Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: The Top 10 Reasons to Write Short Stories
RobertArend
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10/17/2013 at 09:04 AM
The Top 10 Reasons to Write Short Stories

1.Practice. Short stories are an excellent way to develop a story with a beginning, middle, and ending. They are also easier to finish than novels.

2.Cellular world. Readers have smaller screens and shorter attention spans. You may reach a different market with your short stories. Literary journals, online journals, and consumer magazines, which are often read online, publish short stories.

3.Connected. Short stories are a great way to write for the Internet. You can develop e-book anthologies and series stories. You can do this by starting a blog and posting instalments.

4.A way to start. Many great writers started by writing short stories. Stephen King, Ernest Hemingway, and Mark Twain became famous novelists, but they honed their craft publishing short stories.

5.Experiment. A short story is a good way to try a different genre without putting 80 000 words, which have to be revised, rewritten and reworked, on paper. You may find that your voice is suited to a completely different type of story.

6.Reputation. Short stories are a good way to help you build up a body of work. This shows publishers that you are a working writer. Fiction magazines that publish short stories are often read by reviewers, publishers, and editors.

7.Competitions. Entering short story contests could jump start your career. Winning a prestigious competition, or having a story included in an anthology, is good for your resume and your ego. You may even win some money. You also get feedback on entries in some competitions. This is almost unheard of when you submit novels today.

8.Concentrate. Short stories force you to get to the point. The lack of sub-plots, as well as a limited number of characters, makes it easier to concentrate on the plot. This is good for writers who need to stop filling their novels with back story
9.Nobel. Alice Munro, a short story writer, won the 2013 Nobel Prize for Literature.

10.Love. Write short stories because you love writing.

Source: http://writerswrite.co.za/the-top-10-reasons-to-write-short-stories

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 10/17/2013 at 01:06 PM

Yes! All the biggies say to start with shorts before moving on to longer works.

However, I liken them to blitz chess: While fun, it can create bad habits. The worst of which, of course, is only writing short stories or playing blitz chess.

I used to aim for the 4,500 word mark (donít know why, really) in my tales. Now, by that same word count, I feel the story hasnít even started. I like to get into the worlds and characters a little more now days.

I do, however, still enjoy writing shorts. Just remember itís not the end all be all of storytelling.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
RobertArend
Literary Master

[*] posted on 10/17/2013 at 04:21 PM

ďI eschew writing a novel. I much prefer the short story, because Iím less likely to die before completing one.Ē__The Robert

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 10/17/2013 at 05:37 PM

I tend to write to whatever length the story makes me write to, then I stop. For me, novel length seems to be what I'm best at.

I should say I PLAN to do that.... I don't have that many novels done yet. Just 3, and one totally sucks.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 10/27/2013 at 01:08 AM

I tend to lean toward the novella length on most of my works, but novels are my primary writing product.

Short stories just don't do it for me any more... I can't seem to get deep enough to what I want to say in them.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
runbch
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 9/10/2014 at 12:12 PM

I tend to write short stories, because it is easier for me. The longer it goes, it gets tougher to maintain a high standard.

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 9/10/2014 at 08:26 PM

I always think I'm going to write a short story, and then it turns into a novel-in-progress!~

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
artfirms
Super Moderator

Mood: Always hopeful.

[*] posted on 9/11/2014 at 12:36 AM

I'm doing both now. I've actually found each is an art form in itself. I am back to writing short stories for subbing, and I absolutely love writing novels.
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9/11/2014 at 07:32 AM

Lately I've been thinking about taking an old short story (The Best Revenge) that never made it to publication and turning it into a novel. There's enough there, I think, to expand it.

Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9/11/2014 at 01:39 PM

Since this thread was last active, Iíve written a couple nice long stories, and I must say length is rewarding. That being said, a short is a thing totally by itself, unlike any other thing on the earth. If the quality short is not respected, the novel will need a ton of work.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 9/11/2014 at 04:01 PM

Quote:

If the quality short is not respected, the novel will need a ton of work.

I'm interested in what you mean by this, Derek. I do agree that short stories and novels are pretty much different beasts, but I'm not quite sure if you mean that writers should respect short stories in their own right in order to be able to write a good novel or something else entirely.

I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean.

Of course, one would hope that writers would respect all types of good writing. :smilegrin:

Melanie
Lenora Meade - Romance
Skwerly
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 9/12/2014 at 07:07 AM

Well, I just mean that, in my opinion, a lot more planning and slicing has to go on in a short story because you have so few words to work with. You have to cut all the fat, so to speak, and yet still provide the reader with an exceptional story that stirs the soul.

When a writer gets pretty good at doing that, I feel they are more prepared for a novel than someone who has never written a short, for the most part. Of course, there are always exceptions, but I think thatís the norm.

In a novel, while there is technically more room for extra or fluff or even a little rambling, if you are accustomed to writing good shorts, youíll *feel* when you start to do that and back off a tad. At least, thatís the way it has been for me.

:)

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 9/12/2014 at 12:46 PM

Makes sense! Thanks.

Melanie
Lenora Meade - Romance
hunterthompson
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 8/4/2016 at 02:58 AM

Short stories can polish your writing. They make you avoid long pointless sentences a reader has to re-read for several times.

Be HappyPaper Writing Service

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies