Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I need your thoughts on China/china
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5/30/2014 at 10:32 AM
I need your thoughts on China/china

I'm going thru the edits on my novel and the editor has changed where I have used china (small c) as in china trinkets or china dolls to China. I thought you only used China when you are talking about the country.

Also, I know you put the period or comma inside quote marks when it is a quotation (conversation), but when it is single quotes, designating a 'expression', like I just did, doesn't the comma go outside the quotes, again, as I just did? Even if it is at the end of the sentence? Let's say I end the sentence with an 'expression'. Doesn't the period go outside the quotes in that case?

Even if I'm right, should I do it her way anyway? Since I've never worked with this publisher before and don't want to "make waves"? See, there it is again. She would say it should be "make waves?"

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 5/30/2014 at 12:46 PM

I would get a new editor. You are correct on both counts.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 5/30/2014 at 04:55 PM

You are correct on both counts. I don't think you need a new editor, but don't let it slide either--mention it to her and explain why it's right.

A lot of people don't realize that it's 'french fries' and not 'French fries' as well.

Here's the thing, though--in a fiction work, why are you using single quotes anyway? You should rewrite it to remove the quotes and use the emphasis or meaning of the quotes you intended by writing it into the text. Single quotes should almost never be used in fiction, unless a character is quoting another character or quoting a literary work or show or something. Otherwise, it's weaker to use the single quotes to relay meaning to the reader. Just rewrite it, then you don't have the problem with punctuation either.

But on china dolls and china plates and just plain china, you are absolute correct. I wonder if she is just using a spellcheck for her first round edits and spellcheck is doing this automatically and she might not even realize that she's done it--so definitely mention it.

And for back up, you can tell her the APA style guide clearly indicates its lowercase.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/china?s=t

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies