Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interested in Writing for Harlequin Romance?
Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8/19/2008 at 07:12 PM
Interested in Writing for Harlequin Romance?

http://www.eharlequin.com/articlepage.html?articleId=538&chapter=0

Lots of different opportunities available to people interested in writing specific genre/style romances.

Check 'em out. If you like writing romance, this is a great way to get a foot int he door and get published.

moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 8/19/2008 at 07:40 PM

Michy, I could kiss you.
As I told Laurie last week, I have had this damn romance novel kicking around in my head and demanding to be let out. I have a little over 10,000 words right now and I can't seem to get them to shut up!
I never intended to write a romance, but welll apparently my brain had other ideas. I had listed finding this information on my things to do list.
You rock!

Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8/19/2008 at 07:48 PM

I know one lady who wrote for them who was willing to share her financial stuff - it may differ for everyone - but she was offered a contract of $10k per book for four books.

she was paid $5k for the first installment of the first book in advance. She then was given a $5k advance to start the second book. When the second book was completed, she received the balance of the 5k from the first book and then a 5k advance on the third book.

If she stopped writing and did not finish all four books, she would have walked away with only what she'd already paid.

The final pay if she completed all four books would have been $40,000... no royalties.

I can't 'verify' that, as I'm only taking her word for it, but it's similar to what someone else told me too about what they told her when she queried, though she never wrote for them.

I am not sure which of the imprints/divisions either of them were looking at though.

Some of the imprints/divisions on that link I posted are shorts as part of an anthology, online, etc... lots of options there.

Good luck with your writing!

twnkltoz

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11/24/2010 at 04:00 PM

Has anyone tried writing for Harlequin? I read on another forum that they do pay royalties, but I can't confirm that. I started one for their Tender Romance line a few years ago, but never finished it. Turns out now that it kind of sucks, so I don't know if I'll ever go back and finish it.

moonshadow68

[*] posted on 11/24/2010 at 05:02 PM

Jen,

Per the two writers I have spoken to who write for them, they pay a decent advance, but the real money is in the royalties...which are significantly higher for ebooks than for print. I have two novellas submitted to them and am working on some projects to submit for an open submission period that ends Dec. 15th...the info is on the eharlequin blog.

twnkltoz

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11/24/2010 at 05:19 PM

Cool! Good luck!

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11/24/2010 at 10:50 PM

I have started a Romance--I'm 17K into it. I'll check out trying with them when I get it finished, but it sure would be pushing it to finish by Dec. 15, what with a trip for my granddaughter's wedding in the meantime, plus losing writing time because of Thanksgiving.
moonshadow68

[*] posted on 11/25/2010 at 01:21 PM

Nancy,

The Dec. 15 open submission is not for finished manuscripts...it's for synopsis and first three chapters.

jennycorvette
Extraordinary Writer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/26/2010 at 01:37 AM

I too plan to check this out, possible the Nocturne Bites category for a longer piece that I wrote long long ago. Is that "first three chapter" deadline for all the categories?

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies