Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dads memoirs
flyingbird65
Founding Member

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8/29/2014 at 08:37 AM
Dads memoirs

OK, I am faced with a few questions.

Dad's memoirs are basically his autobiography. That I know.

The basics of his autobiography is broken down to 2 main parts: Timeline 1 is from birth to the end of his military service in the 50s and Timeline 2 covers from 50s to Aug 25, 2014 (yes he's that up to date on it. I've informed him that that will be the cut off date for the book form)

The rest of his work is in the form of Addendum. There are approximately 100 of those. Also are a few post scripts, and hundreds of pictures. Most of the pictures are his or families. Some he found on the internet as a way to support or clarify his point of historical information he's added. (note: Dad is a retired teacher, among other things, so he's always teaching, even in his own Autobiography. LOL)

First, I need to know the best way to include the post script. I assume that goes at the end of the book.

Second, how to do the addendum's. The addendum's are broken up into Timeline 1 and Timeline 2. My idea here is to place those (numbered as he has them) after the actual autobiography. However I have also thought to placing them after each corresponding Timeline ( Timeline 1 + Addendums for Timeline 1 followed by Timeline 2 + Addendums for Timeline 2). Any suggestions here would be a major help.

Also some of the Addendum's are not actually personal experiences but more historical retelling based on available facts and supported with internet research, pictures, etc. If this was a normal book kind of thing I wouldn't bother using those addendums. But...not sure how I could exclude them without being considered offensive to Dad. Ya know what I mean? So since I don't know where he got all the pictures for these addendums how do I still use the pictures without fear of copyright? If at all?

Finally and likely most important basic book formatting. What is it? (line spacing, chapter placement, etc)

I will be doing a Table of Content I'm sure no matter how I do this.

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird
itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 8/29/2014 at 01:31 PM

No idea- maybe go browse some memoirs and see how they did it?

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 9/1/2014 at 07:57 PM

Jeff, as far as the pictures, here's the deal... if no one but family is EVER going to see this, then you're probably fine to use pictures he found off the internet. But if you ever plan to show it to others or sell it at all, you can't. Even if you find them on the internet, and know where they came from, just giving credit isn't enough--you have to get permission in writing to use them.

I would really consider the images though--because, honestly, if they aren't images he took himself or that are of him or that he owns, then there's really no emotional attachment or reason to need those images in the book.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

flyingbird65
Founding Member

[*] posted on 9/2/2014 at 03:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Michy  
Jeff, as far as the pictures, here's the deal... if no one but family is EVER going to see this, then you're probably fine to use pictures he found off the internet. But if you ever plan to show it to others or sell it at all, you can't. Even if you find them on the internet, and know where they came from, just giving credit isn't enough--you have to get permission in writing to use them.

I would really consider the images though--because, honestly, if they aren't images he took himself or that are of him or that he owns, then there's really no emotional attachment or reason to need those images in the book.

I agree completely here, now. I have spoken to dad about all this and feel cutting pictures will be a requirement. There are just way to many. Also I will have to cut some of the addendums. Dad has giving me pretty much full reign over how I put this book together for him. That being said he has also encouraged on the selling front. He doesn't believe anyone would be interested in his life. But has stated to me that if I want to try to sell a book to do so and keep the money for myself.

Problem is I wasn't doing this with money in mind. But I do believe some people (between 5 to 20) would be interesting in buying a book copy of his autobiography.

I'm a long way away yet from finalizing anything so still have some time to make the final decisions. What ever the final outcome turns out to be I at least I know I have dad's full blessing. That is the important thing.

Bird
flyingbird65
Founding Member

[*] posted on 9/7/2014 at 08:44 PM

Just re-bumping this up. Still need to get some information.

Bird
Michy

[*] posted on 9/8/2014 at 06:35 PM

What else are you needing to know right now, Jeff?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

flyingbird65
Founding Member

[*] posted on 9/10/2014 at 07:56 PM

What else are you needing to know right now, Jeff?

Currently, I am still working on first edit for last few pages (took a break due to other commitments) and started a second edit review of the stuff I've already looked at. I've deleted some pictures that were not his personal property (off internet, etc) after getting his blessing to do as I see fit to get this done.

I am thinking very seriously to take all the pictures out and see what I have for pages. Then go back and add pictures back but at end of each timeline with a reference to them throughout the book. That is my biggest hold up from getting this done. Well that and the Office 2010 Word program and I are not close friends. So we argue a lot.

I am getting real close to needing to know proper layout - margins, spacing (line, paragraph, etc) picture placement (left side, right side, middle, etc).

Also I am thinking of posting some of this in the critique section for others to can look at it and see what they suggest.

I think I will be doing away with at least one addendum due to its over all content being non-autobiography related. Its dads take on Obama. Great for one purpose but doesn't fit in here. Or I may move it to end of book with some other non-autobiography stuff. Really not sure yet. So will hold off a bit.

I feel like I need to get moving faster on this - not sure why - but something is tugging at me about it.

Bird
Michy

[*] posted on 9/10/2014 at 08:15 PM

You need to go to CreateSpace and make an account and decide what trim size you're going with for the book--that will help me determine how to do the formatting and what margins and stuff for me to tell you--they also have some great how-to info and templates to use for formatting that might help you too!

Love and stuff,
Michy

flyingbird65
Founding Member

[*] posted on 9/11/2014 at 08:27 PM

OK, I may very well have to break this up into two books. Currently, even after removing a lot of pictures that came from the Internet, I will still be well over 500 pages. Createspace only allows max of 480. :( That sucks - kind of.

Partly it sucks because that means I need to cut some content. However, that maybe be to my advantage. If I take things as he has written them (except with whatever editing is done) then I can do book one as his Autobiography. Than book two can be mostly his addendums.

Bird
flyingbird65
Founding Member

[*] posted on 9/11/2014 at 08:30 PM

You need to go to CreateSpace and make an account and decide what trim size you're going with for the book--that will help me determine how to do the formatting and what margins and stuff for me to tell you--they also have some great how-to info and templates to use for formatting that might help you too!

Currently, I had selected a 8 x 10 but considering changing that. Might go with a 6 x 9. Any suggestions would be appreciated here.

I am going to also post a copy of his work that I am currently editing in the critique section of the forum for review by anyone willing. But also to help you and anyone else better answer my questions.

Bird

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies