Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tag, you're it!
Witchmojo
Master Writer

Mood: Always thoughtful

[*] posted on 7/16/2014 at 01:33 AM
Tag, you're it!

I noticed, when adding a story to my blog page the other day that it pointed out my lack of tags. It then occurred to me that I have a couple of problems with tags.

1 - Why tag? As I understand it, tags have something to do with searches. Do people really put 'short story fantasy dark' into Google and come up with my page? Not that I could see... Does tagging actually work?

2 - If it works, how? Is there a magic formula of tag words we are supposed to use for our stuff to show up on a Google search? What are these magical words which will send a stream of new readers to my site?

Anyone know?
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 7/17/2014 at 01:28 AM

Well, no.. it has to do with SEO (search engine optimization)... tagging adds additional keywords to your blog while also telling the search engines (mostly google) what your blog is about. Tags should be one or maybe two words, not phrase--words, single words most of the time. They should be words that are descriptive of your blog post.

For example: "short story" "fantasy" "dark fantasy"

Not 'short story fantasy dark'

Then each one of the tags is also clickable, so that a reader who sees the tags and wants to see more like that can then click the tag and get a list of all the blog posts you've made that match those tags.

It helps categorize your blogs for search engines and for readers.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Michy

[*] posted on 7/17/2014 at 01:31 AM

Oh, and.. each tag becomes a new 'page' on your blog that is indexable by search engines too. So if you put a tag 'short story', you essentially have now created a new page with that tag and it will list on that page every post that has ever used the tag 'short story', which instantly adds more indexable and 'findable' pages to your blog, without YOU having to make more pages manually. Every single tag becomes a page, automatically, and that means more pages indexed by search engines and that means more people will find your blog from different methods.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Witchmojo
Master Writer

Mood: Always thoughtful

[*] posted on 7/19/2014 at 08:30 AM

I'm not sure I really understand, if I am honest. I think it is all a bit beyond my tech knowledge. I will try talking to my tech-savvy son and see if he can explain it to me in words of one letter :D Thanks anyway, Michy ;)
Michy

[*] posted on 7/19/2014 at 09:03 PM

The simplistic version is this:

tagging makes your blog more easily discoverable in search engines in more ways, which could potentially lead to more readers of your blog.

Love and stuff,
Michy

artfirms
Super Moderator

Mood: Always hopeful.

[*] posted on 7/20/2014 at 03:42 AM

Quote:

According to Matt Cutts, Google Software Engineer: Because of the likelihood of keyword spamming and the more accurate indexing attained by web crawlers, Google has not used the keyword meta tag for years.

Good news: you don't really need them anymore. :)

Pages are indexed according to their actual content. The meta tags for 'title' and 'description' are used to display in the search results of Google/Bing/Yahoo/etc

The 'keywords' meta tags are deprecated since the early '10s as they were abused by webmasters/bloggers to spam with irrelevant keywords.

Think of 'cute kitten', 'free download' as keywords on a page that talks about your new book. That's cheating!

However, some SEO tools will give you a bad rating if you don't use them. Their logic: better safe than sorry.

I've not used them in the past year while building sites (and we do around 30+ a year) without negative impact.

You can affect the click rate by adding so called 'microdata'. http://schema.org/docs/gs.html

This will display additional info right under the search result for your page like product price, reviews with stars, your picture; if you have a Google+ account and more. This extra markup looks nice and make people click more.

The gist: write unique content with good markup and layout (using headertags (h1, h2, etc), alt tags for images, and more.

B has written a post about a (WordPress) post's layout which you can read here: https://evershosting.com/blog/improve-your-success-on-the-web/

It's 2 years old but should still be good:cool:

[Edited on 20/7/2014 by artfirms]
Michy

[*] posted on 7/20/2014 at 04:48 AM

Farah, they decided to stop doing the author pictures on the search results (pout)

Love and stuff,
Michy

artfirms
Super Moderator

Mood: Always hopeful.

[*] posted on 7/20/2014 at 05:15 AM

Yeah, they want you to use G+ account to make it appear. Here's what they say (http://moz.com/blog/bye-bye-author-pics):

"In his announcement, John Mueller said they were working to clean up the visual design of search results, and also to create a "better mobile experience and a more consistent design across devices."

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies