Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting Commentary about Writing For Free (or exposure)
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 12/19/2013 at 10:19 AM
Interesting Commentary about Writing For Free (or exposure)

https://chroniclevitae.com/news/90-should-academics-write-for-free

I really enjoyed reading this. A couple of thing stood out to me:

The 2008 economic crisis, combined with the transition to digital media, led to a glut of desperate writers willing to work for free—a practice that media corporations embraced and repackaged to novice journalists as “the way things have always been.”

Should academics ever write for free? Maybe.

Should academics write for free for a publisher that can afford to pay them? Never.

When you write for free for a profitable mainstream publisher, you deny yourself fair compensation while normalizing exploitation. You deserve better, and so do the writers who suffer when a fellow writer is treated as less than they are worth. Here are a few tips to stop getting screwed and start getting paid. - See more at: https://chroniclevitae.com/news/90-should-academics-write-for-free#s...

This is really well worth reading....especially if you're writing for someone for free right now, or you have ever considered it.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Relieved

[*] posted on 12/19/2013 at 04:05 PM

I really enjoyed these articles. It's so true about expecting and wanting just compensation for work performed--especially writing. I just don't get the devaluation of the writing craft and why it is so trod upon, with excuses that exposure and name-branding are essential to a career in the field. Of course, it depends upon the type of writing, nevertheless, to me at least, it's always been work, revision, editing and presentation on a professional level. I used to give ways short stories for free contributor's copies and I really can't tell you if it helped to boost my notoriety or not. I can absolutely say that some of these content and client writing sites who claim that you'll be getting your name out there, has never, ever worked for me, nor has it gained me any type of reputation, much less attracted any related offers or deals.

Writing is both an artistic form of expression and a business. I expect to get paid on the business end of it. That's why I have (with agent's guidance) declined the last 11 contract offers out of the 12 that I have received in the past five months. They were not willing to pay anything other than royalty commission. It's a risk, to be sure. But one I happily make now, instead of buckling under and taking nothing upfront or in return.

Guerrilla Warfare For Writers
http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2...

A Writer is…
A humble, receptive student and negotiator
But the heart that beats within his breast
Is a determined savage
Unfamiliar with surrender--by C.H. Stevenson
Michy

[*] posted on 10/28/2015 at 11:58 PM

Wil Wheaton writes on writing for free:

you can’t pay your rent with “the unique platform and reach our site provides”
http://wilwheaton.net/2015/10/you-cant-pay-your-rent-with-the-uniqu...

In particular, he addresses HuffPo, which we all know has enough money to pay contributors but NEVER does... sigh.

Read his commentary. It's good.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 10/29/2015 at 01:02 AM

Yes, I knew that Wil was writing, oh, for some time now. I think he started with poetry--I haven't checked on his stuff recently.

He's entirely right. No compensation, NO WORDS. You should hear Harlan Ellison's view on this matter. I've lost count of the lawsuits he's filed and won concerning this matter.

Writing is not free. It is a vocation, a job, a time-sink that is well worth the money for the investment.

I used to write for small press magazines for contributors copies. That was the start of my career. It does not and will not reflect where I am today.

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage
Michy

[*] posted on 10/29/2015 at 10:05 PM

This is absolutely one of my favorites:

Did you hear he's had a stroke?

Love and stuff,
Michy

chrisstevenson
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 10/30/2015 at 12:26 AM

Yes, I've heard he's had a stroke. I think he predicted his death 8--10 years ago but he kept on breathing, writing and cussing. God bless the old fart. I love him.

A Writer is…
Is a determined savage

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies