Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Another One Bites the Dust: Yahoo! Contributor Network (AC) Closes Shop
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 7/2/2014 at 01:54 PM
Another One Bites the Dust: Yahoo! Contributor Network (AC) Closes Shop

Dear Contributors,
You made the past nine years incredible. At Yahoo, we're focused on making daily habits more inspiring and entertaining. That means we're constantly reviewing our products and experiences and, in some cases, we have to make tough decisions to no longer support a product. As part of our ongoing effort to sharpen our focus, on July 31, 2014, Voices.Yahoo.com will be shut down; on August 15, we will make the final Performance Payment before Contributor.Yahoo.com closes. With the exception of content you provided to Yahoo under a work for hire license, or unless Yahoo arranges differently with you, we will remove from Yahoo all content published through Yahoo Contributor Network and rights for all of your Yahoo Contributor Network content will revert to you.

We know you have a lot of questions. Please refer to this FAQ for details.

It has been such an incredible privilege to share your talents with the world over these past nine years. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.

-The Yahoo Contributor Network Team

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
opher
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7/2/2014 at 02:47 PM

Amazing how convenient it is that they stop paying so soon after our payouts went up. Or am I being too cynical?

Michy

[*] posted on 7/2/2014 at 02:56 PM

Actually, Opher, they are still going to pay us for June and July--our last payment will be in August and on July 31, all our content will be removed from the site. They've added a download button for everyone to download all our content and ALL right revert back to us, so we can put them up on other websites now.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
opher
Literary Master

[*] posted on 7/2/2014 at 03:04 PM

I saw all that, and it's certainly better than had they simply shut down with no notice. However, it's puzzling that so soon after the page views jumped, which supposedly means more income to Yahoo, they decide to shut it down.

Michy

[*] posted on 7/2/2014 at 09:49 PM

Ah, gotcha... i don't know. I really have a lot of 'conspiracy theory' feelings about the whole thing with Voices and what's going on now.... this was too expected by me--I saw it coming. It's just strange HOW it's all happening. Then Helium and Suite101 both stopped paying folks... it's sort of an end of an era/age here, with all the content sites going away. The next one, I fear, will be About.com... but they'll take longer to go down, because they vet their writers and sources and have some editing oversight and quality control on their site.

I think that Google was too easy to game in the beginning and as Google gets better and better at search engines algorithms, the harder it will be for writers to game the system.

Love and stuff,
Michy

opher
Literary Master

[*] posted on 7/5/2014 at 10:08 AM

Has anyone ever heard of fullofknowledge? I saw this in a comment on a piece about Y!CN shutting down ( http://searchengineland.com/panda-strikes-yahoo-voices-yahoo-contri... ):

"Well, the writers for that site are going to be disappointed. Good thing there is still good sites out there to write for. Those writers should bring their old yahoo articles to fullofknowledge for a few different reasons. They are NOT closing down, They paid out a rate of $44.08 per 1000 views for June (and paid it on July 2), and the editorial staff is friendly and RESPONSIVE. fullofknowledge is there for the writers to fall back on." - Crazy Texan

If it's true and legit, that's more than 20 times higher than Y!CN's. It doesn't seem realistic, but who knows.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies