, and an overwhelming majority of people thought blah blah blah..."

But tons of people jumped all over him to the point the tweet had to be pulled and the show had to apologize. Apologize? And someone even went so far as to do a change.org petition to make him apologize and as an apology to do a show highlighting the danger or teen rape and consent. Seriously. All from a tweet.

So yeah... I can see that equating it to victimization probably didn't go over well.

But in a way, it is a type of conditioning that these websites do. Yahoo! Voices did it both as Y!/CN and AC. We get accustomed to a certain payout level, then that drops drastically, and when it slowly creeps back up, we are HAPPY with the increase, even though the increase is still HALF of what it was before it dropped. We are pleased and thank them when in reality what they did was cut our money in half. I was making a lot more before the drop than I am now, so is everyone else, but all I see and hear on the forums and around the internet is how much better it is now. It IS better than it was, but it's worse than it was too, and everyone 'forgets' that. I call it 'boiling the frog'. They slowly just keep turning up the heat so we tolerate it and never realize they're cooking us.

And yes, the going back and accepting the negative behavior for the sake of the 'good stuff' is victimization 101. It's not physical abuse, but the patterns are there.

We accept that they miss a payment, we make excuses for them, why? Because when they do pay, oh they are so good. (they love us so much, when he's not hitting me, he's so sweet)... so yeah, I was an abused woman--and *I* can see the correlation and agree with you. No one is saying this is the same as being beaten, but the patterns of a predator are the same and the patterns of a victim are the same, even if the mode is different.

I do think the site victimizes people--and just like an abuser, there are some people the abuser is perfectly nice too (some people who are getting paid as promised) who don't understand or believe that others are getting screwed. Sadly, those people are defending the site and accusing writers who I KNOW did not cheat the system of having broken the rules and are blaming the victims for their victimization.

It's a VERY good analogy of what I see happening here.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Michy

[*] posted on 9/23/2013 at 06:32 PM

Another thing to consider here, though, not to defend Bubblews or anything, is this:

The guy who started the site never intended it to be income for writers. He was wanting to take social networking like Facebook and monetize it for the person using it as well as the site. He was considering it a micro-blogging site. He said in one interview that bloggers were expected to have perfect grammar and sentence structure to just get a good gig and get their voices heard, that they had to be professional writers almost to even blog these days and he was specifically wanting a micro-blogging site where people could say whatever they wanted, however they wanted, and not have to worry about things spelling and grammar and being a perfect writer.

So he never intended this to be a site for writers to actually make money. He underestimated his market and consumer and didn't expect what happened to happen. I don't think he honestly expected the site to be this successful either, so growing pains are one thing I can understand.

But the lack of response to requests for payment and banning and suspending people with no warning and no real reason... kicking people who dissent in any way off the site... not paying people with no proof or even a reason...

Yeah, he's treading down a dangerous path.

Love and stuff,
Michy

KatyJBerezny
Founding Member

Mood: Sketchy

[*] posted on 9/25/2013 at 11:19 AM

A lot of insight here. I will just play with it as if it's another blog site like MyLot. That is what it reminds me of and I never got a payout from MyLot either. I mean it's worth a shot and even with what you all are saying it seems to be a little better than AC currently is for me. I have also noticed the lack of simple grammar, like capitalizing proper nouns. You know, the simple stuff that makes you cringe.

When AC turned to Yahoo Voices, I lost interest quick because they were turning down articles. That, plus the fact that I had no time to write, has resulted in just writing a couple articles a year! I am still amazed that I was in the top 1000 in 2012. Anyway, I think I will stick with it and see. I wish I would have saw this first so that I wouldn't have put my penname as my username there. I guess we live and learn.

I found the link off Craigslist, under writing gigs. lol Go figure! Thanks and keep posting your experiences about them.

~~~~

Never underestimate the power at your fingertips...
plntpolice
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: hoping things get better

[*] posted on 9/25/2013 at 12:32 PM

I want to add one small redeeming feature about Yahoo! Contributor Network. I last published there in 12/10 and I still get a small payment every month. The first article I wrote, about climbing Hydrangeas, now has 112,814 views accumulated over the years, so although they paid me just $3.24 upfront for it, it's really made me some decent money in the long run. I have a number of gardening topic articles that keep bringing in the pennies. I'm actually considering submitting something there soon. I fear they've reached the saturation point with most subjects, however. My one major regret about Bubblews is that I wasted an article on a rare houseplant by putting it there along with my photos, and it might be the one gardening topic that isn't saturated on Yahoo!

Michy, I so completely agree with your "boiling the frog" story, and Dr. Phil also. It's getting to the point where, in social media, we dare not post anything that can in any bizarre way, by any slated point of view be misconstrued. We used to say that emails lacked the added value of facial gestures and voice inflection to explain intent, now it's more a case of if it can possibly be twisted, it will be.

When life hands you a rotten tomato, save it, cause someone you'd like to throw it at will come along soon.
Camack
Literary Master

[*] posted on 9/25/2013 at 01:20 PM

Up to $12.65 now, ha ha ha. Money in my "bank" seems slower now than at the start. And duh, was I dumb! I didn't realize it said 400 CHARACTERS...I thought it said 400 WORDS....and that was hard and I have a lot of LONG postings at the beginning. 400 characters, well, that's a cinch! You'd think I could read by now. Half-way there to my $25!

KatyJBerezny
Founding Member

[*] posted on 9/25/2013 at 01:39 PM

I just read this article on Bubblews...

http://www.bubblews.com/news/1208102-50th-time-ive-redeemed#comment...

~~~~

KatyJBerezny
Founding Member

[*] posted on 10/9/2013 at 10:55 PM

Just an update, I redeemed $25.03 on Paypal through Bubblews, since September 25. It's a bit of a push but I have noticed that my "bank" is increasing faster. Also, I am almost positive that the naysayers didn't follow the rules, correctly. If you break the rules, they won't pay you. Before they send the money, they go over your work and activity on the site, somehow. :cool:

~~~~

Michy

[*] posted on 10/9/2013 at 11:13 PM

See, that's what i sometimes think too, but that's not the case here. Some of these people who aren't getting paid are still members, and they got paid before and after the missed payments. They have mostly just blown off the missed payment and quit fighting for it--but they did nothing to deserve not getting paid and were indeed paid afterward. So no, this is just normal for this site.

Sometimes they just don't pay... most people get the first two or three payments fine, then it becomes hit or miss after that.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Camack
Literary Master

[*] posted on 10/10/2013 at 09:51 AM

My first two payments on are on the way. My first might be there in Paypal; haven't checked yet. I think my first was $37 or so, the second around $27. That was in two weeks. I'm up to almost $14 in my third week, but I haven't been doing anything with it this week. It's a lot of work posting 10 a day, clicking likes, etc. Well, not that much time, I guess, but gets old. I'm kind of sick of it already, to be honest, ha ha ha. I'll continue to post a bit on it when I have the odd, bored moment, though.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies