Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What am I free to use?
plntpolice
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: hoping things get better

[*] posted on 10/9/2014 at 11:41 AM
What am I free to use?

The main character in my novel is a baseball fan, as am I. During the broadcast of every game the announcers always read a standard disclaimer about how the "descriptions and accounts" of the game are property of the team or MLB.

Of course, I understand broadly that no part of a broadcast could be used, but I'm getting a bit hazy about my character's dialogue. If she's attending a game and is thrilled to see Russell Martin hit a home run over the right field wall, that's okay, isn't it? The story would allude to an actual game, the date of which would be easy to figure out, and the home run actually occurred in that game. It seems to me an event like that is public record.

When life hands you a rotten tomato, save it, cause someone you'd like to throw it at will come along soon.
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 10/9/2014 at 04:44 PM

I can't imagine someone writing down the facts of a particular game without actually quoting anything could violate copyright at all. The fact that Russel Martin hit a home run in some game could hardly be protected information.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 10/10/2014 at 01:41 AM

Right.... doing a blow by blow on a podcast is not allowed, but a recap of the game after it's over is okay. It's all about how they can profit versus you profiting. Putting info about someone in a book that is real like that isn't protected in any way. You're good to even have a character at the game and have some action from the real game in the book--but you're not using it for the purpose of presenting the game to the reader--it's just additional background and setting for your book.... so you're cool!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

plntpolice
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 10/10/2014 at 09:21 AM

Whew! Good, thanks. My first attempt at a novel is making me second guess everything.

I'm 9,200 words into it and feeling total despair because no one would ever want to read what I've written. I need to keep telling myself that this is a first draft and I can improve it. Simply getting that many words written is a big triumph for me, even if they're crappy words.

When life hands you a rotten tomato, save it, cause someone you'd like to throw it at will come along soon.
Michy

[*] posted on 10/10/2014 at 09:42 AM

You need to read Anne Lamotte.... Bird by Bird. She has an entire chapter called Shitty First Drafts (I think that's it).... and it's hilarious! I'm dead serious--if you can, pick up the book and read it. It'll change the way you write. It did for me, and I really didn't have 'major' issues, but I do understand that, "no one will want to read it" feeling... but it's not true. Someone will read it. There's a market out there for everyone. But to find that market, you have to write it first!

The other stuff, that all comes later--right now, your job is just to get the words down on paper (or computer or whatever!)

I highly, highly recommend this book. If rough language bothers you, you've been warned--she's not 'nice' about things, but she's super funny!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 10/11/2014 at 09:23 AM

I second the book suggestion. It's a great one.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
M. Lori Motley

Michy

[*] posted on 10/11/2014 at 10:26 AM

It really is. I love her attitude. She's a little crazy, but I feel like I'm her brand of crazy most of the time too. I laughed and nodded throughout the entire book! I really liked the picture frame concept on days I'm feeling overwhelmed too... one inch by one inch, just one little frame.... it's all doable!

I also can relate to the chapter where she talked about spreading her book out on the floor, printed, and moving chapters around.... I've so done that!

It's just a good book for the disorganized, new writer to learn that we're not all crazy--we're crazy crazy!

Love and stuff,
Michy

plntpolice
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 10/12/2014 at 10:00 AM

That sounds great. I'm not touchy about salty language and I love funny, good-crazy writing.

Did I ever tell you how much I appreciate your encouragement? An old friend visited me from out of state yesterday and we discussed my book. She produces a great deal of articulate writing in the course of her work, and she gave me some thoughtful feedback on a plot point. While my family and friends have been supportive about my book idea, I feel that the remarks and encouragement of fellow writers mean even more to me.

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Reflective...

[*] posted on 10/12/2014 at 12:28 PM

I'd heard of this book. Just bought it--thanks!

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
plntpolice
Accentuate Writer!

[*] posted on 10/13/2014 at 11:54 AM

I ordered Bird by Bird and also Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence by Lisa Cron. I read a great review of it months ago.

Michy

[*] posted on 10/13/2014 at 12:16 PM

Let me know what you think of them both. I loved Bird by Bird. If the other one interests you, I might pick it up. I tend to shy away from books that tell me HOW to write. I will read about editing and how to write queries and stuff like that, but when it comes to my stories, I write them for the characters, for the sake of the story, and I will never change that. If they don't sell, they don't sell, but I won't compromise the 'truth' of the story for the sake of the sale.

That doesn't mean I can't find something useful in a book like that though!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies