Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Author, 17, Says It’s ‘Mixing,’ Not Plagiarism
RobertArend
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11/24/2014 at 12:16 PM
Author, 17, Says It’s ‘Mixing,’ Not Plagiarism

Excerpt from the NYT report:

"For the obviously gifted Ms. Hegemann, who already had a play (written and staged) and a movie (written, directed and released in theaters) to her credit, it was an early ascension to the ranks of artistic stardom. That is, until a blogger last week uncovered material in the novel taken from the less-well-known novel “Strobo,” by an author writing under the nom de plume Airen. In one case, an entire page was lifted with few changes.

As other unattributed sources came to light, outsize praise quickly turned to a torrent of outrage, reminiscent of the uproar in 2006 over a Harvard sophomore, Kaavya Viswanathan, who was caught plagiarizing numerous passages in her much praised debut novel. But Ms. Hegemann’s story took a very different turn.

On Thursday, Ms. Hegemann’s book was announced as one of the finalists for the $20,000 prize of the Leipzig Book Fair in the fiction category. And a member of the jury said Thursday that the panel had been aware of the plagiarism charges before they made their final selection."

Link to the full report: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/world/europe/12germany.html?_r=3&...

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 11/24/2014 at 12:24 PM

This is why I write my own stuff, good or not.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 11/24/2014 at 02:25 PM

“There’s no such thing as originality anyway, just authenticity,” said Ms. Hegemann in a statement released by her publisher after the scandal broke.

///////////////

BULLSHIT!

Sigh.

My son is in college. He was writing a report on Ghandi. He was writing on the computer and asked me, "What's a simpler way of saying [such and such]."

I was like, "Wha?"

He was taking the words directly from the book he was researching Ghandi with and simply rewriting what they already said using different words--now, mind you, that's what he THINKS we all do. But I paraphrase the intent of the other person's writing and then cite my source.

He was simply changing some of the bigger words to 'simpler' ones and said, "As long as I tell them what book I used, it's fine right?"

I tried and tried to explain this to him.... and he seriously doesn't understand why it's a big deal to me. He thinks I'm being 'old fashioned' about it.

I hate this attitude in the 'arts' right now. Everything is derivative--but it's not stolen!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 11/25/2014 at 11:11 AM

Bingo.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 11/25/2014 at 06:38 PM

But you know what? It's all shadowing the larger 'entitlement mentality' that is endemic in society today. People who think that file sharing music and books is okay, and that it's not pirating, and that the authors should be HAPPY that their works were STOLEN, 'cause it means more people will read them now! Screw the money or the fact it took a year of their life or more to write that book. Screw the fact that only a very small handful of authors make enough money to live off the earnings exclusively--no, we're all money-grubbing scum suckers for wanting to get paid for doing something that not just anyone can do and even fewer can do well and even fewer than that can actually get published in a venue that is large enough to actually make money at it.... and now you want to take that skill, art, talent, time, and effort and steal it for your own purposes and share it, and I'm supposed to be grateful for that, because a few more people might read me?

How does that help me or anyone else?

I don't get the mentality that we're entitled to just take whatever we want.

Now... not having read this book, though, I have to wonder... the character in the book was the type who 'stole' from others, so using some things as it pertains to the character, is actually expected. That would be explainable.

But to have 1 1/2 pages that is nearly identical to another story, with only a tiny bit of changes? That's simply not acceptable.

And then, instead of persecuting her, as has happened to plagiarist in the past, they are rewarding her with literary awards?

A person who doesn't believe anything CAN be original is getting awards. A plagiarist is getting awards.

And I keep getting rejection letters....

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies