Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amazon Offers All-You-Can-Eat Books, But Authors Turn Up Their Noses
RobertArend
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/28/2014 at 07:19 PM
Amazon Offers All-You-Can-Eat Books, But Authors Turn Up Their Noses

Excerpts from the NYT article:

For romance and mystery novelists who embraced digital technology, loved chatting up their fans and wrote really, really fast, the last few years have been a golden age. Fiction underwent a boom unseen since the postwar era, when seemingly every liberal arts major set his sights on the Great American Novel.

Now, though, the world has more stories than it needs or wants to pay for. In 2010, Amazon had 600,000 e-books in its Kindle store. Today it has more than three million. The number of books on Smashwords, which distributes self-published writers, grew 20 percent last year. The number of free books rose by one-third.

Revenue from e-books leveled off in 2013 at $3 billion after increasing nearly 50 percent in 2012, according to BookStats. But Kindle Unlimited is making the glut worse, some writers say.

Kindle Unlimited is less generous, paying a fluctuating amount. In July, the fee for a digital “borrow” was $1.80. It fell to $1.33 in October before rebounding slightly to $1.39 in November.

Since the payment is the same whether the book is long or short, writers are taking the hint. Serial novels and short stories are increasing."

Ms. Ward, 37, started self-publishing in 2011 with “Demon Kissed,” a paranormal tale for teenagers, and quickly became one of Amazon’s breakout successes, selling more than six million books, according to her website. She said in an interview that she does not understand what her partner Amazon is thinking.

“Your rabid romance reader who was buying $100 worth of books a week and funneling $5,200 into Amazon per year is now generating less than $120 a year,” she said. “The revenue is just lost. That doesn’t work well for Amazon or the writers.

Link to full NYT article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/technology/amazon-offers-all-you-...

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 12/29/2014 at 03:56 PM

Depressing.

I'm still hoping though!

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 12/30/2014 at 09:50 AM

I'm actually sort of hoping this might cause some of the 'wannabes' who aren't really writing quality books and are flooding the marketplace with crap to pull back and stop writing. Those who are good might get a chance to be found in the sea of crapola.

But yes, when I read this, I found it depressing too.

I too still have hope though!

I know me. I'm going to write whether I ever get another penny from it or not... so I might as well keep striving to get my stuff out there.

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
RobertArend
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12/30/2014 at 10:08 AM

Out of the gloom is this sparkle of a better future for the short story: "Since the payment is the same whether the book is long or short, writers are taking the hint. Serial novels and short stories are increasing."

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 12/30/2014 at 11:37 AM

Very true and primarily my focus for self-published works. Slightly less depressing.

I'm still a believer in the cream rising to the top as well.

Like Michy said, still going to do it no matter what.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies