Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Some Legalities Writers Don't Always Think About
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 11/3/2013 at 04:05 PM
Some Legalities Writers Don't Always Think About

http://michelleldevon.com/2013/11/03/writing-legalities-things-indi...

Some important but simple things we might not think about with our writing but that could really get us into legal trouble as a writer if we don't pay attention to them.

Do you have these illegal problems with your novel or WIP?

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 11/4/2013 at 01:27 AM

Some interesting points. The only one that was news to me was the font. That's... huh.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy

[*] posted on 11/4/2013 at 01:52 AM

Certain fonts aren't copyrighted or are i the public domain, like courier new and times new roman.

But think about this:

This is a font that was designed specifically for Harry Potter. Now, you can download this font all over the internet and install it on your computer for free--but if you use it on your book cover, and they find out about it, I guarantee you that you'll get a letter... and it'll be a nasty one.

Then there's the Ford Script Budweiser font:

Yahoo! uses its own font that's copyrighted too:

Anyway--some companies go to a lot of expense to get a font for their logos and stuff that is recognizable as theirs and they don't want other people using it.

Now, typeface isn't copyrightable--but fonts are. You have to understand a little how computers work to understand why too. Fonts are actually small pieces of 'software'. When you download a font onto your computer, you have to 'install' it as a small software program for it to work. That 'program' is completely copyrightable and using the program means you agree you won't use it for commercial purposes and blah blah blah, EVEN when you pay for it. A lot of folks think just because they bought a font package at a store and paid for the software that means they can use it for whatever they want, and that's simply not true.

This is not usually a problem with the interior of the books (though headers can sometimes be a problem) but it can really be a problem with the covers when a recognizable copyrighted font is used.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 11/4/2013 at 11:37 AM

Great article.

I try to double check every font and picture I use before I use it, but it's not too easy when people can so easily lie on their sites. I use a "Free for commercial use" font site, but how can I really tell if each individual font really is? Even if I read the "read me" files (which were an eye-opener on some!) it's hard to be sure.

In the end, I guess we just have to do the best we can and hope everyone isn't lying to us. :smilegrin:

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
----------------------------
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 11/4/2013 at 12:52 PM

Oh, I see. So what about the fonts available in, say, Paint.net (in stock form--nothing downloaded)? Would they be okay?

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy

[*] posted on 11/4/2013 at 03:40 PM

Not necessarily. They are licensed for Paint.net to use and are mini-programs installed when Paint.net is installed. That doesn't automatically mean they are eligible for commercial or distribution use. Usually, they are licensed for 'personal use'. If you know the font name, you can google it and find out the creator and what licenses they offered the font as. Some font designers (like Ryan does fonts) will release their fonts into the public domain. Some don't.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Michy

[*] posted on 11/4/2013 at 03:42 PM

Here's an example:

If you Google 'garamond font copyright', you'll find this page by Microsoft:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=197

It lists the font and all the restrictions and versions and such.

That takes you to the site where the font is owned here: http://www.ascendercorp.com/font/garamond/

From there, you can click on 'license' and it takes you to a contact screen, where you input what you want to use it for and get permission from the to use it--or get their quote if they're going to charge you to use it.

[Edited on 11-4-2013 by Michy]

Love and stuff,
Michy

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 11/9/2013 at 06:26 PM

Some very eye-opening stuff there. If I were a book jacket copy designer, I would pay special heed to those warnings.

I nearly got in trouble once when I included a few lines from a very popular Frank Sinatra song in one of my books. A beta reader tipped me off to it. I had no idea that a few lines, small as they were, were under copyright protection. I had to write to the holder and pay a minimum $50 fee to use them. I could have really got myself in a suit situation had I not found out about in the last hour before publication.

chris

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is…
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson
J Riva
Member Writer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/27/2013 at 07:16 PM

Can a person quote the title of a song along with naming a singer or will that get you in copyright trouble? Can you paraphrase a line from a song if you can't actually use an actual line of lyric without paying? How does one figure out who to write to to get permission?

Jean aka crazy old person :puppya:

My Blog The Misadventures of Widowhood

My Yahoo Contributor's Content Content Index

My Bookstore Page
handsomegenius
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 12/16/2015 at 09:34 PM

You're not bound contractually by a lot of this licence agreement stuff because it's unsupported by consideration.

If you've already paid for something - like an operating system, or a computer loaded with software - and then you're hit by a licence agreement when you first use it then those new terms don't form part of the contract because one party can't unilaterally introduce new terms into a contract after it has already been agreed to. They do form part of the contract if they hit you with them before you pay for it.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies