Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Helium Changes Everything
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 10/28/2013 at 03:46 AM
Helium Changes Everything

Well, if you wrote for or write for Helium, then you might not have noticed but they have changed their platform completely--and I'm not happy about some of the mistakes they made.

I love the new platform. It's clean, crisp, attractive, easy on the eyes... whatever. The ads aren't very intrusive. They have gotten rid of the autoplaying video ads (yay!) and they are doing this as 'hubs', kinda like an online magazine of sorts--and it's probably better for SEO this way. I even like the navigation behind the scene better too.

BUT....

In the transition to the new site, they made multiple errors in the titles of the articles, and those show up on your profile and article pages.

For example:

Dengers of High Fructose Corn Syrup Truth about High Fructose Corn Syrup

Dengers? And the runon with no punctuation in the title?

This is my pen name this shows up under!

Or like the one here that should have a colon:

Seasonal Depression Fighting the Winter Blues

It should read: Seasonal Depression: Fighting the Winter Blues

Without that colon, it totally changes the meaning of the sentence to say that seasonal depression is fighting the winter blues—like Batman is fighting the Joker, but it’s not funny!

Or here, where it reads: Coping with Adult Add (should be ADD—It’s an acronym—which likely means all acronyms in titles are going to be wrong?)

The capitalization is completely random as well on many of these. It seems punctuation and capitalization both got dropped.

Okay—enough venting! Is there a way to report this or get these things changed?

I don't know. I can't find the forums.

Also, when you rate now, it doesn't show two articles from the same title--it shows two articles but they are from completely different titles and sometimes even categories. How can I rate the 'Short History of SEO" against "How to Write a Good Book Review" and tell them which is more 'useful'? Well, it would depend on what you needed. I suppose if you want to know about SEO, then learning how to write a good book review isn't very useful for you.

Looks like there are some bumps in their transition road.

But seriously--the multiple errors on article titles is.... bad.

And how long ago did this happen? Why was I not notified by email? I never got any notification that this change had occurred. Anyone know when?

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Michy

[*] posted on 10/28/2013 at 04:27 AM

this part makes me jump for joy though:

"in the new system (as opposed to the old system), you do not need rating stars in order to achieve revenue share. You will automatically earn your revenue share regardless."

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Michy

[*] posted on 10/28/2013 at 04:27 AM

And this:

"Helium Network will no longer offer $3 rating bonuses. Instead, you’ll see an increased percentage in your revenue share for each rating star you have. For one star, you’ll have in increase of 10%, 2 stars 11%, 3 stars 12% 4 stars 13% and 5 stars 15%."

Love and stuff,
Michy

opher
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10/28/2013 at 06:12 AM

I don't do anything on Helium, but it seems that the previous quote about no longer needing rating stars to receive revenue share may be true, but you get higher revenue if you do rate.
Quote: Originally posted by Michy  
And this:

"Helium Network will no longer offer $3 rating bonuses. Instead, you’ll see an increased percentage in your revenue share for each rating star you have. For one star, you’ll have in increase of 10%, 2 stars 11%, 3 stars 12% 4 stars 13% and 5 stars 15%."

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 10/28/2013 at 06:47 AM

About 2 weeks ago, the Helium site was "Read Only" for a while. I only noticed because I remembered I should rate something to get my money.

I haven't checked article titles over there (They really screwed them up!) and had an incredibly hard time figuring out where to rate things. I totally agree about the mismatched article titles!

I'm also a bit lost about how you choose a title to write to. Can you only write their selected titles in the "Available Work" thing now? Many of the titles I saw there were poetry!

I finally figured out where to see my articles. It appears the Leapfrog ability is gone now.

I never wrote for them much anyway, but I would like to keep getting that residual income.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
----------------------------
Michy

[*] posted on 10/28/2013 at 09:21 AM

It appears that you can suggest titles-it's called title seeding or article seeding or something--and you can get paid a little extra when you 'seed' an article too. They also are paying folks for doing typo fixes and stuff like that. Not sure how it all works--but they have applications for those who want to be site 'editors' or curators, and they pay for that time.

There are two different things you can do now--there's the network and then there's the professional writers. They 'advertise' the 'network' as being 'aspiring writers' and then there's the other part which is their pro team who has applied for and been accepted to write higher-dollar assignments for their clients. They claim that the network pays a small amount based on traffic and popularity and such while the other side of the services pays 'industry standard rates'. They both use the network workbench or workflow tool or whatever where you're talking about seeing the jobs listed.

So yes, we can only write to the titles that are in that section, it seems, but how we get titles into that section is still a little confusing.

I also know from reading their blog that they aren't up to 100% yet on the functionality of it all. For example, even though you can rate right now, rating stars have not been activated yet--so they won't really mean anything for stars. But apparently, there's going to be leaderboards (I see so much potential problems for this) and the leaderboards will help determine bonus payments or something. And the forums aren't up yet--so there's nowhere to get to discuss this with anyone other than the blogs.

I don't know what to do about the messed up titles--they transferred over so badly it's embarrassing.

Love and stuff,
Michy

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 10/28/2013 at 09:47 PM

When i try to look at it - i get a 404 error.

Michy

[*] posted on 10/29/2013 at 06:53 PM

http://www.helium.com/

and then the new stuff here:

https://cas.heliumnetwork.com/heliumauth/login?service=https%3A%2F%2...

Love and stuff,
Michy

Michy

[*] posted on 10/29/2013 at 06:55 PM

Here's one of my articles on one of the microsites:

http://www.livinghealthy360.com/index.php/drinking-water-helps-lose...

This one is called Living Health 360...

Then my profile on the new network:
https://app.heliumnetwork.com/heliumnetwork/viewPublicUserBio.sc?use...

Love and stuff,
Michy

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 10/29/2013 at 11:57 PM

Okay, glad i checked- it had my real name and not my pen name. WTF!

Happy i didn't write for them much. geez.

flyingbird65
Founding Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10/30/2013 at 01:30 PM

I checked there today. All my content was gone. :( Oh well I had given up on them a long time ago. Still have an account just sitting empty.

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies