Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: too or ,too. ?
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7/16/2014 at 07:45 AM
too or ,too. ?

I've just been thru the 3rd (and final) go round of edits for Betrayal. Only about half a dozen small things my editor suggested. Like a transition sentence between two paragraphs and, in another place, a change of wording because of something further along in the book,

But one thing she caught this time and asked me about was the use of a comma before the word 'too' at the end of a sentence. She said I used it sometimes and sometimes I didn't. She said both ways are correct, but I had to be consistent So I said yes, use it. That's the way I was taught. Any time I left it out, I was just being careless.

But did I do it correctly? Should I have left them all out? (Too late this time, but next book...) When you are speaking it doesn't sound like a comma is there. Hmmm.

Witchmojo
Master Writer

Mood: Always thoughtful

[*] posted on 7/16/2014 at 08:45 AM

I hear a comma there, but that may also be because I was taught that way. I think I have evolved to the point where I use the comma depending on how the sentence reads to me, but as both are correct I would carry on with whichever is most comfortable for you :)
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7/16/2014 at 01:24 PM

Gill, I think maybe I had evolved to "depending on how the sentence reads to me", but that was the problem. It has to be all one way or the other. The comma is in, at least for now.

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 7/17/2014 at 01:21 AM

She is correct in stating that both ways are considered correct. The style guides say it's more a matter of preference now than anything else, but the important thing is consistency--so pick one you like and stick with it all the way through.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 7/17/2014 at 06:34 PM

I use it but can see how it'd be okay either way. I'm not exactly Captain Comma, but I do like them more than the average writer, it seems.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies