Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 2015 New Year's Writing Resolutions!
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 1/1/2015 at 03:32 PM
2015 New Year's Writing Resolutions!

Whether you call it a resolution or a goal, what is your plan for your writing in the new year? Post it here for all to see so you have accountability to yourself and others can help keep you motivated!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Michy

[*] posted on 1/1/2015 at 03:35 PM

My new year's writing resolution is that I will finally finish The Advocate, and make a huge dent on Firestorm, if not finish it, by the end of the year. I also would like to at least start querying The Advocate before the end of the year to agents.

I'd also like to finish the THREE series and get the audio books done for it with Lilah--love her voice! And finish my two novellas in the works and get them up on Kindle.

I also have two nonfiction works I plan to publish on Kindle and I'd like to get them done before the end of this year too.

I think I can do it all... health willing, it should be easy enough!

Fingers crossed!

What about you?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 1/2/2015 at 12:26 PM

Same goal as last year! :smilegrin: I might even start another daily thread to check in.

I have about 3 series, 2 novels, several random novellas, over ten shorts planned atm... in varying degrees of completion. I also want to submit a short for publication once per month this year. I only did 6 last year. (Just got my last rejection.)

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
artfirms
Super Moderator

Mood: Always hopeful.

[*] posted on 1/2/2015 at 03:15 PM

- Finish my WIP (sci-fi novel) and get it edited.
- Query it.

- I might consider writing another short story and submitting somewhere. If I don't place at all in GT's Fiction Open, I'll resub that one too.

That's it. I'm a simple gal with simple goals.
Michy

[*] posted on 2/27/2015 at 10:54 PM

It's almost three months into the new year--how are you resolutions holding up?

Love and stuff,
Michy

artfirms
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2/28/2015 at 01:34 AM

I'm 22k into my new novel. Going at a snail's pace as usual but I'll keep at it until it's done.

Glimmer Train results are sometime next month. Realistically, I'm not holding my breath. I know how tough it is to even get long-listed with them.

What about you? How's The Advocate coming along? And Abducted?
Michy

[*] posted on 2/28/2015 at 01:09 PM

I've got both opened right now and am working on them today, in fact! At the same time! LOL When I get stuck on one, I move over to the other!

Love and stuff,
Michy

artfirms
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 2/28/2015 at 04:12 PM

That's a good way to do things. :lol:
artfirms
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3/1/2015 at 09:44 AM

Got my second rejection. I guess going for the top dogs is a bit too ambitious of me. But I'll try them all before I move down the ladder. Re-subbed to another magazine... here we go again. Round 3. :cool:
Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 3/1/2015 at 12:49 PM

My goal is to finish all the danglers and then start something new. I have a neat formula now that Id like to try out but I can't, in good conscience, do that until I have a few of these stragglers buttoned up.

I like things neat.

Also, go Farah!

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.
artfirms
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3/1/2015 at 01:24 PM

I understand, D. Gotta tie those loose ends first.
And.. thanks. lol.
Michy

[*] posted on 3/1/2015 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by artfirms  
Got my second rejection. I guess going for the top dogs is a bit too ambitious of me. But I'll try them all before I move down the ladder. Re-subbed to another magazine... here we go again. Round 3. :cool:

No, not too ambitious at all! Keep doing it! Remember, it was B who submitted you to us, and look where that took you? you never know! And you're doing it right! Submit big first, then work your way down--never the other way around!

Love and stuff,
Michy

artfirms
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 3/2/2015 at 01:01 AM

Right on, M. :smilegrin:
plntpolice
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: hoping things get better

[*] posted on 3/2/2015 at 05:34 PM

My WIP is only up to a little under 13,000 words. I plotted out a month by month timeline last fall and by now I should be about 3/4 done. *sigh* I got sidetracked into family genealogy, yikes, is that addictive. Don't ever start it unless you've given up writing and all obligations.

When life hands you a rotten tomato, save it, cause someone you'd like to throw it at will come along soon.
Michy

[*] posted on 5/17/2015 at 03:03 PM

Update!

How's everyone doing on their writing goals for the year so far?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 5/18/2015 at 10:01 AM

I've stuck to my submission goal of 1 short per month so far. Got 2 rejections (one in 27 minutes) and still waiting on the others. Just submitted my short for May but actually have another one I'm working on for the end of the month.

I'm writing a lot on other things, but since I have so many projects, nothing new is quite done yet. I want to get multiples in series finished before I self-publish any of them. I'm on track with my word count goals so far!

Besides the short stories, everything else I'm working on is for self-publication atm.

[Edited on 18-5-2015 by Melanie]

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
Michy

[*] posted on 5/18/2015 at 10:58 AM

I once got a rejection in 7 minutes. And it might have been even faster, because my email was set to check every 5 minutes, so... yeah, that one felt GREAT!

I can't wait to see your first solo work out on your own!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Father Luke
Super Moderator

Mood: Yes. Of course.

[*] posted on 6/2/2015 at 02:26 PM
Re: Goals for 2015

I think I read somewhere Ray Bradbury had a goal of being published. Then he had a goal of being published once a year. Then once a month. Then once a day. I'm assuming 'being published' was synonymous with 'being paid'.

My 2015 Goals

1.)

I've set up a YouTube channel with the intention of putting up, once a month, me reading one of my written works. Then, after the month, archiving it/taking it off the web. It will be a mix of reworked old stuff and new stuff. This will be stuff I have published/won't submit; this will be stuff I want to 'give away for free'

a.) Pick things I want to broadcast from old stuff
b.) Write new stuff
c.) Read the stuff and upload it once a month and archive the previous

2.)

Creating a list of markets I want to target -- paying markets -- and then submit to them with the intention of following the Ray Bradbury thingamajig ...until I am being paid everyday, whether I'm working, playing or sleeping

a.) Cull markets for submission
b.) Write
c.) Send off my work

I work this way:

1.) Problem
2.) Solution
3.) Plan of action
4.) Results

So, in example ...

1.) Problem:

Not being a paid writer

2.)Solution:

Being a paid writer

3.) Plan of action:

4.) Results:

So, my overall goal is to go full time as a writer, and 2015 has been my beginning.

Yes, I see. Of course.
Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6/3/2015 at 07:49 AM

Excellent goals! Good luck!

boom427
Member Writer

[*] posted on 6/3/2015 at 09:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Michy  
Quote: Originally posted by artfirms  

No, not too ambitious at all! Keep doing it! Remember, it was B who submitted you to us, and look where that took you? you never know! And you're doing it right! Submit big first, then work your way down--never the other way around!

I'm so new to writing that even the idea of a rejection letter sounds amazing. It's like, "you submitted your work to Glimmer Train? Amazeballs!" And then my brain ignores that you got a rejection because I'm still so impressed by the bravery of the submission! Now, while I have heard of Glimmer train, I am not super familiar with other places that people 'submit big'. What are these places? I have lists and lists of possible places to submit, but very little knowledge as to what are the biggest, or most discerning, etc.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies